No customization options are available.

Difference -Dynamic v Road

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by GordonH, Nov 26, 2017.

1. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

I tried a little experiment yesterday whils cleaning the bike at home.

Had bike on stand and warmed up - did a quick comparison in each of the three mapping modes to check the difference in how the revs rise and fall when you blip it in neutral......what an eye opener!

In rain mode, the response is very "woolly", the revs take a while to rise and the exhaust is quite and doesn't pop. In Road, the response is typical BMW boxer - similar to to air/oil 1200's and 1150's but with a little pop now and again. In dynamic, revs rise really quickly (almost like an IL4), very responsive, exhaust is much louder and the pitch higher/more urgent with lots of popping.

I wasn't expecting such a difference.

Try it and see what you think.

2. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

Dynamic mode is even more exciting when not on the centerstand

Vach, Scorch, Leon.P. and 8 others like this.
  3. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

The modes are different twist grip/throttle body sensitivities and that's what you see. It's not very magical but it works. Rain is particularly altered, Road much less so. I guess Dynamic is 1:1.

Some modern bikes are always less than 1:1, the KTM 1290 Duke being such a Beast, literally.

Peter

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Leon.P. likes this.
  4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Every now and again I encounter heavy rain in which I switch is Rain mode ... that is the nature of my experiment since I ride all the time in Dynamic. :) Initially took 10 minutes to get the wrist adjusted to the throttle sensitivity with Dynamic but since that time anything else is too lazy ... even in the rain. I do find Rain mode useful for taming down the urge to twist the grip when the road conditions do not support it. Can't really figure out the need for Road mode.

Thanks Gordon for doing the little experiment and confirming the behaviour.

Leon.P., mrj and Brimstone Mahone like this.
  5. boxter

boxter Active Member

I find in town that road is much more smoother , on the open road dynamic feels best, on extremely wet roads rain is best in both engine and traction control, but you don't need to rev bike on stand to know what the engine does in different modes !! :)

Ged

Leon.P. likes this.
  6. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I can certainly tell the difference between the three engine modes, but the difference between the "road" and "dynamic" suspension modes sure are a lot less obvious. "Dynamic" is not bad, perhaps a little harsh when the bike is lightly loaded, but "Road" could sure use less compression damping and more rebound damping on my 2016 RS. Compared with how BMW offers more suspension adjustments on the RT and GS, they appear to have gone "cheap" when programming the suspension on the R/RS models. :( I wonder why? :confused:

Leon.P. and Vtbob like this.
  7. Peter Burridge

I just like my bike to have a consistent throttle response, rain or shine. That's why I only ever use dynamic. The engine is fairly mild and manageable in real world terms methinks. I do set User Mode to Dynamic with max TC for those ultra slippery days but it's more insurance really as the TC hasn't engage (reassuringly) yet.

Leon.P. likes this.
  8. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Hi Ged

The point I was making was just how much quicker it picked up revs in dynamic mode......way quicker (and louder) than the other two......almost like it lost 5kg off the crank.

boxter and Peter Burridge like this.
  9. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

They assume you are the average 120 kg American....
    Of course, the more aggressively I ride the RS, the less consistent my right wrist has become. No matter which mode I'm in, I'm getting into the (bad?) habit of pulling the trigger, knowing the electronics will back me up.

And then of course, one can deactivate engine and traction modulation all together (think uphill on gravel, or trying to relive some aspect of an ill-spent youth, or trying to re(s)train the right wrist).

Try that on the center stand...?
    Agreed - though I have the impression MrVvrroomm's skills make better use of this than mine.

upload_2017-11-26_9-21-53.png upload_2017-11-26_9-22-6.png

Sunny, warm, and no bugs today. I'm out the door.
    (Wait, it's also sunny and warm in Iowa and Minnesota. Don't bears get up from their long winter nap for a bite of food when it's nice out?)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Leon.P. and Vtbob like this.
  10. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

I use "Road" most times. Throttle response is smoother and ABS and TC engage a little sooner. Out amongst the drivers around here, I need all the help I can get...

Leon.P. and boxter like this.
  11. Grumpy Goat

Hmmm ... maybe I will go for a ride and use Road mode to see what you guys are talking about. :)

Any reason for a ride eh? :D

12. Peter Burridge

If you reflect on the process of changing the relationship between twist grip and throttle body then, then reducing the sensitivity, it will both reduce the amount of throttle body opening AND it's rate. Add into this that the throttle body choke butterfly doesn't give a linear response by it's very nature....

Leon.P. and boxter like this.
  13. boxter

boxter Active Member

I knew what you meant Gordon, we lesser mortals just rev it in modes at traffic lights especially fazerace, cant hear my bike for his bike being limiter testing behind me, :)

Ged

Leon.P., duccrazydave and ray2 like this.
  14. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Just don't forget that the traction control is also lazy in dynamic mode when you're in the rain! I like road mode myself; I've used dynamic a few times but find it a bit too sudden. Rain is great when it's pissing down.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  15. Scott

Scott Active Member

I have found that Rain Mode, for a tankful, will add 40km to my range as compared to Dynamic.

16. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

I ride most of the time in Road mode as the dampening is not as harsh as Dynamic mode. Our frost damaged road are jus not that smooth! I've also notice that in Road mode, after riding 20 miles or so on the smooth interstate, upon hitting the bumpy secondary road the bike pogo's a bit for a couple of miles then firms up by it self. Adaptive suspension??!!

Maybe if you live in a smooth road area, ride in Road modes....the suspension becomes too soft...underdamped...so you need the dynamic to firm it up?

Certain I don't have that problem here!

boxter likes this.
  17. boxter

boxter Active Member

Suspension is self adaptive in road mode, I have noticed the changes in damping front and damping / tension on rear depending on road surface condition.

Ged

18. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I can't stand Rain mode for the fact that it alters the throttle so dramatically that I just end up riding badly for having to compensate for it.

So instead I use the "User" profile and put the Throttle on Dynamic with the Rain safety settings to sort that out.

ray2 likes this.
  19. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I only ever used RAIN mode in the first few months after buying my RS, and only when it was actually raining.
    Then, like others, I discovered that the throttle response left a lot to be desired (and in fact, I think RAIN mode contributing to my wife stalling and dropping the bike when it was only 4 days old). I then used either ROAD or DYNAMIC pretty much permanently.
    I have now set up a USER mode with engine mode in ROAD and traction control in RAIN, and use that when the roads are wet. The safety of RAIN mode, but without the rubbish throttle response. I expect I'll be using this mode until spring...

Martien and ray2 like this.
  20. Grumpy Goat

So the bike is presently in Road mode having been left there while on a ride yesterday to test that mode. Engine response seemed smoother and the throttle still had sufficient immediacy for normal riding. Maybe would be better when SWMBO is on the pack. I have decided to leave it in Road mode for a while so that when I do switch back to Dynamic I can discern the difference a bit more.