No customization options are available.

Dynamic ESA Forks - points of interest

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Spratz, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Spratz

Spratz Member

Has anyone noticed that the Dynamic ESA front forks lock up, and will not compress or rebound, if the ignition is off? I noticed this when I was trying to pump the forks, following the instructions in the manual for re-attaching the front wheel. Those instructions ensure minimal stiction of the fork sliders.
    Another discovery is that you can make it easier to put the bike on the center stand. Kill the engine but leave the ignition on and put the bike on the side-stand and get off. Pull up on the right-side handlebar to fully extend the forks, then turn off the ignition, locking the forks in the extended position. It is then easier to put the bike on the center stand, because the weight is already higher off the ground, so you don't have to lift it as far. A possible downside of this is if you use a front wheel stand, like the PitBull, while the bike is on the center stand, the rear wheel will touch the ground sooner as you lift the front.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

For some reason the service manager mentioned this to me last year. Sometimes I can fell the front end drop when I start the bike.

3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

This would also help for parking on a side slope with the too long side stand.

4. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Good info Spratz.

....I wonder if this is why BMW compromised the side stand design?

5. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

Interesting. Thanks- I did not know that.

6. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

I’ve been suggesting this for ages for the side stand issue. Stop bike, extend side stand, yank up on the bars, switch off. Get off Voila!
    The dynamic valves ‘shut’ when the ignition is off. The same reason that if you get a DSA fault, the suspension goes rock hard.

Obviously this is a nice forum so I should have said ‘I think...’:)

Lee likes this.
  7. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

Thanks to you too!

oscarguitar likes this.
  8. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Heheheh ... the above was exactly my experience and I also had this sort of eureka moment some time ago after having my forks serviced. I had noticed some sticking/release after initially starting the bike and backing out of my parking spot ... the from suspension would wake up and sort of release as if locked in the down / compressed position. I then tried to pump the front fork when the bike was off and it was rock hard and apparently "locked". Slightly concerned I checked a bike on the showroom floor and was relieved to find that it too was "locked".

After that it became routine for me to stand up just before switching off the bike, so that the bike lifts up (no need for me to pull up on the handlebar) and is "locked" in the up position. Standing taller means to the lean angle on the sidestand is less vertical - always a good thing on the RS.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    mrj likes this.
  9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Sounds goods. I wonder if I'll remember that in the spring :)
    Remind me in Arkansas.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  10. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

Not just the forks, but the rear shock does this too. I've used the pull it up before shutting off the ignition procedure many times.

Frank

11. boxter

boxter Active Member

I can pull mine up at the rear after ignition off, have done every time I park on side stand I drag the back up and it moves.

Ged

12. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

does it need to be in dynamic mode or will road work?

13. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Any mode (I think...)

14. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Someone on here referred to the forks locking and I didn't know what they were talking about as mine doesn't lock that I am aware of.

But now that you mention the ignition having to be completely off I'll have to try it out.

15. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

In BMW German speak Dynamic = Sporty and not actually Dynamic Mode ON as one would expect.

Road mode is still fully dynamic the range of travel is just longer and/or softer.

16. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

The ESA damping setting relaxes to a full on setting under spring action when the ignition is switched off. You can hear the rear do it but I've never heard the forks.

17. Duckbubbles

Duckbubbles Active Member

I had one of my non-BMW riding buddies sit on my bike. Told him to bounce on it (ign. off) turned it on and said to do it again. The look of astonishment on his face was priceless.

Frank

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  18. Peter Burridge

I tried to line up my forks recently after changing my tyre. It took a while to fathom out why they didn't move :)

19. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Does it in Road mode, a that is where my bike is most of the time. I see no reason why it would not be occurring in Dynamic as well since it has to do with the physics of the hydraulics as opposed to reaction timing which, AFAIK, is what sets the modes apart.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  20. Peter Burridge

The mode when the ignition is off doesn't affect things as the ESA damping settings revert to max either way.