No customization options are available.

Check Oil Level Warning Coming On

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by darrell, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Aside from any alleged dyno-proven performance reduction which I don't have, I have none of the other mentioned ill effects. Suffice it to say that the top of the sight glass on my bike is achieved when the manufacturer's recommended volume of oil (4 US.quarts) is poured in, so I am not bothered.

Jim Evans and MrVvrroomm like this.
  2. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Remember this is an oil LEVEL warning light, not oil pressure. The purpose of the light is to alert you to check the oil level. I would rather have it come in early, that way you have plenty of time/miles to buy some oil if necessary, you don't need to top up immediately provided it is above the minimum level. By the experience here it appears to actuate well before the minimum level, nothing wrong with that in my book.

Richard230 and Peter Burridge like this.
  3. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Absolutely. My bike doesn't burn a noticeable amount between services either. I've had my bike filled to the top of the sight glass at the first two services and gear changing was affected both times. Whether performance was an issue or not I'm not sure as i don't 'rag' my bike enough to find out :) The qualified motor mechanic in my past tells me that overfilling isn't a good thing and experience bears that up.

Grumpy Goat and MrVvrroomm like this.
  4. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Have to agree with GG here. I run the level at the top of the red circle and shifting is just fine. I rode a K1200 GT yesterday and was astonished how crappy the shifting was by comparison.

MrVvrroomm likes this.