No customization options are available.

First Two Up for 2016

Discussion in 'Canadian Riders' started by Bazza Beemer, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

well gang, it was 22*c here in Calgary today so on my dealers advice I went riding. Wife wanted to tag along as well. She is on that bike like a fat kid on a smartie. We went out to a place called Bragg Creek (famous for on location filming of a Cdn tv show North of 60) and there was 100s of bikes out there. Every brand and type but one that caught my eye was a BMW air cooled older RT type bike. It was definitely an older bike and had rounded bags with air cooled engine. Was in pristine shape but he was leaving just as we got back to our bike so missed him for taking a picture of the bike. Another thing was (someone else has eluded to this before) the preload adjustment was sure slow in changing from 1 helmet / bag to 2 helmets. In fact I thought it was not going to adjust but after we travelled a couple hundred meters it adjusted. I will run it through the dealer and advise.

GeeCee and Scorch like this.
  2. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

It shouldn't require travelling any distance before it changes. It is just a time-delay on my bike. I just set it to whatever setting I want and then wait a few seconds and it timesout and changes mode.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  3. Spiky

Spiky Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that the suspension would only change if the bike was stationery. When I change mine from one to two, it always thinks about it for about 5 - 10 seconds, then adjusts. The whole process takes maybe half a minute or so. I'm pretty sure that it was about the same on my GS.

Either way, it's still quicker than messing around with a preload knob.

4. Bazza Beemer

I will run it through different settings tomorrow and see if it improves. It is going to rain anyway.

Spiky - I gave up trying to set it but few 100 yards up the road I noticed the 2 helmets on the setting. Last year mine was like yours and only took 30 odd seconds to change.

5. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

You must be a wow with all the women you smooth talker, you.

Scorch and Grumpy Goat like this.
  6. Bazza Beemer

Yeah Andy I hear ya. Wife was born in Hammersmith and is same size as when she walked up the aisle to me. But she sure likes biking which some say is good and some say is bad. Wanted to get her a bike like the DCT 700 Honda but she wants 3 wheels so looks like it will be a CanAm Spyder. A 510lb bike for her like ours is never going to be in the equation - too bad but true.

7. Bazza Beemer

Guys it was hot again today - what can I say. So off we went again but went past Bragg Creek this time and took some winding roads further south. Wife is becoming a good pillion after some hairy corners before when she moved around on the seat. BTW - the preload adjustment was a good boy today and changed quickly like last year. Makes me wonder if sitting over the winter sort of seizes it up a bit. Sounds silly but obviously problems should not fix themselves. Will talk to the dealer as was going to advise from the slow adjusting issue but that's gone now! So will still let you all know what's up.

8. Spiky

Spiky Well-Known Member

Has your wife lost weight?

9. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Spiky see post immediately above, she is reported to be the same size! One more potential variable eliminated!

10. Bazza Beemer

Spiky I am afraid if wife lost weight she would have to jump around in the shower to get wet!

Back to the real story - I believe we should adjust preload as often as we can even if we set it to a setting we don't want then go back. Still dealer gets a call today.

Andy Griffiths likes this.
  11. GeeCee

GeeCee Member

Can someone do a short video on this for the slightly retarded like me?:confused:

12. Bazza Beemer

GeeCee do you want a video on weight loss or preload changing? If the latter then all I was referring to is each first ride of the day I may have preload set on 1 helmet, so I change to helmet+bag, wait for adjustment to complete, then go 2 helmets, wait, then go back to my 1 helmet for solo riding. IE cycle the preload through to make everything work better. It is getting faster now by doing this.

13. GeeCee

GeeCee Member

S##t, both would be good :D, but seriously, I can get the preload to flash, I just can't get it to move to a new setting (in less than about 50 pushes of different buttons over about 30-45 seconds). Which button changes the setting?
    Cheers

14. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

You adjusted it while the bike was running but not sitting on it I hope?

That's the manual's version of how it should be done.

15. Bazza Beemer

I sit on mine but yes engine running and brake on to prevent movement. Without the manual in front of me I thought it said prefer to keep weight off and keep pillion off?

16. Bazza Beemer

The button that has the spring on it that looks like a shock. With engine running and bike not moving simply scroll to your desired setting, observe it flashing and wait. It should change. Otherwise something wrong.

17. GeeCee

GeeCee Member

Yup, if I hold that down nothing happens (for a while), so I keep holding it down (10-15 secs) then usually it will start to flash. Then I think "great" I'll just give it another tap and it will change to the next setting - nah! So after I get it to flash again, I keep holding it - nah! And so on .... then somewhere around my 3rd-5th time at trying this - success!! Meantime I am in a total lather (in the garage) and then proceed (at this time of the year) to ride out into 30deg temps to "cool" off :mad:. At the risk of sounding like a total loser, can you give the exact sequence of button pushing? Also should I do this with the bike on the ground or stand or doesn't it matter? Thanks:)

18. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Although I'm sure that would work, you might hurt your back picking it up again.

/joke.

GeeCee likes this.
  19. Bazza Beemer

Gee Cee. I can't figure out why you are having problems. Page 73 of the manual tells you how it is done. Just to expand though - with bike stationary, engine running you are holding the button and get the display to flash. Let's say it is one helmet and you get the helmet symbol to flash then release the button and press momentarily and it will scroll through to the next setting with 1 helmet + baggage, then press momentarily again and go to the 2 helmets. If you keep doing this you will scroll through one setting at a time, rotating round and round. To get the setting you want simply let the system time out on the desired setting. Once it is confirmed the display will stop flashing. Took me a few tries to get it correct with help from other members.

GeeCee likes this.
  20. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Never adjusted it not sitting on it. :) Cool to feel it rise and settle.

GeeCee likes this.