No customization options are available.

Chrome header rusting?

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by Gerard Anderson, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Gerard Anderson

Gerard Anderson Member

Noticed that the chrome header, on the underside especially, look like they are rusting. the surface is pitted and rough. I tried giving them a good clean today but it really didn't make it much better.

I havent been looking that closely over the period i've had the bike but now coming to second service and towards the end of the warranty I was wondering if this sounded like something the dealer should fix?

I have done about 18500 Km over a year and a half to give you some idea of the age.

Anyone else noticed this? I saw a photo on a magazine website with a long term review that had similar rusty brown looking spots. This is not blue-ing of the chrome, more like pitting.

Not too happy with the quality of the chrome as I though this should protect the pipes from rusting!

Anyway, i'd be grateful to hear if anyone has any words of wisdom on this topic..

2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Pictures needed really, but some form of oxidisation is natural with exposure to air. There are very effective cleaning methods with s/steel.

ray2 and Grumpy Goat like this.
  3. Gerard Anderson

Gerard Anderson Member

Thanks andy. I'll try to post some tomorrow.

4. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

I have some slightly pitted chrome on one header. Mentioned it at the 600 mile service. The tech didn't think it was a warranty issue, but I'll keep an eye on it. If it gets worse I'll raise it again. At least it's logged on the system.

5. boxter

boxter Active Member

If you look at the sales brochure for the 2016 RS it says and the bike comes with genuine chrome exhaust system, this shocked me as I spent 20 years of biking trying to get rid of chrome by fitting stainless, and now all sensible manufacturers of bikes fit stainless systems apart from bmw !!!!

Old hat

Ged

DJBee and boxerboy like this.
  6. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

It's chrome over stainless steel.

ray2 likes this.
  7. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Overkill?
    I really like the look of bright pipes. Think of the impact they make on a BSA Gold Star. I just haven't figured out how to maintain them without heaps of time and effort. So mine are blue to brown.

8. shorn sheep

shorn sheep Active Member

Actually we are in fashion without even trying, the blued effect is all the rage on the Japanese bike scene, people are building systems with deliberately blued out headers then a nice Yoshimura can to top the whole thing off. They can't really wring the bike out to see if it goes faster due to the traffic, also they can hardly touch their feet on the ground at the traffic lights either BUT they have a wicked looking exhaust, good on them i say

Attached Files:

boxerboy likes this.
  9. boxter

boxter Active Member

Then why did my 2016 bike headers go rusty, and a fellow biker I tour with has a case with BMW in consideration now for his being rusty, doesn't look like stainless to me.

Ged

10. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

It's not a ferrous metal. I placed a magnet on the headers and it did not stick.
    Chrome is a coating so you can't see what the metal looks like under the chrome.
    Maybe the chrome coating itself is rusting.

lacemi and boxter like this.
  11. boxter

boxter Active Member

That's a possibility

Ged

12. shorn sheep

It's why it's called stain less, not stain never. It can rust like other metals ( have a look at some boats) just not as fast and there are many different levels of stain less ness

Lee likes this.
  13. boxter

boxter Active Member

Ocean going boats are swamped frequently in high content salt water, not a good comparison unless you leave your bike regularly on the seafront in onshore wind storms. Or do beach riding.

Ged

14. shorn sheep

with the mudguard being quite useless and splashing everything off the front wheel onto the engine and headers if salt was spread on the roads and an r1200rs zoomed over said road it might get some on it?

boxter likes this.
  15. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

My observation is that the chrome crossover tube under the engine sure takes a beating. I don't think there is anything you can do to protect the finish of that pipe, or restore the original finish once it has seen road debris. However, at least it is out of view - so it can be out of mind, if you don't go looking for it. ;)

16. boxter

boxter Active Member

Truly it would and it would get washed off immediately on return.!

Ged

shorn sheep likes this.
  17. lacemi

lacemi Member

I washed chrome whit SIDOL, Sidol its liquid to clean metal and plate.

18. m1bjr

m1bjr Member

Some Stainless Steels are 'ferritic' grades - normally cheaper and contain varying amounts of iron.
    Typically used in car exhausts, cheap but slightly magnetic. Often too weak to tell but the iron in it causes a definite rusting effect.

shorn sheep likes this.