No customization options are available.

Chalk and Cheese

Discussion in 'Readers Rides' started by GordonH, Jun 9, 2017.

1. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

my last 2000 or so miles have been completed solely on my RS, but this week I serviced my 98 Ducati 900ss ie (oil, filters and treated it to new timing belts) and put around 100 miles on it as a shakedown after fettling her........wow what a difference to the RS!

Now you may say "no shit, Sherlock!".....but I was genuinely staggered by the difference......now the Duc is about 50kg lighter, has much stiffer suspension, turns slower, torture rack riding position, on/off dry clutch, over geared, no abs or traction control and requires constant attention at low speeds.....and only has 80bhp. It's a little bit like comparing a go cart to a Range Rover Sport. The only area where the Duc scores over the BM is on high speed cruising - ie 90 plus (more planted and engine even lazier) and "character" ( this includes noisy clutch, inability to pull anything less than 2k revs without getting the shakes, the occasional misfire, exhaust note, a turning circle of a supertanker and mirrors that oscillate in tune with the engine.

BM wins hands down.

Nice ride though!

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

2. boxter

boxter Active Member

Obviously the 90 mph was done on a track !!!

Did the duc not breakdown?

Ged

Leon.P. likes this.
  3. GordonH

Of course......in kph....

4. GordonH

It didn't breakdown.......but.......had a couple of misfires pulling away from some roadworks (dodgy coil or crank position sensor......will it happen again......who knows?)

I'm never quite sure whether it will start (it always does) or what surprise it will spring in me - rev counter not working for half a minute or so last summer....then ok, oil leak from filter last Feb (for no apparent reason other than it was a cold day, never done it before), erratic neutral light, occasional loss of battery charge.....the list goes on.

It's never left me at the side of the road though and those old 2 valve air cooled engines are a lot tougher than people think.

5. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Everyone needs a Ducati in their life at some stage. I'm gradually working on my financial controller with the aim of purchasing one of the new Supersports. 15578751_663830480445756_5230792429989331647_n.jpg

Slipstream, duccrazydave and Leon.P. like this.
  6. jlduck

jlduck Well-Known Member

I've had three Ducatis and still have my '92 851. The first one was an '87 750 Paso and, after I got the Weber carburetor sorted out, the only thing that ever went wrong with it, was the starter relay. It was made by Lucas, the prince of darkness! I put 50,000 miles on that bike. Then I had a 2007 GT1000. No mechanical failures, but the gas tank was a polycarbonate that warped due to the ethanol in California gas. Replaced three times under warranty, finally coated with Caswell epoxy to solve the problem. Sold it to buy the RS. Really problem solved!

duccrazydave, RJC_BMW and Leon.P. like this.
  7. jlduck

jlduck Well-Known Member

8. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Vespa's do that....

9. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I purchased the first Ducati Multistrada. Lots of fun. Lots of Warranty.Lost heaps of money when I purchased my next two Yamaha FJR1300A. Followed by BMW ST, GT, and 2 R1200RS. Now I am really happy!!!:):):):)

Slipstream likes this.
  10. boxerboy

boxerboy Well-Known Member

Gordon the Duc looks fantastic, however she goes !

11. GordonH

Yes - it's more of a looker than the RS

I also forgot to mention the lack of a quickshifter.......I've got so used to using the power shifter (especially on the downshift) that I had to constantly remind myself that the Duc didn't have one.

Leon.P. likes this.
  12. Mr. 36654

The Eclipse tank and saddle bags were top notch in their day. I think I had the next size smaller sportpak tankbag (but same red stripe) on my K75

jlduck likes this.
  13. jlduck

jlduck Well-Known Member

One item on the Paso that was brilliant, was the little sprung handle that made putting it on the center stand a breeze. The RS could certainly use one.

Leon.P. and Mr. 36654 like this.
  14. Mr. 36654

Seems someone at BMW must have forgot to pass-on that cutting edge technology at their retirement party.
    The K75 and K100's had that magic handle, too.

Leon.P. likes this.
  15. RJC_BMW

RJC_BMW Active Member

After 29 years of riding Ducati, I LOVE my BMr!

Attached Files:

Leon.P. and duccrazydave like this.
  16. Mr. 36654

The Ducati's are quite stunning.

RJC_BMW likes this.
  17. GordonH

Nice 800SS!

RJC_BMW likes this.
  18. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member Contributor

Amen. Had a 2012 Multistrada, and a 2014 Panigale S...both gone now, replaced by a 2016 R12RS and a lightly-used 2009 K13S. Loved the Ducatis for what they were, but I'm FAR more comfortable on my BMWs. Played with the Pani's electronic suspension ad naseum, but it was always a squirrelly bitch...felt like it'd chuck me off at any moment when riding over any pavement that wasn't perfectly smooth. My K13S just rolls over it and ignores the road imperfections. Very stable. My R12RS is even better, especially on 'DYNAMIC' mode.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Leon.P. likes this.