No customization options are available.

Extended Test Ride on a 2017 Rental

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by AZGeek, Nov 18, 2017.

1. AZGeek

AZGeek Member

[​IMG]
    I flew from Tucson to Las Vegas and rented a 2017 R1200RS from Euro Cycles. Actually, the rental was through Eagle Riders but they use Euro Cycles for their BMW rentals. The bike had about 16,800 miles on the clock when I picked it up. I rode with the BMW panniers and top case. I didn’t need that much storage space but wanted to see what the handling was like with the extra profile.

I rode from the shop out Lake Mead Blvd to Northshore Road (Hwy 167) in the Lake Mead National Recreation Area. A wonderfully scenic stretch of roadway that I highly recommend. I rode through Valley of Fire State Park, which had a fair number of tourists visiting on that afternoon, so the ride was slow at times. From there, Hwy 167 turns into Hwy 169, which takes you to Overton, NV. That’s where I stayed for the two nights of this trip.

The next morning was another trip through Valley of Fire, this time free of tourists and allowing for a brisker pace through the curves around the scenic red rock country. From there I headed back to Northshore Road and made my way to Hoover Dam. Then it was some lunch at Boulder Dam Brewery in Boulder City. After a nice leisurely lunch it was back onto Northshore Road and yet another visit to Valley of Fire. I met a guy on a GS that stopped by to see what bike I was riding. We talked bikes for about a half hour and then it was back through Valley of Fire and onto the hotel. I was planning on doing a night ride to check out the lights and wound up doing more than just a cursory ride. I had a friend from Canada text me to say he was in North Las Vegas at a business conference. So I donned my gear and headed out to North Las Vegas via I15. That was 57 miles each way of night-time riding. Wind buffeting from the big rigs wasn’t too bothersome and I was moving past them with ease. It got a bit nippy on the trip back but the heated grips helped. I did another ride on Northshore Road on my way back to Las Vegas to return the bike the following morning —- I had enough seat time on I15 the previous evening and was glad I chose the more scenic route back.

I dropped off the bike with 17,248 miles on the odometer, which had me at about 495 miles for the rental. All in all, a great test ride.

What I liked (in no particular order):
    Style. Not a bad looking bike. Doesn’t look goofy with the panniers and top box.
    Ride —- nice and comfy. Very similar “comfortable couch-like” ride compared to the RT.
    Torque/acceleration. Nice all around, although going through first never seemed as smooth or exhilarating as going through the other gears. The low end torque is fantastic.
    Seat —- I believe this rental unit had on the sport seat. Never had a moment where my butt became numb.
    Steering. Nice and light —- very flickable bike. There were a couple of times where the steering seemed a bit too responsive where I felt like a little bit of steering input resulted in a large amount of steer. Could have been the road conditions at the time.
    Keyless ride. I always thought of this as being somewhat of a gimmick but I’m convinced now that this is a wonderful feature. Opening the gas cap was a pleasant surprise.
    Heated grips. Thank god for the heated grips. The evening ride on my way back from dinner was a little nippy (41 F on the dash) and the heat on my hands helped. My legs got a bit cool (only had on riding jeans) but it was comforting to have some heat elsewhere to focus on. There was a moment where I thought I would have been screwed if the bike broke down on a remote section on the way back.
    Cruise control. Ahh, the joy of integrated cruise.
    Instrument cluster. I like the wealth of information. Having the tach display adjust to the engine/oil temp was a neat feature.
    Lights. The low beam pattern was nice and wide. The high beam cast pretty far.
    I liked the way the top case lock operated.

What I didn’t like as much:
    Getting to the
    side stand was always an effort, and was most challenging at night. I had to use my smartphone light to find where the small lever doohickey was at.

The clutch on this bike was adjusted for a really early release. Amazingly, I never stalled the bike; I figured I was going to have that happen at least a few times when I first let out the clutch.

The throttle was a little sensitive and it was difficult at times to keep a steady, low speed. At really slow speed the bike seemed to want to lurch. I found that I was feathering the clutch more often that I’m used to in order to keep the bike running smoothly at really low speeds (stop and go or crawling traffic on the freeway)

Windscreen
    Clunky shifter
    . I know it’s just something I’ll have to get used to.
    Reflection from the handlebars on the instrument display was a total pain. I like to snap a pic of the mileage when I fill up and then record that info later. The reflections off those shiny handlebars made that a challenge.
    The nav mount. While I didn’t have a nav installed I could easily tell that the factory mount was way too low.
    Horn button location. I keep my thumb on the horn button when riding in traffic and the thumbwheel really makes getting to the horn a challenge. Bad enough that I usually hit the turn signal when I don’t have my thumb at the ready. I can see where I’d be hitting the thumbwheel instead of the horn. Not a great design there.

The bars were a bit too far forward for me (I’m 5’8” with that growing, middle-age gut). I found that my crotch was up against the tank quite a bit. I can see where some bar backs would be a nice addition. That being said, I never did feel too hunched forward and never had any back/shoulder pain. When I rented an RT the pain between my shoulder blades really became bothersome after more than an hour of riding.

