No customization options are available.

Charging a dead lithium battery

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by Richard230, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

My son-in-law thought it would be a good idea to charge a small motorcycle lithium battery that was completely dead as the last time it was charged was 6 years ago. And he decided to charge it with a 6-amp car battery charger. Naturally, he almost burned down their house, but fortunately caught the melt down just in time. Not good idea! :eek: melted lithium battery.jpg

duccrazydave likes this.
  2. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

Those chargers will go up to 17v if you try to charge a LiFe battery with it. That's odd that it's completely dead as those LiFe cells are known for holding charge. I have several packs in storage from 2010 that are still reading 13.4-13.5V .

ray2 likes this.
  3. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

parasitic drain - even an LCD clock as on my R1150GS will flatten a 20Ah AGM battery after a few months

ray2 likes this.
  4. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

That is likely what happened. His 1985 Kawasaki GPz550 has an LCD screen on the fuel tank. And I am sure he didn't disconnect the battery before storing the bike in a friend's garage for a few years.

Attached Files:

shorn sheep and ray2 like this.
  5. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

This post is a good caution of handling LI batteries, any of he several different chemistries! They do NOT take charge like lead acid/AGM batteries. Please be careful.

Richard230 likes this.
  6. Kyriv

Kyriv Active Member

Oh, he stored the bike without disconnecting the battery or placing it on a tender for 5 years? That would do it for sure!

I have been meaning to replace the RS battery with a lightweight LiFe unit... but rather spend my time riding....