No customization options are available.

Dynamic suspension faultleared the faults stored on the system

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Kevin732, May 25, 2016.

1. Kevin732

Kevin732 New Member

Hello folks, first time I have posted a message, I am the proud owner of a 1200rs se but have experienced a suspension fault. In the first-few months everything was fine until I began experimenting with the suspension settings . Problem is that if I use the firmest setting , two helmets, with dynamic damping setting , the ride and handling becomes very sharp and ideal for sporty riding but has now on 8 times, thrown up an ESA malfunction warning followed by the suspension becoming solid and completely unyielding , this only resets after the bike has been switched off and on again. I have reported this to the dealer at the first service who cleared the error code and reset the parameters, but this has now happened again 5 times in one ride and is becoming unsafe. I am due to take the bike into BMW to look into this any thoughts guys ?

2. roger coleman

roger coleman Well-Known Member

are you changing it while moving? it doesnt like it.

ray2 likes this.
  3. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Have you tried same DESA setting with preload on say helmet +bag? What could be happening is solo riding with suspension set for two the shock is working at one end of the range only and hits the end of travel on rebound before the shock can stop the motion. Problem could be worse if you are a light person. Interesting though there is no mention of two up settings riding solo in the operator manual.

4. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I posted this issue a couple of days back. Mine has thrown this fault 3 times now. And mine is set differently, to Road and one helmet. I suspect that the particular settings don't make a difference. I'm due to take mine in on Tuesday and I suspect they'll reset it on the computer but the fault will then return. Just my suspicions.

I've not ridden mine any distance with the fault showing but it does say in the riders manual that it causes the suspension to go solid. My fault has always arisen on startup never while riding.

5. Kevin732

Kevin732 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions one of the reasons I tried these settings is I am heavier than average and find that they improve stability and turn in, additionally I don't try adjusting the settings whilst moving, I have read the owners handbook and re read it to try and establish the issue. The problem also has occurred whilst riding two up. Although the icons on the display show one helmet / one helmet and luggage or two helmets It seems it could easily have be labelled soft medium and hard. Most of the press reviews also seem to suggest using these settings for sporty riding. Guess I'll see what BMW come up with, still seems to be a fault.

6. Peter Burridge

Kevin, does your fault come up while riding or when you start up? Mine came on again today, again on startup and toggling the ignition sorted it. The stiffness as I understand it isn't a preload issue. Your "followed by the suspension becoming solid and completely unyielding" wouldn't be a function of pre-load as the spring will still work even at it's highest preloaded setting. The issue is I believe the damping side of the ESA failing and effectively locking the suspension. The damping ports in the adjustable ESA damping are failing shut hydraulically locking the suspension.

Edited to add, I just checked the rider's manual and yes it is damping warning and not preload. You adjusting the preload (helmets etc) may just have been a coincidence.

I have adjusted mine for two up riding and it hasn't brought up the fault.

Peter

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Jim Evans likes this.
  7. Kevin732

Kevin732 New Member

Much appreciated and makes sense , in my case the issue has not yet happened at start up but always on the move and after a few minutes of riding . When I come to think of it on uneven roads where the system is working hardest. I will post the results as and when (or if) BMW find the cause .

James Kennedy and Peter Burridge like this.
  8. Peter Burridge

Many thanks Kevin.

9. Bazza Beemer

Peter and Kevin - will be interesting to see what your issues are diagnosed as. How many miles/Kms do you each have. Reason I ask is if this is a factory issue vs one off (or in your cases two off) issues. Maybe we all have to be ready for this issue.

10. Peter Burridge

I'll update, I've 2.5 k miles on mine. I've been off a couple of months with illness but hopefully sorted now.

11. Brian63

Brian63 Active Member

Hello all
    Just short of 8k on mine it will be a year old next week so an early registered bike like Peters, so issues should have shown up i would have thought. I use mine solo and two up and change the settings while on the move with no issues so it could just down to a faulty component
    Brian

12. Kevin732

Kevin732 New Member

Good evening guys, mine has only done just over 1000 miles and the fault seems to have been there from the off , I will post an update as soon as the dealer can give me one, I really appreciate all the help and feed back with this, regards Kevin

13. Peter Burridge

I took my bike in this morning and the dealer found no faults stored on the system. It had come up on starting the bike about 6 times all reset by toggling the ignition. They did a reset and sent me on my way.

It then came up 3 more times, once starting after a lunch stop and twice at home i.e. it took 2 ignition toggles to successfully reset it. I've booked the bike in again for next Wednesday and they are giving me a loaner for a couple of days while they check mine out more fully.

14. Kevin732

Kevin732 New Member

Update; I referred the fault back to my local dealers and they forwarded the fault data to BMW who have ordered a new rear shock complete, unfortunately there are non in the UK and one has been ordered for my bike, in the mean time they have loaned me a brand new 800GS to keep me going. I shall report the outcome as soon as there is one. They did say in their opinion it was down to either the shock or the ECU and it was BMW that made the decision based on the data recorded. Best of luck, regards Kevin.

ray2, Richard230 and Peter Burridge like this.
  15. Kevin732

Kevin732 New Member

Bmw diagnosed the fault codes as a faulty rear shock, ordered and fitted this week , picked up my bike today and the fault happened again on my way home. Service dept department closed by then so we shall have to try again next week . Gutted !

16. Bazza Beemer

Kevin/Peter, is there a check engine light or something coming up on your instrument panels? If so wouldn't that fault code be able to be read by the dealer?

17. Peter Burridge

There are no fault codes in the history stored on my bike. I'm getting the feeling that this issue has happened with some GSs too. I'm going to trawl UKGSer and see what I can find. On my bike it seems to be a fault generated when the bike goes through its startup sequence. The warning triangle should go red, amber and then off. Mine sometimes goes red and stays amber with the shock and circle symbol illuminating in the bottom display.

18. Peter G

Peter G Member

How many of us are doing this? In section 6, page 92 of the (downloaded) owners manual it states to (re-)adjust the D-ESA every 3rd refuelling stop.

dcysurfer and ray2 like this.
  19. Kevin732

Kevin732 New Member

Yes, mine has storred faults that the dealer read and referred to BMW, it was the factory that told them to fit a new shock, unfortunately that hasn't fixed it, maybe it's the ECU

20. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Readjust it how? And I wonder why? The ESA on my 2007 R12R never needed to be "readjusted". it worked just fine for 36K miles.

Jim Evans likes this.