No customization options are available.

Cylinder head protectors

Discussion in 'R1200RS Appearance Mods' started by Geebee, May 20, 2015.

?

What cylinder head protection will you go for?

1. The BMW crash bars

21 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. BMW cylinder head protectors

55 vote(s)
    33.5%
  3. Aftermarket crash bars

8 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. Aftermarket cylinder head protectors

61 vote(s)
    37.2%
  5. I love living dangerously ;-)

19 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. Geebee

Geebee Member

I'm still on the fence when it comes to what cylinder head protectors to install. Right now I'm inclined towards the more solid crash bars rather than the cylinder head covers. Apart from the BMW options, are there other alternatives you would recommend?

2. Fitzharris

Fitzharris Member

I thought about the bars, but went with the protectors after seeing the bars on an RT. It was a styling compromise.

3. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

I just received my machine art protectors. I pretty impressed with the quality and the fact that there is an inner "softer" carefully designed piece between the valve cover and the tougher "composite plastic" outer cover. Will install them latter today. seems to be very easy

Stixx, Aussie Import and Rman like this.
  4. Nigel-GS

Nigel-GS New Member

Make sure to use lubricant on the threads or they will weld to the cylinder head as they did on my GS .Regards Nigel

Roger likes this.
  5. Chet

Chet Active Member

I ordered the same ones as BoB and just installed them. Finish and fit were excellent, they replaced the stock spark plug covers and I think they fit right in with the color scheme of the bike.

IMG_0318.jpg

Or maybe I should say plastic scheme.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  6. k2keller

k2keller New Member

I put the AltRider cylinder head protectors on mine, and I really like the look.

7. Alfa

Alfa New Member

Do you think that these protectors will restrict the air flow over the heads to allow for maximum cooling?

8. Psy69

Psy69 Active Member

People have been using them since the 2013 LC GS with no ill effects.

9. Scooter71

Scooter71 Member

I bought the factory engine guards. They are metal and very solid but will only protect the lower portion of the Valve Cover so basically a slow drop in the garage. I do think they look good and will do their job.

Attached Files:

runnerhiker, andybima and Psy69 like this.
  10. Woodleg

Woodleg Member

That's right. And don't forget it, LC boxer uses Liquid Cooled heads... So airflow in this point shouldn't be a problem.

Geebee likes this.
  11. k2keller

k2keller New Member

My engine temps have been fine with them on.

12. Rman

Rman Member

Me three. Got them on the other night, they do fit well. Just hope I'll never need to test them out.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  13. Psy69

Psy69 Active Member

I got a pair of these
    I like the fact the guy stands by his product by dropping his GS, and also the larger coverage offered to protect from any roll over on the heads.

ptijen, Charlie7 and Rick P like this.
  14. Rick P

Rick P New Member

Thanks Psy69! I'll get these too I think - pretty impressive protection. It was quite interesting the sound the bike made when it hit the deck - certainly sounded a very solid but somehow lighter impact than I was expecting - bet the fuel tank was empty! Not the best lookers though...

15. Psy69

Psy69 Active Member

Function over form ;)

16. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

I'm going for the crash bars so I can mount some extra lights. When the shop gets around to delivering them I'll let you know how mounting the bars goes.

Olle Skeppstad and tobyduke51 like this.
  17. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Just ordered the X-Head protectors also, largely based on the large amount of protection coverage and the fact that the guy dropped the bike deliberately and there were no obvious ill effects. Of course he mever did start the engine so who knows ... ;)

Mine will look just like on Chet's bike. :)

MartinC and Aussie Import like this.
  18. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Only, maybe, 5 "sleeps" until my RS should be ready for collection. I do like the MachineArt products, and will probably order a "package" of the mudslinger, the front guard (if and when available) and the covers.
    I had BMW protectors on my 1st R1100S which was "T-Boned" and had the motor driven into the pavement by a 71 year old Astra driver. The protectors were not seriously damaged - but the bike was bent. Since I am still walking and undamaged, you can see why I love the flat twin.
    I did not replace the protectors when I swapped over to the replacement "S".
    Seriously, if you hit the deck hard enough to actually damage the covers without protection, the covers will probably be damaged too and it is really a cost of 2 aftermarket covers v. 1 standard unit - but the "bling" factor tips the scales in favour of MachineArt.

19. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

They just arrived this evening and wil be installed tomorrow. :) They look very robust, and the inner rubber liner is very thick and will attenuate the impact from a drop quite nicely.

20. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I have these on mine, and decided on them after the bike was dropped and I saw how much damage a low speed drop can have, and also how it will roll over on the cylinder head due to inertia (as described in the video above).

The BMW covers and the Wunderlich carbon fibre ones look a little nicer, but they don't cover the tops of the cylinder head, and so some damage could still occur. See how high up the scratches go here:
    DSC_0396.JPG

The damage is completely hidden behind the protectors as you can see below, though I am finally having the valve cover replaced tomorrow.
    DSC_0575.JPG
    I also had to replace my clutch lever, and there are scratches on the luggage rack, giving an indication of how far over the bike might rock on the cylinder head.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015