No customization options are available.

Dynamic suspension faultleared the faults stored on the system

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Kevin732, May 25, 2016.

1. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

The ESA is the electronic damping. When the ignition is switched off the damping is set to fully damped by a spring action. When you turn the ignition on the ESA damping sets itself against the spring to either ROAD or Dynamic as set, hence the failure mode for the ESA damping being to 'lock' the suspension and make the bike almost unrideable.

So the ESA is getting exercised every time you start and stop the bike.

The electric pre-load adjustment is worth doing I think to keep it moving free, a good point. With the engine running of course,

Jim Evans likes this.
  2. Peter Burridge

I've been having a play with my bike and I realise something. My ESA damping fault indication only ever comes up when I switch on my ignition. It has never come on during a ride. Given that the damping mechanism releases to full damping under spring tension when power is removed and resets to the appropriate setting when the ignition is turned on, it would seem that the fault is likely coming up during this ignition on ESA set up.

Something that may be linked; it should be possible to change from ROAD to DYNAMIC damping and back with just the ignition on i.e. engine not running (page 72 in the Riders Manual) and I have done the in the past. It won't now do this. The engine has to be running in order to achieve this action and that isn't right.

I strongly suspect that the damping mechanism in the shock is drawing too much electrical load hence needing to run the engine to change ESA modes. This would also link in to the occasional fault when the ESA boots up. I don't think it's a battery issue as the fault comes up just after a long ride when the battery should be strong.

Can someone just check for me that their ESA damping modes change with just the ignition on and engine not running.

Peter

3. Peter Burridge

There seem to be two threads running on the same subject. Just to add that my bike has been in twice and has now had a full system restore on all the firmware.

4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

With the engine on and not running, I can change the mode from ROAD to DYNAMIC but the text stays flashing. Does this mean that it is setand will be remembered once I ride off? The manual is sh*tty when it comes to describing this, and the bike is in the garage with rain outside or else I could test it myself.

FWIW, this one setting on the bike is the most baffling to me since I only ever put it in DYNAMIC mode maybe once or twice so I cannot remember the function reliably.

Jim Evans and Peter Burridge like this.
  5. Peter Burridge

From memory Wayne it should change with the ignition on and engine not running. The manual infers this. If it remains flashing it isn't changing. When it stops flashing it has adopted the new mode. I'm certain that mine used to, if a little slower with just the battery power than with the engine running.

6. Grumpy Goat

I left it to timeout for about 30 seconds and then I gave up. Should be easier to change than this.

Jim Evans likes this.
  7. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I now appreciate, after reading these posts, that a good 30 seconds to a minute after switching the RS off, there is a solid mechanical sound coming from the battery area. I now understand the sound is probably the damping closing on its ESA spring. The sound comes from the right area. I have heard no sound from the left fork leg.
    The front system may be quieter, more enclosed, use less force or not work in this way.
    The ESA failure experienced may well be a reading of excessive current draw on startup. I don't know how actual damping performance can be simply monitored electronically, especially on start up when the RS is stationary. Therefore current draw - to much or too little - is likely to be the cause.
    Absent mechanical damage to the wiring loom the fault is most likely to be in the ESA rear unit (assuming the front does not work the same way).

8. Steve M

Steve M New Member

Hi, Just had my 2017 model in for the first Run in service, mentioned that I had the ESA warning light come up 3 times so far. Actually all with a pillion set in road and 2 with luggage. Each time the suspension became solid after the warning came on and each time it happened on speed ramps or rough ground. Turning ignition off then on reset it OK.

The dealer has seen the recorded faults cleared them and advised they will change the ECU if it happens twice more. It only happened with a pillion so will have too test at the weekend, a bit inconvenient but I hope it gets sorted before the bike holiday in May.. just wondering though if that was the same problem/solution for others in the end?

I did get the impression the dealer was familiar with this fault. ..

9. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

You have a different manual to me. Nothing about this in mine.

10. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

That's also in my manual but I occasionally carried out the setting changes anyway. Never realised it was there (rtfm!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  11. Grumpy Goat

It is on page 6 | 86 on the manual I have. Basically it involves fiddling with the damping and preload (cycling through the settings). I have never done this and seems to ride just fine.

12. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Nothing like that on pages 64 and 65 of my owner's manual that discusses how to use D-ESA. :confused:

13. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Page 92 from my manual. Like GG I've never done this cycling of the functions and everything is fine. The manual says to check settings, not function. Like GG I've almost never used the dynamic setting: it just seems to make the ride harsher. After all, dynamic ESA is supposed to relieve us of all that screwing around, isn't it?
    I might give it a cycle through the functions now, though. image.png

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Bravo likes this.
  14. Steve M

Steve M New Member

I've tried cycling through the different settings but it didn't stop it going into ESA fault mode 5 times today on a ride with a pillion. Looks like a trip back to the dealer is going to be needed for a new ECU....

15. Steve M

Steve M New Member

Just to update, due to the suspension ESA fault I had the bike collected, taken to the dealer and repaired under warranty last week. Which did show the value of the BMW warranty and support as all done efficiently over 3 days.

They reported that unusually the fault was in the ECU and changed the unit, they also mentioned that BMW wanted the old unit for analysis!
    The bike seems fine now and no faults thrown up even with a pillion on board and deliberately going over rough ground / speed ramps, so hopefully it's all resolved now.

My only concern though is that in my case the fault only happened with a pillion, so I guess for riders who don't ever ride with a pillion won't show, if there is a fault. Maybe not a problem unless sold on later to someone who uses the bike with a greater load. ..

16. Ian1405

Ian1405 New Member

Hi all,
    My first post here, I have a 2017 RS and loving it so far, until I had the very same symptoms you mention Steve. Riding solo, all fine, change settings before pillon gets aboard, ride off, 5 mins later, ESA fault light, suspension goes rock-hard. Stop, dismount, cycle ignition, fault cleared.... ride off with pillion, 5 mins later ESA faults again, suspension rock hard. Later same day after 5 more fault conditions, pillion decides to go elsewhere, so I'm solo again, no faults for 150k back home!!
    So assumed it was the load factor.... until today, 5 mins into a solo ride, ESA faults as above.
    First service happening shortly, so will press the dealer on this - esp. wrt ECU as a known issue.
    Other than this - its a fine machine after trading-in my 2013 R1200GS - first of the LC models, but for a short-arse like me, just a wee bit too tall (even with low seat). First Bemmer was an R1200ST - perfect set-up for me, so when the RS re-appeared, it just had to the next bike.
    Hopefully this issue will be sorted with the same outcome as Steves!

17. Steve M

Steve M New Member

Hi Ian,
    Just to reassure you my bike has covered 10k with the new ECU fitted and the problem has not happened again over these miles. BMW did indicate it's a rare fault but not unknown and a new ECU is an instant cure.
    Sounds like you have had the fault 5 or more times.? I say that as BMW need to see the fault has occurred at least that many times to change the ECU, any less and they just reset and clear the faults. That did cause me an issue as the bike initially was just reset and given back only to play up later and then have to be recovered and taken back again.

On a related note we were in France last week staying on route Napoleon,setting off one morning with pillion we were Straight into the hair pins and I noticed a horrible grounding sound mainly in right corners! After stopping to check I could see it was the centre stand hitting the deck but remembered seeing advice here that sometimes the bike needs to be cycled through the different suspension settings.

The bike had been in the max load setting for over a week but on checking had not gone into max pre load, "on that morning". The settingwas correct but the height or pre load had not risen/ activated. After cycling through the settings the bike went into max pre load and full height. The problem didn't happen again but then I was a bit paranoid and tended to cycle the suspension settings most mornings to check all OK. Not sure if it should make a difference but we were fully loaded two up full luggage, that's a serious ammount of luggage in the wife's case. ...scuse pun. Steve

Scorch, Bravo, ray2 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Peter Burridge

Just to add that way back now, my bike deteriorated and the fault did arise during a ride. A new control unit failed to cure it and a whole new rear strut solved the problem. All good since.

Peter

19. Ian1405

Ian1405 New Member

Thanks for the update Steve - gives me some hope that all will be good! Will update again following service in a few weeks.

20. Ian1405

Ian1405 New Member

Thanks Peter! Another discussion point with the dealer when I get it to them for 1st service in the next few weeks. Will update afterwards.