No customization options are available.

Cylinder head protectors

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by Geebee, May 20, 2015.

?

What cylinder head protection will you go for?

1. The BMW crash bars

21 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. BMW cylinder head protectors

54 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. Aftermarket crash bars

8 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Aftermarket cylinder head protectors

59 vote(s)
    36.9%
  5. I love living dangerously ;-)

18 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Scorch, your photo of the damage shows precisely why the full cover is best, and the fact that once installed the scratches are completion hidden proves this. Got mine installed yesterday and that included buying a set of Torx bits and a small torque wrench (add $120 to the cost of the protectors!) as I did not want to "guesstimate" 7 ft.lbs torque on the aft screw. I needed the bits and the baby torque wrench anyway.

On my Honda I got folding adjustable levers because in a crash you want to be able to ride home (if possible) and if either lever is broken this would be improbable. Don't know of there are folding adjustable levers to fit this bike though, and of there are they would probably cost an arm and a leg.

Scorch likes this.
  2. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

I fitted the BMW crash bars. Easy to fit, look nice and help you remember how wide the bike is when you have the panniers on. Plus you can mount lights on them.

3. shootersteve77

shootersteve77 Active Member

I've been looking at the Hepco & Becker Engine Guard from Motomachine. They look very nice and are inexpensive. They came highly recommended by a friend GS rider. I feel I need the security of bars even though I prefer the looks of the BMW head covers...

4. Tails

Tails New Member

I went for the Wunderlich carbon fiber protectors. They may not protect as much but they certainly look good on the bike!

[​IMG]

Thierry Tits, itay alter and Piperman like this.
  5. GuzziKarl

GuzziKarl Member

6. Grumpy Goat

I am definitely not "feeling" the Touratech design. Not as functional as the MM full covers, looks don't past muster in my eyes, and at that price they should be shot. Not all TT stuff is good, apparently.

lacemi likes this.
  7. GuzziKarl

GuzziKarl Member

I can tell you they work when I walked my RT to the ground in Rocky Mt National Park in a September. Not my best day,, not a scratch on either the bike or guard.
    Looks , to each their own,,

8. Grumpy Goat

Good that it worked for that fall and I am glad that the bike was not damaged. It depends on the fall. Agreed on the looks being personal as stated.

9. GuzziKarl

GuzziKarl Member

That said,,, the demo with the intentional tipped over GS would sell me on that solution too

10. Grumpy Goat

That sold it for me although in all honesty, no one knows if the GS was functioning after the drop as he never started it. ;)

11. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I'm with scooter71 on this, BMW cylinder head guards. I have limited access between a gate and solid wall, both of which would scrape a nice line on the bike, only inches to spare so covers fitted. Space is tight in my shed so I need them parked close to the walls and these (RS and ST,bmw black) allow for an occasional rub against the side without damage.
    upload_2016-2-22_12-28-5.png

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  12. gros.tony

gros.tony Member

Hello Dave,
    Can you join a bigger picture please? I have to choose between the BM ones and X-heads and a this would help me.
    Thanks in advace.

13. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Hi Tony,
    as requested, a few shots of the bmw stainless steel engine guards. The kit does include two replacement, longer, bolts for the head cover and all you need to fit.
    P1020434 (2).JPG P1020430 (2).JPG P1020431 (2).JPG P1020432 (2).JPG

Tails, runnerhiker and gros.tony like this.
  14. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

15. Grumpy Goat

Agree with Scorch.

16. gros.tony

gros.tony Member

Thanks a lot Dave,
    They look really really good! Lot better than the x-head but certainly with less protection ....
    Eternal dilemma, form over function...
    As price is about the same, I think I will choose the look, I have my insurance in case of heavier damage.
    I hope to have no regrets... :)

Scorch likes this.
  17. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

To give you hope, should the worst happen, these are the older style black guards on my R1200r and R1200ST. The loaded R had just been on it's side, car park picnic stop near Lillehammer Norway. Still not sure what I did wrong, lost my footing, may have not been in 1st gear, my mistake. Bike went down on gearchange side as I stopped and rolled beyond just the engine, handlebars got a scrape, panniers got a mark(unlike the RS they aren't colour matched) and somehow a scrape on the little clear fairing. Maybe the weight at the back got the bike to roll but the panniers stopped any other impact points. Went over so far the wheels were not touching the tarmac, at least the little counterweight in the fuel tank closed off and nothing spilt. Stood the bike up and it started with no problems.
    P1010046 (2).JPG
    No other damage near the engine and I just removed the guards, rubbed out the scratch and re-sprayed both covers so they look identical
    The screen scratch was above the two left side screws which surprised me how far the bike and handlebars must have moved as it fell.

P1000705 (2).JPG

18. gros.tony

gros.tony Member

Thanks Dave, I'm now convinced ;)

19. lacemi

lacemi Member

It is very expensive but it is very great look.

20. lacemi

lacemi Member

:D:D:D