No customization options are available.

Bylong Valley

Discussion in 'Australasian Riders' started by Bill, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Bill

Bill New Member

To BMW RS 1200 RS riders who live in NSW (or anywhere for that matter), I finished a two-day ride today from Newcastle down the Putty Road to Lithgow (through the Blue Mountains) then back north up the Bylong Valley to Newcastle.

There have been posts before on this site about the Putty Road - which is excellent - in either direction. But I haven't read any reports about venturing up the Bylong Valley. It is a beautiful ride and apart from a few hairpins (down to 25 kms per hour), the Valley road is perfect for very high speed BMW type riding.

Day 1 - was slow because of lots of storms and the Putty ride is dangerous in the wet (through Yengo National Park).

Day 2 - perfect weather and quite a quick ride. Stopped overnight at Lithgow - I can recommend an Airbnb right in the heart. Stopped at Rhylstone for breakfast (100 kms out of Lithgow heading North to Bylong).

Recommended ride either direction.

676 kms in total (give or take). Here is the route we took - we went clockwise so came up the Bylong Valley from the south:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/...d6816333f40!2m2!1d151.781667!2d-32.928333!3e0

best wishes
    bill

2. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Nice one Bill. I've never done the Putty Rd - I'm in the south of NSW - but must do it one day. I'm planning a trip to Maleny in February so I might take in some of your recommendations.

3. Mick O'Halloran

Mick O'Halloran Member

Thank's for that Bill. Even though I live in Victoria I have ridden Bells, Putty Rd's and the Oxley Hwy each year for the last 2 years. I will add that to my next trip up there there.

4. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Nice 1 Bill.:)

5. Bill

Bill New Member

Dear Michael and Mick - I know there is a 'Putty Road Fan Club' among riders, but in my view the Bylong Valley Highway is a much better ride North-South (or South-North) than the Putty Road, although the latter is a fine ride.

I say that because the terrain is more varied. The curves are beautiful on a big BMW boxer going fast. There is much less traffic (especially at weekends). There are better cafes at Rhylstone cf. to the Grey Gum (on the Putty) with is pretty average these days, and .... the police don't patrol the Bylong like they do the Putty Road.

Both are good but I prefer the Bylong route through the Dividing Range than the Putty Route. The only issue is you are further out west. But for those heading north to the Thunderbolts Way - Walcha or the Oxley then that isn't really an issue.

best wishes
    bill

Braden likes this.