No customization options are available.

Exhaust and ECU upgrade

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by RSraider, Apr 17, 2017.

1. RSraider

RSraider New Member

Exhaust and ECU upgrades.
    Like many RS owners you probably don't like the sound of the original exhaust. Sowing machine comes to my mind...not the best characteristic of the bike in my opinion.

BMW (South Africa) only have an akropovic slip on option that costs R15,000 (USD 1,200). Expensive.

In addition to improving the sound I also wanted to tweak the performance. Read about ECU mapping from a company/dealership in Fourways, South Africa called Fire It Up that do ECU tuning. http://www.fire-itup.co.za/tuning

I took the plunge and went big...exhaust and ECU mapping. Fire It Up had a couple of the usual suspects like akropovic that was the same price as BMW (R15,000). I also wanted a shorty and they had a few options, but they were unbranded cans that come out of the Leo Vince factory in Malaysia. Price 1/3rd of akropovic R5,000 (USD 375) including installation!. Quality looked fine and they hadn't had come backs. See pics of the unit I chose. The stock can probably weighs about 8kg I would guess maybe more. The one I chose...less then 2kg I'd say. Very light.

They have to decat the exhaust when they do the ECU mapping which also means shedding weight.

I wasn't to sure what it would sound like so I said yes when they asked if I wanted the exhaust value removed as well.

List of work done:
    1. New "Leo Vince" unbranded exhaust can
    2. Decat
    3. Remove exhaust value
    4. ECU mapping

I had also previously removed the centre stand and scaffolding for the side panniers.

The result. Probably taken off a total 15-20kg. The mapping (see dyno chart) +10 HP and +10 Nm on the wheel. Together with the weight lose programme upped the power to weight ratio about 20%.

I have attached a video which frankly doesn't do it justice. It's proper loud, snorts and barks. Maybe too loud. Certainly for some it will be. But hey loud pipes save lives.

Not only was there more power and sound but the motor breathes better, revs freer and is smoother. Maybe my imagination but I think that the quick shifter is quicker. The first to second gear shift with the quick shifter is also smoother. Also massive improvement in handling with the weight loss. Much more nimble and flickable. If you do nothing else just take the centre stand off if you don't believe me. Even that makes a difference.
    Link below to the YouTube clip
    IMG_2985.JPG IMG_2986.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

Why would you eliminate the cat, flapper valve, put on a freer flowing muffler and not add a freer flowing air filter? You are giving away a lot because you are only partially benefitting from the exhaust without the air filter upgrade. The exhaust can only flow out as much air as is taken in. The stock air filter is a paper element and is designed to match the much more restricted factory exhaust.

lacemi, folagana and ray2 like this.
  3. RSraider

RSraider New Member

Thanks Rocky....good advice...I should have thought about that and the dealer should have advised that I do it...back we go for a new upgraded air filter. I'll report back once done. See if it made any difference, which it should.

4. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that's an "unbranded" Leo Vince can.

Doesn't look even remotely like their design for the RS, from memory, but I'm stuck in training now so would need to confirm later.

The rust around the end can bit is also worrying.

5. RSraider

RSraider New Member

I was told, and have no reason to believe otherwise, that the can comes out of the same factory in Malaysia that makes Leo Vince - hence for simplicity I called it unbranded. Agree that I don't see that can on the Leo Vince catalogue but it works just fine.
    The can is brand new. There is no rust it's just the colour of the welding.
    Thanks for the feedback.

SauRoN likes this.
  6. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

All in all I'd say this has been a successful project. Significant power/torque gains, weight reductions, handling benefits and considerably reduced cost. It would be interesting to see what an air filter upgrade can add to this. You mentioned a dyno chart but I don't see it? I'm wondering if the gains are across the rev range.

7. RSraider

RSraider New Member

Yes improvement across the Rev range. Attached is the result of the dyno test. Maybe I'll get a bit more of a bump up after the K&N air filter is installed, which should be in the next week or so. Overall I'm pleased with my bang for buck.
    The biggest increase in torque was in the 2500-4000 range where we spend most of our time. HP got biggest increase above 6000.

Attached Files:

folagana, cub and Richard230 like this.
  8. RSraider

RSraider New Member

Above is the link to the YouTube video of the dyno test. Note it's NOT an actual Leo Vince exhaust but comes out the same factory in Malaysia...just too much to explain in a YouTube heading.

lacemi likes this.
  9. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

Not trying to be critical, maybe the chart is simplified or I'm missing something but it seems unusual/unlikely that the torque gain is exactly 10nm and the hp exactly 10? normally the figures are more random

10. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

11. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

I know what you're saying. My Touareg comes off of the same production line in the same factory as a Porsche Cayenne. Both are outstanding vehicles and if I squint a bit...ahh...er, well no it's still a f0×# ing Volkswagen. But a bloody nice one.

Scorch likes this.
  12. RSraider

RSraider New Member

I would guess that the increase in HP and Nm are calculated off the peak numbers. The chart shows that the more random nature of the increase at each rev.

shorn sheep likes this.
  13. RSraider

RSraider New Member

Yip Pete T. I'm not pretending it's a branded can it's not and that's kinda the point. The quality looks fine, works fine, comes out of the same factory that produces a branded pipe so I would guess that the quality is at the minimum acceptable and it was 1/3rd the price of the bmw approved akropovic can.

Interesting part of the story is the guys that did the work are an independent shop that do any brand of motorbike. I originally asked for an akropovic can but wanted the look of a shorty which akropovic don't make for the bmw as far as I have seen. The guy that did the mapping said that after market cans irrespective of brand make very little to no difference to the power increase - they all give about the same gains. What makes the real difference is what happens before the can so choose what you want you will get the same result performance wise irrespective of what can you choose.

Also. I live in Johannesburg which means that car and bike normally aspirated engines lose about 15% power loss due to the altitude vs coast. The mapping process helps to customise the settings to compensate for the altitude.

At the end of the day it sounds like it wants to bite your head off, goes like stink and makes me feel like a 10 year old...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Scorch and lj516 like this.
  14. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

No offense intended at all these things are a personal choice but I don't like the looks or the sound, I don't believe very loud pipes save lives and I'm quite happy with the not too noisy Remus Blackhawk. If I had wanted something faster and with more power I would have gone with something like the XR or kept my 1300S...just saying

15. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

I'm interested to hear if a different air filter makes any difference. I read somewhere that the paper filter fitted has masses of spare capacity (at least the 10% you need) provided it is changed regularly with the added benefit of keeping crap out of the engine in a warranty friendly manner.

lacemi, Aussie Import and Phillo like this.
  16. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Agreed ....Ive read several articles relating to spare capacity and the benefits of retaining the original filter..and the possible warranty issues...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  17. RSraider

RSraider New Member

I'm just out of warranty so I don't have any warranty issues. I keep all the original parts I have taken off. I'll let you know if the air filter makes any difference.

18. Jurian Killian

Jurian Killian New Member

Phillo, do you have any videos of the can??? Would love to hear the difference. Looking to change my can, HATE that chrome

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  19. Charles

Charles Active Member

I put a K&N air filter in my bike. It sounds better with the factory exhaust. I just wish my exhaust was not a huge chrome thing.

Jurian Killian and shorn sheep like this.
  20. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Do you mean the Remus Blackhawk ?.

: Exhaust, ECU