No customization options are available.

ESA - changing modes has something changed?

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Ilan Balaban, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Ilan Balaban

Ilan Balaban Member

Hi,

I just had the 30,000 Km service for my bike which suppose to be a small service ( oil and filter only). The dealer (the BMW official shop in Israel) said that in this service on top of that the fork's oil must be changed - it is standard to all S1000 / R9T and R1200R/RS models which use upside down forks.

After the service when I got the bike back I noticed a small change in how the ESA changes modes. Before the service, once you move from road to dynamic (or vice-versa) the word "Road/ Dynamic" would blink until the mode changed, usually few seconds. Now when I switch mode, the mode name change immediately, the setup word is highlighted for a few seconds and then return to normal. And the whole process is much quicker.

I wonder, is that one of those silent updates (change in how the change is seen, the speed of change).

Ilan

2. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Ever since my RS was new in 2015, the ESA damping screen always changed immediately without any blinking. However, it will blink when changing the preload until it is finished with its job.

3. Bart

Bart Member

I'm having the same issue however, it only occurs when I have the ESA pre-load setting on Solo. In that case, when I change ESA from road to dynamic or back, the indicator blinks for a while. Whenever I have the pre-load set on Solo with luggage and I change the ESA from road to dynamic or back, it changes immediately. I like to see that as a small BMW twist. It might be that BMW has an updated "firmware" where they solved this. Mine will be going for the 30k service in october. I will check then if it's changed.

duccrazydave likes this.
  4. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Try changing mode on the go. Does the blinking come back? The computer is waiting for a ‘neutral’ state (no throttle, no brakes) before changing. If you are stopped, no wait for neutral state.

5. Ilan Balaban

Ilan Balaban Member

Interesting, I switched the preload set to Solo+luggage (as I'm 120 kg and feel it give me firmer shocks and better control). I will switch back and see if indeed it blinks when in Solo setting.

6. Ilan Balaban

Ilan Balaban Member

I usually change it on the go. Switch to Dynamic before entering the twisties

7. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Everything permanently on Dynamic :)

8. Richard230

That is only true when you change engine mode maps, not when changing ESA damping settings.

Dave and Bart like this.
  9. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

You are right, I am talking bollocks. But my better half has been telling me that for 36 years, so it’s no surprise. :(

Leon.P., duccrazydave and Bravo like this.
  10. duccrazydave

duccrazydave Active Member

Same with my RS. Delayed response in solo mode. Immediate in the other two

Bart likes this.
  11. Richard230

I hate to admit it but I was wrong when I said my ESA damping display didn't flash when it was doing its thing. :oops: I just spent time today watching the display, instead of watching where I was going and it does flash when cycling between Dynamic and Road settings. Sorry for any disturbance in the Force that I might have caused by providing incorrect information. o_O

Bart, duccrazydave and Bravo like this.
  12. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Somewhere in the rtfm sections it is advised to cycle through solo + panniers and two up on the esa setting every 3 or 4 tank refuels to refresh and avoid issues.
    I guess they want us to make sure those little motors do no seize due to lack of use.

Phillo and dcysurfer like this.
  13. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Useful tip Dave - thanks

14. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Yeah never thought about it from that perspective, and me sitting with everything left in one setting...will in future make a point of cycling through the sequence once in a while :)

15. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

Try doing the cycle while the bike is on the centre stand,You'll see the shock lengthen and shorten.... Kept me amused for about 3 hours.

duccrazydave and Richard230 like this.
  16. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

And I thought I was at risk mentally...

duccrazydave likes this.
  17. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank Contributor

Simple things etc.