No customization options are available.

Cannonball Run

Discussion in 'Canadian Riders' started by Bazza Beemer, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

So I have signed up for the southern Alberta cannonball run on 12 June. I am doing the 500 mile one and is to be complete in 12 hours over 919kms. I will strap the bag on the back and take water etc. Will do stretcher excercises at each stop. Have allowed 4 x 1/2 hour stops and multiple stretch stops. I can go 250kms on a tank and the verification stops pretty much match those numbers. I am not going to abide by the maximum posted speeds. Probably go slower!;)
    More updates later.

2. jlduck

jlduck Well-Known Member

Awwreet! Look up this guy: Carl Reese.jpg

His name is Carl Reese

3. Bazza Beemer

I am only doing 500 miles in daylight only. Too many pronghorn antelopes, deer and coyotes around to run fast at night.
    Carl is sure a unique achiever to do what he did.

4. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

According to the 'Net, there are 2,790 miles by road between these two cities. It is a bit shorter as the crow flies. If it took him a few minutes longer, 39 hours, he would be averaging 71.54 miles per hour. When you factor in stopping for fuel, rest, food and the like, the average speed climbs right on up. Assuming 5 hours in total stopped it would require an average speed of over 87 miles per hour.
    Great effort.

5. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

It was a great effort to not end up in jail or with a deer as a fender ornament. ;)

6. OKBMW

OKBMW Active Member Contributor

Excellent! keep us posted.

7. Bazza Beemer

Well, it is done. Did just over 1000kms yesterday 12 June. We averaged just over 100kph and had one LEO give us the red/blue wave as the group passed by him. He kept going as it was a quiet route and they most likely knew there would be a lot of riders (love the sight of their tail lights). We were only about 20 over when he got within range and they are usually forgiving.
    The group was 8 people from our casual riding group with a mix of bikes. 2 impressive ones were a C650GT BMW scooter. Jeez have I ever got respect for those things now - it would cruise at any speed and at times 16o. Bit slow off the line but I compare with the other bikes. The other was a 2004 Suzuki SV650S. That lady had no problem keeping up with the big boys.
    My RS - after 1000kms in under 12 hours total with stops, my arse was starting to feel it and my neck was sore. Otherwise pretty good other than tired. The features I appreciated from the bike were the shift assist that I used mostly for deceleration, the D-ESA which I adjusted on the fly, the cruise to take away hand fatigue, the hand warmers and the overall fuel range as I was skipping some fuel stops that the others made.
    We had a good time - next one is Duffey Lake route back through Whistler Mountain (venue of 2014 Winter Olympics) to Vancouver and around to the east then in July/August 'Going to the Sun' road in Montana.
    Got to sort others pics and will post if anything is interesting.