No customization options are available.

Denali SoundBomb Installation

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by GuppyPilot, Sep 25, 2016.

1. GuppyPilot

GuppyPilot New Member

I’ve had this Denali SoundBomb (source: pirateslair.net) for a few months, without having any good ideas on how to mount it on my R1200RS. Then, on my drive home the other night, some cager decided he just had to move into my lane. I leaned on the horn, and of course, with that tinny little joke of a horn, the cager just kept coming and I had to take evasive action. I got home and examined the bike again for inspiration.

It occurred to me to get at the original horn to see how much room I could find. Getting at the OEM horn requires removing the center nose piece. After all the screws are out, it still takes some patience and some plastic pry tools getting that puppy out. Once it was off, I knew I had my location. There’s a lot of room there!

IMG_2031.JPG
    I had first figured on fabricating some sort of mount, but the OEM mount, which is just about four (think) layers of steel, was easily bendable into the position I wanted.
    IMG_2033.JPG

What I didn’t like was the Denali’s mount, off to the side. I was intending on grinding off the horn’s mount, and finding some other way of securing the horn, but then it occurred to me to pull the compressor out of its cradle, and rotate it 90 degrees. The mount is now facing a usable direction. A 5/16” ID hose was used to connect the air pump to the horn air inlet. I put a clamp on the compressor side, but couldn’t figure out how to do that with the horn side, so I guess I’m just crossing my fingers it doesn’t slip out..

IMG_2032.JPG

I bought the electrical kit, thinking it would make quick work of wiring. Naturally, I went and cut and customized all the wires anyway; I should have just started from scratch. I put the fuse in the battery compartment for easy access, and screwed the relay onto the forward bulkhead. I routed the power line under the right side plastic to the relay. The wires to the OEM horn wires (for switching) are nice and short, as is the power from relay to horn. The only wire from the kit that I left untouched was the horn ground, which I put on the Y clamp for the brake lines.

The whole project probably took me about 8 hours, including a lot of head scratching, trial, and error.

Here's a youtube link to the before and after sound:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Peter Burridge and Grumpy Goat like this.
  2. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Nice job, but those riders with the DLR will need to check the space as the DLR is bulky.

3. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

If you want to clamp the hose then I suggest taking a strand of bare copper wire (like a stripped conductor taken out of some household wire) then wrap around and twist with pliers. Go gently as the twist area where the pliers go will break. Gently twist until you see the copper starting to bite into the clear plastic. Hope this helps.

GuppyPilot likes this.
  4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Good job. That is one of the upgrades that is in my future so thanks for your write up. I would probably glue the tubing to the horn side inlet nipple with something like JB Weld.

Is it just me or is the Pirate's Lair website terrible? Can't find a blasted thing and no search field. No place to look for just parts. I had to use a Google search of their site. I will buy from Twisted Throttle (again) or Revzilla when I get my SoundBomb. The previous one went with the previous bike.

5. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

In his home page there is a tab labeled "other bikes", click that, and the R1200RS will appear there along with some other bikes.

Kev likes this.
  6. Grumpy Goat

Not looking for bikes or bike specific accessories, but am looking for non-specific accessories like the SoundBomb or the helmet lock, etc. There is no Accessories button and no search button or field. I should not have to know what bike page these may be tied to before I can find them.

7. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

GuppyPilot likes this.
  8. Grumpy Goat

I second that opinion 1000%. I had the one piece on my Honda because I could mount it on the side. For this bike I will get the split horn and put the horn part in the cowl for best delivery of sound, and put the compressor elsewhere - maybe in the side fairings "on the way" to the battery.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  9. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

Just make sure the compressor inlet does not pick up water. The Denali Soundbomb is a Stebel Nautilus styled horn. The old stebel compressor had a habit of sucking up dirt/moisture and failing. It was a common modification to separate the horn from the compressor for ease of mounting and better elements protection for the compressor itself.

GuppyPilot likes this.
  10. Grumpy Goat

Always a good idea, but I never had an issue with the one-piece Denali SB on the old bike where it was mounted vertically and in the open just behind the right full fairing. Granted I never rode through a monsoon with that bike but it saw rain and the horn was totally unaffected. It is more important to ensure that the horn opening is mounted downward-facing so that any water does not pool inside the horn.

11. GuppyPilot

GuppyPilot New Member

Ahh, wish I'd seen that version first.

12. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I don't like your chances of finding a space in the side fairing large enough to take a compressor.
    The only area where I found any accessible space was in the front side fairings, where the area is effectively increased by the infill panels. Even then, it is slim pickings.
    Lack of space was the reason I used first the FIAMM mini-trumpets on the TRX 850 and the BMWs. I think they also have a weight advantage over the compressor.

13. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

"Tinny little joke horn" - Mine must be different because it scares the living crap out of me every time in a very German "ACHTUNG!!!" fashion.

But I have learnt over the years that you American folk have a deep love affair with "horns" as you call them and the need to change them.

14. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

Drivers in America are quite inattentive. I only use the horn to supplement the one finger salute. Purely after the fact.

It's also helpful when you're forced to ride in a blind spot of a distracted driver. The stock horn isn't loud enough to cut through a cell phone conversation nor loud music.

It's also a novelty at bike meets. I like to toot my own horn from time to time. :)

15. Grumpy Goat

Hehehe ... have you ever heard a Denali SoundBomb in actuality? :)

The stock meep-meep horn says "Hey excuse me but I am here and I'd prefer if you don't kill me ..." in a loud but apologetic tone.

Air horns like the SoundBomb jumps in your face and says "Hey idiot, look where the hell you are going you #@$&(% moron, and get the fr*g off the flippin' road!!" :D

Honestly. The thing is bordering on the obnoxious and makes you think twice about blowing it. It is also funny to see the other driver quickly swerve out of the way on hearing the blast, thinking that it must be some large truck theatening their life. :)

Hehehe ... I never forgot the first time I installed it and then invited my wife to hear it in my garage. She was about 8' away and even though I warned her she jumped out of her skin, almost cussed me and then abruptly went inside.

What's not to like about those results ? ... :D :D

16. Romany

Romany Member

I had one of these on my old bike. I was out riding when this woman pulls out from an apartment complex and cuts me off. She was eating a bowl of cereal while driving. At least she was until I pulled up beside her and hit the horn - milk and Cherio's all over her and the interior.

PeterG likes this.
  17. Grumpy Goat

That alone is worth the price and effort to install this horn!:D