No customization options are available.

Brighton Speed Trials 2017.

Discussion in 'Travel' started by GordonH, Nov 7, 2017.

1. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Just got round to pulling some pics together from this year's Brighton Speed trials.

This is one of the oldest motorsport events in the world and consists of a "Sprint" (timed run from a standing start - ie not a drag race) along Madeira Drive on the Brighton seafront for bikes. cars and three wheelers (and whatever contraption you built in your shed!).

I think the distance is now a quarter mile (used to be half a mile but the terminal speeds got too high). The course is not straight as there is a slight right hand curve part way along. There is very little braking distance at the far end before you hit the marina, this makes it really interesting as some of the fast bikes are posting 9s quarters at terminal speeds of over 180mph.

This is one of those events thats noisy, smelly and up close in your face. You can walk the pits and get really close to the action. During the course of the day, racing was stopped twice, once for an old lady who was taking her dog for a walk on the fast end of the strip and another for a bunch of the local winos who had sat down for a quick pint or 8 on the track. This sprint falls in to the category of "health and safety" wouldn't allow it if it was invented today - long may it continue!!

This year was pretty special as the sun came out and the sky stayed blue....

P1080760.jpg P1080761.jpg
    P1080763.jpg
    P1080770.jpg
    P1080777.jpg
    P1080784.jpg
    P1080806.jpg
    P1080815.jpg
    P1080821.jpg
    P1080866.jpg

2. GordonH

and some more plus a bit of video..............with a couple of aero engined cars - 27l v12 merlin and a 24l w12 napier lion.

P1080926.jpg

P1080870.jpg
    Version 2.jpg P1080917.jpg
    P1080887.jpg

Alda, Robert the Brews and Bravo like this.
  3. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Great post, lived within 20 miles of this for 30 years and NEVER been, disgraceful. I'll put that right now!

4. GordonH

Andy - I've been twice in 30 years, once when I lived in London and this year so don't worry too much - it is one of those raw eccentric events that you must see though....

5. GordonH

....the video drags on a bit so apologies in advance - I need to learn the art of proper editing!

6. boxter

boxter Active Member

Great pictures and video, we used to have this in Cleveleys near Blackpool on what we called the middle walk, but the health and safety and lack of insurance capabilities signed its death, used to be a great day for both bikers and children ( sometimes the same thing ) .

Everything worth going to is in the south :(

Ged

7. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Lovely photos. Would like to see the Kawasaki triple run!

8. GordonH

AI - it was underwhelming!

...... it looks the business.......but.......it only just managed to burn out (in video) and then it bogged down when the rider launched it, he then over compensated, the thing hit the powerband....and the rider then backed off! So much promise, so little delivered!

there was another guy on an early H1 (mostly std) that did manage to put in a great performance (no pics!).

9. OW31

OW31 Member

They used to have the Blackpool sprint as well, I've got some pics somewhere of my dad competing on his Nortons.

boxter likes this.