No customization options are available.

Darrell's June 12 Day Ride to Western Dakota's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by darrell, Aug 3, 2017.

1. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

In June I took a 12 days ride to the western parts of North and South Dakota to do some sightseeing, keep the wheels on the RS turning, spend some time riding alone and meeting up with some good friends I ride with on Wednesday's when not traveling. They ride mostly American built bikes but are good safety conscious riders who know how to enjoy life.

I rode across northern South Dakota in to southwestern North Dakota before turning south to the Black Hills area of South Dakota for 5 days of riding alone and with my friends and then headed for home. As always the RS did what it was asked to do.

Pictures to follow.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Grumpy Goat, ray2, Mark and 2 others like this.
  2. darrell

Stopped at the Int'l Vinegar Museum but was closed so going back, visited the grave site of Chief Sitting Bull and Sakakawea Monument

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Richard230, Grumpy Goat and ray2 like this.
  3. darrell

Stopped in Lemmon, SD to see what is claimed to be the largest collection of Petrified Wood. Covers a full city square block. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. darrell

Rode the 32 mile stretch of the Enchanted Highway in Western North Dakota to revisit the 7 metal sculptures along the road. Spent nearly a half day here. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Lee, Richard230, Grumpy Goat and 2 others like this.
  5. darrell

Spent a full morning riding in the southern part of President Theodore Roosevelt National Park. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

folagana, Lee, Richard230 and 3 others like this.
  6. darrell

Attended the Medora Pitchfork Fondue. A fun time with about 350 others attending that evening. Features 12 oz New York Strip Steak and a full picnic type buffet outdoors before the Medora nightly Musical starts. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

7. darrell

Attended the 2 hour evening performance of the Medora Musical with live horses, great entertainers and a theme we can all be heroes to someone even if we do not know it. But we must get up and do something vs sitting around complaining about what everyone else is doing. No pictures taken during the performance as was being too entertained to pull out the camera. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

8. darrell

Rode for 2 days in the Black Hills before meeting up with 10 friends riding out from Minnesota. Had a chance to once again ride one of my favorite roads in the Black Hills. Visited the Crazy Horse Memorial to see the progress since started in 1948. Estimated 100 years or more to complete. The arm will be bigger than Mount Rushmore in total and imagine the size of the horse head when finished. All with private funds. Watched a bus scrap both sides as it went through the eye of the needle. Clearly a new driver. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

folagana, Lee, Richard230 and 3 others like this.
  9. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

It sure is pretty up there. Did the weather cooperate?

10. darrell

And finally met up with 10 good friends for 3 days of riding about 750 miles in the Hills and surrounding area before I took a solo 600 mile day ride home on day 12. Lots of great roads covered in the Black Hills and our ride out to Devils Tower in Wyoming. Always a good ride through the wildlife part of the Hills. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Grumpy Goat, Lee, ray2 and 2 others like this.
  11. darrell

Yes another trip for me with no rain while riding. I did have a thunderstorm chase me out of North Dakota at 0600 one morning and had a late afternoon heavy rainstorm in the Black Hills the day I arrived but was already checked in to the motel when that hit. Yes we are very blessed with a beautiful part of the US here in the north central section; other than maybe the 5 months we have to deal with some winter weather. But taking some time off the bike and catching up on other things needs to happen so not all that bad. Also a good time to plan for the upcoming 7 months. In fact this morning I was able to share with Lee my notes accumulated last winter on a planned trip to Kentucky.

12. James Bagley

From the Great Lakes to the Pacific NW is all beautiful. I'm hoping to clear the decks for a trip to Idaho this fall; the bike is ready, but my schedule is filled to the brim. This is not how I imagined retirement...

darrell likes this.
  13. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Nice 1 Darrell.:)

darrell likes this.
  14. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

...nice steaks!

darrell likes this.
  15. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

...not sure about the Buffalo wandering over the road though...........sheep are bad enough, never mind a ton of bad tempered buffalo!

Richard230, darrell and Leon.P. like this.
  16. darrell

Cooked for exactly 3 minutes in 250 degree vegetable oil. Medium to medium rare.

17. darrell

Notice the American built bikes as all in front of mine. For good reason. Along this road you see buffalo, donkeys still breeding there from the 1800's mining days when they were let go, deer, antelope, bald eagles, coyotes, etc. Each fall there is a buffalo roundup where the estimated 1450 animals are reduced to 950 with those older than 10 years being sold for meat as well as some of the over supply of younger male stock, the young female stock and some males are sold to private parties to raise out for meat or shipped to other American Indian Tribes who are starting herds of their own. All the buffalo are vaccinated during the roundup.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  18. neil wheelhouse

neil wheelhouse Member

great trip & nicely told never tried buffalo meat, not many around yorkshire

darrell likes this.
  19. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Beautiful pictures Darrell. My kind of trip.

darrell likes this.
  20. James Bagley

Buffalo is delicious, and a healthier choice than grain-fed beef. It is loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids (the same supplement found in fish oil) that reduce triglycerides, among other benefits. It is also leaner. Highly recommended...

terry847 and Grumpy Goat like this.