No customization options are available.

Exhaust and ECU upgrade

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by RSraider, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Jurian Killian

Jurian Killian New Member

Yes, do you have a video

2. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

No unfortunately but there is one on the forum somewhere I think...

3. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Doesn't anyone look at the air fuel ratio when making substantial changes to the in/out configuration and fueling mapping these days?

4. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Well I would hope whoever does the mapping would do that...

5. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Indeed but no A/F graphs on the dyno graph only some mystery A/F number (65?)

6. RSraider

RSraider New Member

The guys that did my ECU did all the fuel mapping. No complaints.

I also have had the air filter replaced with a performance one. Picked the bike up today. Yes it has made a difference together with the other work I have had done. More air out needed more air in.

Throttle response is crisper. Seems to pick a bit quicker. Thought that I had I bike in dynamic mode and it was in road mode. Also feels a bit smoother.

7. RSraider

RSraider New Member

The guys that did the ECU mapping went to Italy to learn and they confirm the map settings on each bike with them before they load it. They didn't tell me who they deal with but said that they had an F1 and motorGP bike that they do mapping for...so I would guess that they know what they are doing.

Overall between the weight loss program, mapping, air filter and new can she goes VERY well.

Negatives. To be honest I couldn't hear what the new end can would sound like before I did it and while I love the song the volume is a bit loud....but hey the price you pay.

8. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

Ok so although original filter may have some extra flow capacity the K&N offers more and the bike does utilise it.
    Are you happy with the new response in all rider modes? Is Dynamic too snatchy? Is Rain still smoothe and muted?
    Another dyno test would be interesting.

9. RSraider

RSraider New Member

Road and Dynamic modes are fine. No snatchiness.
    Haven't needed to try rain but no reason to believe that it's also not fine.
    Haven't had it back on the dyno but it does feel quicker and more easy breathing.

10. Jurian Killian

Jurian Killian New Member

Where can I buy a k&n filter? Any shops in JHB?? Dont like online would rather go to a place and check it out,

11. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

I have had k&n filters before on other bikes and cars and actually could not tell any difference in performance when switching from the paper filter so I've always been a bit doubtful about the claims K&N make. After a bit of research it looks like the truth is that K&N can flow more more air (when it's clean) but it also lets more dirt particles into the engine and becomes less able to flow air as it accumulates dirt whereas the paper filters maintain flow efficiency till near the end of a service interval. Here is a link to an impartial scientific test on the topic, the graphs are particularly interesting
    http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

lacemi and Phillo like this.
  12. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Absolutely...however there are none so deaf as those who do not wish to hear....

13. lacemi

lacemi Active Member

I do not agree with you, this project is about getting the most out of your bike, both in weight and performance, it does not talk about the noise of an exhaust pipe or XR.

And you can copy ideas, like the filter or the substitutes of certain elements.

14. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

No problem...you are like I am entitled to your opinion..but please read and digest the comments and claims made..for example the oem exhaust only weighs 4.3 kg as opposed to the 8 kg estimated by the OP...the quickshifter now works better..really ???

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    lacemi likes this.
  15. lacemi

lacemi Active Member

Really, It is ok Phillo.

16. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

Interesting. So I wonder? How much can you do in that ECU?
    I have a guy I need to get in there!!!!

If the timing and duration within the Quickshift can be altered, then yes, it can be made to work better, much like the Dynojet units.

17. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I have had some news from Staintune. They are currently making their product, on order, for the GS. They have indicated that they will make a unit for the RS later this year.

Since I have had Staintunes on my bikes since my 1981 Yamaha XV1000RH, I am going to get one for the RS as soon as it becomes available, and will report.

Staintunes have made BMW specific pipes for years and years, mainly because the early BMW pipes (and I think this is pre /5) were not stainless and did not last. Staintunes are made in Oz (which is important for me) and they do have decades of experience behind them. I have had 5 or 6 sets (including my Spyder) and never had an issue with any of them.

On my "S", without the "baffle" they were LOUD. With the baffle, they were loud.

18. andybima

andybima Member

Anyone in uk had the headers/can changed to Akrapovic/remus and ecu remap at hilltop on the RS?

19. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

Nope I have to stay legal so won't go full akra and within warranty for a bit so won't tinker with the ECU for a bit. And when I do I won't be using Hilltop.

20. andybima

andybima Member

Why not hilltop bunter?have you heard bad reports?I'm out of warrant next month so no issues there and how is a full system not legal

: Exhaust, ECU