No customization options are available.

Difference -Dynamic v Road

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by GordonH, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

I’ve just set everything to Dynamic and that’s where it stays :)

2. mrj

mrj Member

IMHO the most noticeable thing in engine D mode is the sound: more pops!
    The throttle response isn't that different. The difference is much bigger between rain and road.
    And of course the DTC is supposed to be different, but you would normally never know on open roads as you're supposed to drive safe somehow ;-) Anyway, I configured User mode as D engine + Road DTC: you never know...
    The suspension modes, however, are quite different and you get a sharper bike in D, but a more comfortable one in Road. That's very noticeable!
    So for me it's (engine/suspension): Road/R on my daily commute and cool tours (or Rain/R if it's wet), and U/D on fast tours.
    I wish the whole stuff would be configurable so the suspension could be set to D when changing the engine to D.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  3. mzpog

mzpog Member

Rolled out of dealership with everything set at Dynamic and that's where it'll stay as it's a pussycat of a bike.

Phillo likes this.
  4. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Well-Known Member

My dealer had it set in Rain when I rode it from there a year ago. In 4 miles I pulled over, figured out *(eventually!) how to set it in Dynamic and it has been there ever since except for a few minutes fooling around with Road. As far as I can tell, the bike will only pull the front wheel in dynamic! I have never tried to mess with User. Just seems too fiddly to me. But, then again, all the other bikes I have owned came with only one "mode" and I am OK with that - no thinking involved! :)

Phillo and Grumpy Goat like this.
  5. SoCal RS

SoCal RS Active Member Contributor

User mode, throttle dynamic, TC road. Not a fan of rain mode even in the rain.

6. vat

vat Active Member

I use rain mode when as the Brits say "filtering" in heavy traffic in NYC. Much better throttle control for doing that kind of riding. Than back to road mode once the highway opens up.

7. TPadden

TPadden Member

I've used Rain mode on dirt and gravel roads, both wet and dry, it's nothing short of MAGIC.

Tom

Jim Evans likes this.
  8. SoCal RS

SoCal RS Active Member Contributor

Seems to me you would have less control, but each their own.

9. folagana

folagana Well-Known Member Contributor

I posted 3 or 4 times on this forum information about the differences between the RAIN/ROAD and DYNAMIC mode.

It is not only throttle grip response, many other parameters change but anyway the most important is the the throttle response.

10. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Yep - throttle response much sharper in dynamic - very noticeable when revving in neutral as no load etc.

11. folagana

I saw some ECU parameters from a GS, and I found some differences between the maps mainly: the start of injection time, pump pressure and other correction parameters.

12. folagana

Just to complete the info, I found the pictures I took from the ECU:

The first graph shows, img_1, the MAP 3 (red) vs MAP 1 (blu).
    The Red has a higher value of injection start at low rpm, more or less at all loads. The Red is smoother at low rpm.

The second shows, img_2, is the MAP 3 (red) vs MAP 2 (blu)
    The blu has more aggressive time at higher rpm (higher value)

The third shows, img_3, is the MAP 1 (blu) vs MAP 2 (red)
    Still MAP 2 is much more aggressive (higher value).

So, the MAP 2 probably is the dynamic and the 3 is the rain or the enduro….. not sure..

What is interesting is that the ECU has only two maps for the load (which means torque and so on) the difference is about 15%. It means you open the twist grip at 50%, the butterfly valve is opened at 35% with that map. Probably it is the RAIN vs others. It means that the dynamic and the road (or the ENDURO) are different only for the injection start!

IMG_1.JPG IMG_2.JPG IMG_3.JPG

13. m1bjr

m1bjr Member

Dynamic is over damped for our rough UK roads, but the only way to keep the front from severe dive when riding hard.
    As time goes by I actually think manual control is preferable to those who understand suspension.

Gregory Clark and Richard230 like this.
  14. Bunter

Bunter Active Member

I use all three modes according to road conditions as the mode also changes when ABS/TC activate. I also find rain mode suits filtering through long traffic queues and town riding well.

ray2, darrell and folagana like this.
  15. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

Agree and the reason I've stripped the last 3 BMW bikes of the ESA for Wilbers or Ohlins replacements. If you ride solo, like I do the preload adjustment advantage with ESA does not matter.
    The newer DESA, I have to admit, is better but still falls short of properly set up manual dampers.

I was leaning toward replacing the DESA with a Tractive set up to retain the dynamic features, but I am beginning to think a front and rear and Ohlins set up may be the better and less expensive option.

16. mrj

mrj Member

Why did you get the DESA in the first place if you want to replace it?
    Isn't it an option in the US?

17. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

Bought the bike off the floor at the end of 2016. It was fully loaded and I negotiated $3,000 off msrp.