No customization options are available.

First Service at 1200 kms

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by alain bruneau, Jul 13, 2017.

1. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I don't wheelie, but this does appear to exactly that and I'll mention it at the service in the next 1000km.

Will put it on the stand tonight and see if I feel any notchiness.

2. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Just wait until the 18,k service and fork oil change o_O

3. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

Great to hear of the concerns of the steering head bearings. This is the exact reason I joined this forum. Concerned like minds offering their knowledge, experiences, and opinions to others for them to digest.
    On another note, I've reached out to the BMW recall hotline (800 525-7417) for an update on the pannier reflector issue. I got a response that doesn't match what the dealer parts manager is telling me. And as the dealers are at their annual meeting in Colorado, I'm sure they will be more knowledgeable as to the schedule for retrofits for the various models impacted. As I may have mentioned I purchased my RS on 08/31 and the dealer wasn't allowed to give me the panniers that I paid for.

4. alain bruneau

alain bruneau Active Member

I just bought panniers in mid september for my 2017 RS. What is exactly the story with these ?

5. Stick Rockwell

Stick Rockwell Active Member

A search on NHTSA’s campaign number for this recall, 17V481000, will provide numerous reporting entities and articles. Essentially, the panniers, when added, cover up some side reflectors that are to the detriment of safety. As you'll see, several years of several models are affected.

6. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Miles? So 30,000km?

Considering the brake fluid change was so cheap down here I'm actually bargaining on the fork oil job being much the same. But it seems Africa is a true anomaly with all things BMW.

I remember my Buell also called for the fort oil change at similar mileage (and brake fluid for that matter) and nobody cared to do it down here.

Same with my Triumph, when asking about it simply got told it's not really necessary. Which I do somewhat agree with I guess, but it seems BMW does it right and by the book which I can appreciate.

7. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Not a question of kosher, but whether the warrantor through its eyes and ears on the ground - the dealer - has confidence that you did not screw up the bike if/when time comes in to fix a problem that may / may not be related to something done by the owner. And I can perfectly understand that.

If you have a problem and the dealer knows that you performed a certain related procedure, and has confidence that you knew what you are doing, they are likely to treat it as though they did it themselves and cover the work (if coverable under warranty, of course). If they suspect you are a klutz then they would likely balance the potential loss of business against denying any claim and may end up charging you for the work.

Working on your own bike is part of the satisfaction of ownership and one bonds more with the machine you trust your life to every time you ride, by working on it. The trick is knowing your mechanical limitations, and knowing when to defer to others trained to do the job right. ;)

8. Grumpy Goat

Glad it is not like that over here. I have no issue with sensible legislation but in this case this infringes on the freedom of the consumer to have his vehicle serviced at the place of their choosing.

9. Grumpy Goat

There you go! That is my attitude too. You have to have face time at the dealership,and if they know you many things often go your way. Some folks even bring in a box of doughnuts as a treat. Goes a long way down the road. :)

Richard230 likes this.
  10. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I think it's a case of if someone had the means to fund the endless court battle required to fight the man about this stuff it would probably make for a landmark case and they wouldn't touch it again.

However what does happen is guys just fight it directly and eventually they folk and do whatever is required and it quietly goes away and stays out of court.

We had huge issues for instance with the Audi 1.8T and other TFSI engines that just start gurgling oil and of course just just outside of warranty. Audi being fully aware would just charge customers a fortune to do almost full engine rebuilds with conrods and everything.

Enough people got wind of it being a bigger issue and now even though there still hasn't been a formal recall if you just put the smallest of fights up they do the whole job at their expense warranty or no warranty.

We currently have the whole disaster with Ford and their Ecoboost engines catching fire in various models.

At least from an aftermarket warranty perspective most of them will simply require you to go to an RMI-approved dealer (our local body of mechanic regulations etc) but still you ultimately can't do the work yourself and retain cover.