No customization options are available.

Finial drive noise

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by vat, Nov 26, 2017.

1. vat

vat Active Member

Today after i did a oil change Put the bike on the center stand to run and check for oil leaks. I also swapped out the rear brake pads which needed changing ( bike has around 30K on it).
    I put the bike in to fist gear to check the brakes and heard a clacking type sound coming from the rear end. Took it out of gear and shut the bike down, checked take I had gotten the rear pads in correctly. Started the bike again no noise, shut it down and tried it again noise was back. Putting my hand on the finial drive while hearing the noise I could feel some knocking in the housing.
    Anyone else come across this?

2. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

More inclined to think it's related to the pad change, but if not it must just be loose play in the drive system, maybe being accentuated by the engine pulse when the wheel is not under load.

Maybe neither too.:)

Ged

3. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

probably the clutch plates wobbling about with minimal load

4. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Isn't it more likely the traction control cutting in, putting the bike in gear on the centre stand with the engine running will confuse the bike. The traction control compares the rotational speed of the front and rear wheels. Try this again with the traction control switched off.

5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

The bike does not like to be run in gear on the centerstand without a load on.
    I did this once on the RS and it made some nasty noises.
    Noticed the same noises once on one of our K bikes when I did the same thing.

6. vat

vat Active Member

All good points I did even think about the traction control. I did pull and reset the new pads. I guess I'll find out in the AM on the commute in to work. Looks like it will be a 30 degree ride in, but it's only 48 miles. Thanks for all the all the useful input

7. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Willy and Lee are making lot of sense.:)

8. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

What Lee says is spot on. Running at low speed and with no load the final drive will 'chatter'.

9. boxter

boxter Well-Known Member

Thanks guy's :(

Ged

10. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

110%

11. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

On the other hand .... :)

I was speaking to one of my co-workers who has a 2009 (?) GS and only this morning he was noting the slack in the drivetrain on his bike. He said when he put his bike on the centre stand with it in gear and the engine off, there is a fair bit free play at the rear wheel. I kept meaning to try this experiment on my bike but I regularly forget ....

Peter Burridge likes this.
  12. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Yes he is quite correct..there is a considerable amount of backlash on the rear wheel when on the centre stand and in gear magnified of course by the diameter of the wheel..

Peter Burridge and Lee like this.
  13. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I don't think it's so much 'the other hand' Wayne as the same hand. It's said backlash being worked by a lumpy IC engine. Another reason to ride the bike as opposed to experimenting with it on the stand :D It'll do a fair chunk when going from drive to brake and back. It was quite noticeable underway on the VFR1200 evidently except damaged hearing and earplugs stopped me hearing it.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  14. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

The driveline backlash on my RS is nowhere near the level of my 1150R........which was within tolerance and never caused a problem.

Worth asking the dealer to take a look at your next service.

15. afdavey

afdavey New Member

So here is my take. My RS had 700 miles and doing first service oil change. Let’s assume brand new bike so nothing out of sorts with driveline.
    Up on center stand after adding new fluids to engine and drive, heard a clacking sound - WTF.

What I determined was the brake pads ‘clacking’ as they are seated loose in the caliper by design (all motorcycles seem to be this way, this is why you hear the pads engage so they run with essentially no contact / friction until applied). Applying the rear brake ever so slightly while up on the stand running eliminated the ‘clacking’ sound. Food for thought...

duccrazydave likes this.
  16. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Applying the rear brake will put a slight load on the drivetrain.

17. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

Inducing a little "drag" on the rear with the brake also loads the gear train going forward slightly, eliminating the free play in one direction. The noise when unloaded is just the free play in the system. With the engine off, transmission in gear (any gear) move the rear wheel back and forth. That is the free play you are dealing with. The crankshaft actually speeds up and slows down between firing cycles during running, especially noticeable at idle when the time between them is greatest. Compression slows the crank down, while ignition speeds it up. Unless you have much more than 10-15 degrees rotation of the rear wheel with the engine off and in gear, you don't have any problems.

Frank

18. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

See another thread if you were running the RS in gear on the centre stand. The noise may be traction control related.