No customization options are available.

Buying new or nearly new RS SE, advise needed.

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Vlady, Jul 24, 2017.

1. @hotmail.co.ukRich Yates

@hotmail.co.ukRich Yates New Member

Never had cruise control, heated grips, tyre pressure monitors, active suspension or anything like that before. The most I've had to deal with is ABS on my CBF! There's going to be a lot of burning the midnight oil reading the manual.

2. @hotmail.co.ukRich Yates

Not too sure what the new dash will look like but neither was the dealer!

3. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

That's because it's an option on the GS, is it available for the 2018 RS??

4. Vlady

Vlady Member

Hi Rich, my Yamaha doesn't even have an ABS! ha ha ha! :)
    To be honest I never had a situation when I had to lock my front wheel, well, I usually don't go very fast either! :)
    It will be good and interesting to have these gadgets! :)

5. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

I rate ABS as THE most important development for cars in my lifetime. With bikes? Until the RS not sure.
    On my R11S the Brembos were non-ABS. They were good, no issues. Then I had a brake line split and dumped all the fluid. No BMW parts at dealer, so got set of braided steel lines.
    After thst, the brakes were awesome. The were so powerful I was over-cautious and deliberately used maximum distance to stop in tricky situations as the front wheel could lock up easily.
    With ABS on the RS I have no such concerns at any time, in any weather, on any surface. It makes the ride so much more relaxed for me.

Grumpy Goat and Vlady like this.
  6. @hotmail.co.ukRich Yates

Well, not long now. Bike is made and being shipped! :)

Vlady and Bravo like this.
  7. Barbelson

Barbelson Active Member

You've had a long wait Rich. It will be worth it!
    Funny thing is that all the extra 'goodies' that you are looking forward to become 'essentials' after a few weeks. Yesterday my hands started to get cold, so I put the heaters on. Today, as usual, I checked the tyre pressures for the first half mile. I used the cruise control at every opportunity, just to relax my right hand. The wonder wheel on the left is constantly in use with the sat nav. The quick shifter becomes second nature after a while (6-9 months in my case). The suspension just works! There is such a confidence in cornering that everything just feels right.
    Looking forward to hear how you get on Rich!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  8. Vlady

Vlady Member

Lucky you! :)
    We want to see pictures as well! ;)
    When do you think you will get the bike?
    Barbelson I think is totally right about all the goodies, as long as they work! :)

9. @hotmail.co.ukRich Yates

I was told week 39 which is the last week in September, might be earlier if I'm lucky. Yes I'll post some pics as soon as. I've managed to go for a test ride for a few miles so I've had a taste of all the goodies...I think! I think it'll be a while before I can use them effectively.

Vlady likes this.
  10. Vlady

Vlady Member

I have not sold my Yamaha yet (still need to advertise it) but I am very tempted to pop in today to BMW Motorrad and see what offers they have! At the moment this is not the best time but just can't help it, I want a BMW!!! I want BMW RS! :)

11. Vlady

Vlady Member

1st step towards new bike, I put my Yamaha on Gumtree, lets see if it sells! :)
    Where else would anyone suggest to sell an 18 YO bike? I heard ebay charges you money if you sell through them!

12. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

ABS on a bike makes a huge difference! I did an expert additional training on my bike, one of the excercises was emergency braking on sanded tarmac. The non-ABS bikes used up about double the stopping distance...

I bought a demo 2015 RS just over a year ago. Did my test ride on another demo bike, flawless ride. The one I got had a problem in the QS area that got not fixed, traded the bike in last Friday for a new 2017 RS (a new one that had been on display at the dealer's place for about 9 months, it had 0 km's on the ODO).
    The new bike is flawless.

Enjoy yours!

Vlady likes this.
  13. Vlady

Vlady Member

A quick update, I am actually a bit disappointed tbh. I popped in yesterday to BMW East Kilbride just wanted to find out what offers they might still do, prices, deposits required, conditions for PCP etc. To my surprise there were no new bikes (GS's only) and no even 2017 RS models, all they had it was 2 used RS's (not in SE spec) and even then one has been sold! They still have 2 demonstrators in SE form, when I asked the sales when they will put these ones for sale the answer was - most likely next year!
    You can order new bike now and get delivered to them but there are no offers at the moment plus end of the season and updated model coming out for 2018 so they do not keep stock of the RS!
    Basically I walked out of there with nothing and been advised to come back November - December and they might have in stock a new RS.
    Apart from changing colours there are no other changes for 2018 model, sales said it!
    Oh well, I am still to sell my Yamaha so I have a few months to safe some money or look for 2017 model next year!

14. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

You'll find that they'll hang onto the demo bikes for a while,dealers really don't like to register new bikes to use as demo bikes this time of year . Hence hanging on to the ones they already have.

15. Vlady

Vlady Member

That what salesmen said, they will get more money out of them at the beginning of next year than selling them discounted now!