No customization options are available.

British Columbia Washington State Loop

Discussion in 'Canadian Riders' started by Romany, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Romany

Romany Member

Kamloops.
    Rode up today to spend the evening with my wife. It was cold and dark when I left Victoria. The crossing was just rough enough to make the coffee in my belly slosh around. On shore the Fraser Valley was fogged in and damp enough that I pulled off and plugged in my heated jacket.

At Hope I stopped for gas and breakfast. Scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, hash browns and a bottomless coffee. Perfect road food. Gassed and primed with coffee I headed up the Fraser Canyon. Some guy on a 1200GS passed me in Hope so I let him lead all the way to Spencer's Bridge. Always like having a rabbit out in front of me.

At Spencer's Bridge I turned east for a great ride into Merritt. From there it was up 5A into Kamloops. I got great gas mileage 5.5 litres per 100 kilometres. (51mpg).

Most importantly the ride was a real pleasure. The bike was flawless. It's so much easier to ride then the F650GS. It just sings along at 3,500 RPMs. So effortless that I don't even feel tired. Things I'm really starting to like; cruise control, heated grips, shift assist except 2nd to 3rd, can you say clunk. On the old bike I'd be beat up and looking for the sack. Maybe Hannah will want to go dancing.

Tomorrow I head south down to Nighthawk Washington. The boss, she's winging it home to Victoria.

Morning Day Two

Sometimes I Like to listen to music as I ride. Sometimes I like to make music. This morning on Highway 5A the bike wrote a symphony. Lots of High C's, 120 to 140 notes per hour.

The road is flawless, not a pothole, bump or blemish, just a long series of high speed sweepers. I was hoping the climb up and out of Kamloops would warm the tires but at 5*C, little chance of that. At the top of the hill the heated jacket came out. It was time to warm things up.

Traffic was almost non existent. I over took four trucks and the only car I met was a late model brown Rolls Royce. Who buys a brown Rolls? Silver or even black. Must have been a realtor.

I read somewhere that the RS is a gentleman's sport bike. It does not have the raw hooliganism power of a true super sport bike and while it may not be GXer fast; it is quick.

A bike for a renaissance man. A man of letters, a man who sips rye over the rocks and single malt with a splash of water.

It's a refined ride, smooth but potent.

In other words it's a bike for someone not like me. Myself, I'm a rake I blow into town, spend a night with a beautiful woman, and slip out of town in the morning.

Merritt came up rather quickly, 79 clicks in well under an hour which was fine as I needed to warm up over coffee and breakfast.

Highly recommend the Kekuli Cafe (www.kekulicafe.com) good coffee; great bannock.

Afternoon Day Two

Close your eyes. Now imagine a silver grey ribbon twisting its way through the mountain forest. That's the road. To the right; orange red Aspens and Willows frame the picture. On the left; Mountain Ash and Popplar glimmer gold and pale green in the morning sunlight.

There's not a cloud in the sky or a car on the road as we glide along. Occasionally we touch the maximum speed limit, usually in the corners as we set up the approach, through the apex and we're back on the throttle. The speed limit falls behind us.

Lakes and rivers glimmer in our peripheral vision as we flash by. There's no time for pictures, this isn't a photo tour, it's a bike tour and we're riding.

Day Three

Start out this AM in Osoyoos. Crossing the line (Border) then make a sharp right to head west on the Loomis-Oroville Rd. This is a fine road, detailed in the Butler Washington Backcountry Discovery Route map. At Loomis I detour toward Conconully. If I stay on the main road I join Highway 97 in Oroville. The alternative is to head to Conconully. Anyone who's ridden the WBDR will know this road to Conconully. It starts out paved heading south out of Loomis but turns to gravel for the last 19k's to Conconully. I think about what I'm about to do, after all I'm not riding a GS so I take it slow and easy on the RS. If it's rainy or wet don't try this on an RS, RT or RR, otherwise it's worth the effort. On a GS you could blast it.

At Blue Lake I stop for photos. At the fork in the road I turn left toward Fish Lake and continue onto FishLake/Pine Creek Road. It's not a long road but it's strikingly beautiful. Tight twisting corners, edge of the road abyss and paved after the first few miles.

Highway 20 the Cascade route was still open and was its usual stunning self. Coffee up in Mazama at the general store/bakery. Oddly I pass four Coopers between Mazama and Newhalem; must have been a Mini Rally.

As I glide down out of the mountains into the sprawl that surrounds I-5 things go from the sublime to the ridiculous. South of Bellingham with traffic getting heavy I slip from the left lane to the slightly less crazy right lane. With a nice gap ahead and behind me I settle into pacing the car in front of me trying to maintain my space. Turns out the car in front was a State Patrol ghost car. The officer flicks on his lights and pulls me over. I was doing 77 in a 60 MPH zone but he let me off. Oddly I was pacing him matching his speed to maintain a gap. I didn't bring it up.

Once back across the border it was a flat out flying trip to catch the ferry to Victoria and home. The RS was flawless, comfortable, fast, and just a joy to ride. Loving it.

pasko likes this.
  2. Bazza Beemer

Bazza Beemer Well-Known Member

Awesome ride and report. You are game on the gravel with the tires we have. Of course if we put GS tires on gravel would be much more manageable.

3. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Nice report Romany!:)