Here's a map of the routes taken, with many back and forth trips along the same scenic stretches. Blue marker is Euro Cycles, red(ish) marker is where I stayed in Overton.
    [​IMG]

Below, a short (3.5min) video of some of my rides through Lake Mead National Recreation Area and Valley of Fire State Park. I was running two GoPro's (forward and back, mounted to my helmet). Best view in HD.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Were you in Dynamic mode?
    Thanks for your report. Your video was crisp and clear.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    AZGeek likes this.
  3. AZGeek

AZGeek Member

Thanks, Lee. I was in Dynamic mode for the second day. First day was in Road mode. And the freeway crawl was on the second day, so perhaps that explains my experience with the throttle at low speed.

4. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

The first time my wife road her RS was the day we left for Texas and we got in road construction with us doing a slow 1st gear crawl. At the gas stop Debbie mentioned the throttle was a little too touchy when trying to go slow.
    Oops, I had forgot to tell her about the different engine modes when I gave her a quick run down on the bike the night before.
    She switched to Road mode and was fine the next time we had slow going.

AZGeek likes this.
  5. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Nice video. I see you have some drone videos also ... we have some similarities, as I am now getting into drone videography.

AZGeek likes this.
  6. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

Nice video. Only one other vehicle on the road with you, nice.

AZGeek likes this.
  7. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Nice 1. So are you getting the RS?

Dedward and AZGeek like this.
  8. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Your observations are right on...particularly regarding the handlebars. For long stints in the saddle, the bars are a little too forward for me also. Interesting that you brought up the back pain between the shoulder blades. I had this problem on my Guzzi until I rotated the bars a little to the rear. The fully upright position just doesn’t work for me, but the slight forward lean of my RS (after installing HeliBars) created a sweet-spot that is just right for extended rides.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    AZGeek likes this.
  9. AZGeek

AZGeek Member

That's my plan. Hoping to be able to trade in my F800GT. Looking at Lupin Blue for a new 2017, or the Frozen Bronze Metallic/Black Storm Metallic for a 2018. Will wait to see what "deals" are thrown out for end of the year sales events.

Leon.P. likes this.
  10. AZGeek

AZGeek Member

Thanks. I tend to plan my multi-day rides during the week so I don't have to deal with any weekend traffic --- especially when going to high tourist areas.

Leon.P. likes this.
  11. AZGeek

AZGeek Member

Thanks. Yes, I started the drone thing (a Phantom 4 Pro) earlier this year. I've done a couple of motorcycle/drone trips but the P4P is not as convenient as the Mavic (or your Spark). I'm hoping DJI upgrades the camera on the next iteration of the Mavic and then I'll get that. Easily fits in a tank bag so I wouldn't even have to dismount to get the drone in the air. That would be cool.

I post the more polished version of my drone videos here:
    https://www.airvuz.com/user/azgeek

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  12. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

If you decide on the 2017, BMW has 0% interest up to 60 months on 2016 and 2017 bikes. This ends December 31.
    You can also get $400 off if you join the BMW Car Club of America.
    These are on top of dealer discounts.

13. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

You have to have been a member of BMWCC for at least 12 months prior. They changed that last year.

14. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I saw someone mention that awhile back.
    I have not asked a dealer if it's true.

This is from the BMW website
    Effective: January 1 – December 31, 2017
    BMW Motorrad USA is pleased to announce a special motorcycle purchase program for eligible BMW Car Club of America Members. This program provides the following allowances based on the purchase of a new BMW motorcycle of their choice. Only new, unregistered BMW Motorcycles qualify. One year membership required for eligibility.

You would think they would word it different if you need to be a member 1 year, then sign up for a 2nd year before you are eligible for the promotion.

15. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

Tried to use it to buy Dawn's bike. Was 2 months short. I'll use it in a couple of years when I buy my new R1300GSA.

Grumpy Goat and Lee like this.
  16. Bill the Cat

Bill the Cat Active Member

Better than the F800GT? I really did enjoy the mileage I put on the F800ST so much that I bought the F800GT and enjoyed that as well. The RS is not as nimble as the F800s for city riding, but that is the only "flaw" in the bike (and it is most likely the rider).
    As for the video, very well done, beautiful ride.

AZGeek likes this.
  17. Bill the Cat

ps. don't be surprised at the trade in value of the F800GT. Mine was in fantastic shape, and the dealership really didn't want to take it in trade, and tried to convince me to put it on Craig's list. "You'll get more for it." Maybe true, but I relented and told them it was part of the deal, or there was no deal.

AZGeek likes this.
  18. AZGeek

AZGeek Member

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, I’ve already got the reality check on the trade. Not great at all, but I’m really not wanting to deal with the scam artists that troll Craigslist and eBay. I’ve taken most of the upgrades off the bike and will sell those separately. Not looking to get rich but those sales should put the trade value closer to what I would get thru a private sale. I am scheduled to do the transaction with the dealer next week. 2017 Lupin Blue premium with side cases, engine bars, and Nav VI.

Lee and Bill the Cat like this.
  19. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Awesome photo.

AZGeek likes this.
  20. Bill the Cat

Congrats! Pics when it comes in.

AZGeek likes this.