No customization options are available.

Catastrophic Fork Seal Failure

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Gregory Clark, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Daboo

Daboo Active Member

BMW put their name on the bike. They have the responsibility for making it work.

You can bet they take the credit for the bike when it works well...they should also take the credit when it fails.

Chris

runnerhiker, Grumpy Goat and Leon.P. like this.
  2. Randal

Randal Active Member

BMW have a call back on 2017 gs models for front shock top sealers. Maybe something similar, wirth while finding out?

3. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Randal, I think the problem with the GS is the mounting of the telelever "stopper". They are not really "shocks". It seems BMW changed the telelever sliding posts from the ones I had on my R1100S, where the whole of the tube went through the upper triple clamp, to another design. The new design only seems to have a smaller bolt go through the upper triple clamp. The "stopper" is the bit that keeps the inner tubular slider held against the upper triple clamp.

4. Gregory Clark

Gregory Clark Active Member Contributor

Final update.

As suspected it was a seal failure between the external fastener and the internal cartridge. This is not a common failure, so I guess I just got lucky. :) The left fork seal was replaced and the fork was filled with oil.

As a side bar I noticed the front suspension is a bit stiffer on the ride home.
    [​IMG]

dcysurfer likes this.
  5. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I wonder why they replaced the fork seal and wonder why the front suspension feels stiffer now?

6. Gregory Clark

They replaced the seal at the bottom because it failed and they are a one use seal and must be replaced when servicing the fork.

As for why it feels stiffer? Not sure. Perhaps the left fork cartridge wasn't assemble and filled correctly at the factory and now it is. Or it may just need a few cycles to work itself back in.

It was completely pulled apart, filled, primed and reassemble.

7. dcysurfer

dcysurfer New Member

I'm pretty sure this is the same failure my fork seal suffered. It was replaced under warranty and I've done 10000 km on it since, including a 4100 km two-up tour of the South Island, NZ, without issue.

Gregory Clark likes this.
  8. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Oops, I was thinking fork seal.

9. Gregory Clark

By the way, the ride home really drove home how much better this version of the RS is vs. my 1995 RSL I've been riding the last couple of weeks. I really love the older machine and doubt I'll ever sell it but compared to the 2016 version it is much more tour oriented vs. the sporty edge of it's younger sister.
    [​IMG]

Also, I had the newest software loaded while the bike was in for repair. Does someone in this community know anything about the updates of latest release? I'll run a scan with my GS911 tonight but all that will tell me is what modules were updated, but nothing about what was corrected.

oscarguitar likes this.
  10. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

No one (like my dealer) told me about "the latest release". :oops:

11. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Active Member

I would have LIKED to see both forks' oil changed. I admit it's not really necessary but I'm kind of anal that way. It would be (to me) like replacing one spark plug, there's no way I could do that. ;)

12. Gregory Clark

I thought the same thing but then I'll be pulling them apart again in the spring when I slip in the Tractive cartridges.

13. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

I had a software update for my 6k mile service. (2017 Euro4 engine). I was told it was to deal with reported injector and sensor faults. It also seemed to have improved the throttle response on the Euro 4 engine which had a bit of a hole in it compared to the 2016 E3 version. (But that was probably my imagination).

Gregory Clark likes this.