No customization options are available.

Favorite Multifunction Display view?

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by KEVIN RICKS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. KEVIN RICKS

KEVIN RICKS New Member

ive read reviews of the RS that criticize the multifunction display as having too much information. The inner-nerd in me disagrees: I love it. Initially I would agree there was too much information to scroll through. Well, after spending some time going through the setup I've narrowed it down to a few things I'd like to see (who really needs to know that the alternator is putting out 14.4V anyway? If it fails, the idiot light will tell me for example)
    That being said, Whats your favorite view? Full, Sport or Touring (Style 0,1 or 2)
    Me I think I prefer the large digital speedo on Touring with a simplified view yet I can scroll through anything else I want to see top or bottom. If you hate the display, spend some time in setup and see what you think.

Barbelson and 10puzzler like this.
  2. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Style 1 for me.

KEVIN RICKS and 10puzzler like this.
  3. 10puzzler

10puzzler Member

Hello,Style 0 for me most information without scrolling but you got me think about the others again.I kinda like mode 1 or maybe mode 2. Hera we go i see a ride coming on.;)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    To and Fro likes this.
  4. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Style 2 - much easier to gauge speed

KEVIN RICKS likes this.
  5. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Style 1 for me.

6. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Style 0. I display trip time and trip klm.

Otherwise I use the Nav V.

Oh why can't we have a good tachometer?

KEVIN RICKS likes this.
  7. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I use style 0 most of the time, but use style 2 when riding on the freeway when I don't care what rpm my engine is turning. There is something about style 1 that irritates me. :confused:

What I would really like is the TFT display used on the 2018 KTM 390 Duke. I like that display even better than the TFT that BMW has been developing for the next year's R12GS. If KTM can put something like that on their least expensive model, why do we have to live with the goofy display on the RS? Especially, when they already had a perfectly good display on the current GS? But then I have the same question wondering why BMW only gave the R/RS models two ESA suspension settings, while the GS got 5. Surely it would have been just a few extra lines of computer code to give us at least 3 suspension damping settings? :confused:

To and Fro and Barbelson like this.
  8. Barbelson

Barbelson Active Member

My main gripe about the multifunctional display, and Sat Navs for that matter, is the size of the information. Like newspapers, magazines, etc., it important to have a minimum acceptable size in order to cater for readers with less than perfect vision. As we get older, our eyes generally deteriorate, and we need to resort to reading glasses, etc.
    When I am on my bike, the display is about 30inches (75cm) away. My eyes are fine, but I need a little help with normal reading, at normal reading distances. I have no problem seeing the larger bits of information on the display, but I find it very difficult to read the smaller info. I have had to resort to wearing bi-focals with the top half clear, and the lower half adjusted to be able to read the info.
    Of course it is impossible for the display to cater for everyone's needs, but I firmly believe that much of the information is much too small to read, especially when riding.
    I would love to see the display with less info boxes, but larger info.
    I see no problem scrolling through the info with the wonderwheel, but I would like the main display to be larger and clearer.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member Contributor

I like Style 3, Analog tach and digital speedometer.
    Hey, I can dream :)

10. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

I would say we do.... Single rider, 2 up, rider w luggage. Couple that with rain, road, and dynamic, that makes like 12 different combinations or more (not a statistician).

Also in point, the RS is a more narrowly focused bike than is the GS, I think with what the RS has you can set it up for your aggressions (i.e. 2 up setting; one rider, no luggage, for a stiff responsive canyon carver).

11. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

Style 0 for me. Trip 1 displayed and current fuel consumption or outside air temperature.

12. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

I'm an old fart so give me analog speedo & rev counter and I'm happy not that I need the rev counter..must admit though the speed display on Nav mounted on the Vortex bracket is for me ideal..:)

Aussie Import likes this.
  13. boxter

boxter Active Member

0 , for me mostly

Ged

14. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Active Member

It's one of those items that I "had to have" but have now realized that for me it's best left "off" while actually riding. Otherwise, all the information is just a distraction and a good way to die or, at minimum to scare yourself to death. Yes, I know the latter from personal experience and I won't make that error again! ;) If it's just on with a speed indication or some other single bit of info, it's fine. I do find the display of all the bike info to be great for maintenance etc while stopped somewhere or in the garage. So I DO like the unit but I don't use it to its capability . I don't have the mental ability to focus on avoiding the people trying to kill me (everyone in 4-wheel vehicles) and also monitor the info in the unit. To be honest, despite what I thought, the GPS nav capability on a bike (never had it before) is not all that useful while actually riding though if I had a headset/could receive voice directions, it would probably be pretty good. But I swear I've been more lost with that GPS unit than I have ever been with just a piece of paper with directions stuck in the top of my tankbag! :)

boxerboy and Mr. 36654 like this.
  15. Barbelson

Barbelson Active Member

Although slightly off subject, I thought I'd mention the NAV VI. As the RS comes with the cradle and wonderwheel pre-installed, I regard it as part of the display!
    I love using the Nav VI. I have headphones in my helmet. Obviously I use it to navigate to places, and also when I want it to take me on a mystery tour! However I also use it when I don't need directions, since in particular I like to see the max legal speed limit. I've also got it set so that I get a warning when I go over the max speed limit.
    I don't use it for the phone, or music, etc., but as a speed warning I find it very useful.

16. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Favourite? Least worst more like. Whoever dreamt up the display and satnav configuration was an idiot.
    I like a digital speed and analogue tacho. I manage without the tacho as I prefer the digital speedo. I find the analogue speedo distracting and difficult to use with the cruise.
    I've binned the satnav cradle, fitted a Zumo 390 to the clutch lever housing and try not to hit the rev limiter when accelerating.

Bravo likes this.
  17. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I was thinking of the ESA damping settings. The two settings offered, "road" and "dynamic" are both too stiff for me. Cranking up the preload just makes things worse. There needs to be a comfort setting for freeway riding to absorb potholes and concrete expansion joints. My 2007 R12R had three setting that seemed to work fine. I don't understand why the RS couldn't have had the same options.

I also agree that the instrument display, especially the analog speedometer, needs larger font so that it can be read more quickly.

Bravo and Barbelson like this.
  18. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

There's something other than the gas gauge and miles to empty that I should look at?

Everyday, something's new........

oscarguitar, Bravo and Barbelson like this.
  19. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

Sure, a little softer would be nice, I am a heavier rider and it is ok to me. Perhaps lighter oil, or the suspension is serviceable enough to take different valving, maybe a programming change is possible.

20. Last

Last Active Member

Style 1 + Nav VI.

Talk about outdated.

Bravo likes this.