No customization options are available.

breaking in

Discussion in 'BMW R1200RS Reviews' started by alain bruneau, Jul 3, 2017.

1. alain bruneau

alain bruneau Active Member

I am picking up my 2017 RS this thursday. The dealer is 200 kms from home. I don,t want to take the highway back having to follow the flow at 120km/hr. I will take secondary roads to break in the brakes and tires . I will probably run the RS between
    3 to 5000 rpm the first 200 kms.
    Afterwards, anything I should do or not do ? This will probably be my last motorcycle
    since I want to keep it a long time.

2. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Manual suggests keeping below 5k revs for first 1000km. This is equates to around 90mph.

Avoid highways/motorways where you sit at constant revs and use back roads where you are changing gear and engine load often.

I took mine over 5k the closer I got to 1000km..........don't be afraid to do this but don't do the opposite and let the engine labour. By 1k I was taking it to the rev limiter. Now at 2.5k mikes, runs perfectly, burns no oil (unlike my old oil head 1150).

I also took it easy on tyres/brakes for the first 100 miles or so to scrub them in.

3. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Agree with all of Gordon's advice. Don't use your cruise control for first 500 km.

alain bruneau and Leon.P. like this.
  4. mousejockey40

mousejockey40 Active Member

I agree with Gordon. definitely no cruise control or highways.
    Use the gearbox as much as possible, also around the 800 miles mark I started to visit 8,000rpm on occasion for short busrts.
    now at 3,450 miles (since I bought her in March this year) no issues whatsoever with the bike.
    The only thing I am going to change is fitting bar risers later this month, apart from that she is perfect.
    I hope you have many enjoyable mile with her :)

alain bruneau likes this.
  5. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I'm of the opinion that as long as you warm it up properly you can go nuts and spank it all the way home as long as you vary the revs.

But that's just me.

So do the first 200km at a reasonable pace and then just ride it like it isn't brand new after that, without thinking too hard about it.

You rarely need more than 5000rpm anyway.

Aussie Import and alain bruneau like this.
  6. potatan

potatan Member

The suggested rev limit can reasonably be exceeded if you are going up an incline - better for the engine than having it labour uphill at 3500 rpm

mousejockey40 and alain bruneau like this.
  7. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

I ride my new bikes on day 1 the same day as I ride them on day 1001.

Lee likes this.
  8. alain bruneau

From what I am reading from different comments, I also think that I will ride the same after the break in period.
    The way this RS perform, I don't think I will go very often over 5500rpm. What I like the most is pushing hard in
    the curves and I have my favorites roads all planned out for this kind of riding. My last sport bike was a Ducati monster 1200
    and I never went more than 160 km/h with it. But in the twisties, it was a blast.

9. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

August 2003 picked up new '04 FJR. Twenty miles later rung up 142 mph on GPS.

Bravo likes this.
  10. alain bruneau

We all have different ways of doing things, I guess:)

11. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

For this I go to my racing roots. It is about the heat cycles.

We build race engines, with no way to break them in, so 3 total heat cycles does the job.

With practical street driving, you will not stress these engines, run it sensible at first. After that, ride it like a rental!

12. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Rentals have carpets to serve as ashtrays.
    Rentals have unlimited speed in reverse.
    We don't have carpets or reverse gear.

13. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

For sure.

It has however been proven many times over that hard break ins (done correctly) generally have a wee bit more power than conventionally run in bikes.

However part and parcel of doing that is to change the oil and filter very early, which doesn't really apply here.

14. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

All engines, etc designed and machined are build to "ideal" design spec....but the machining and building part is not perfect, there are some parts slightly larger than spec, some are slightly smaller than spec. When these parts first come together some engines may have random larger and smaller parts, some mostly smaller, some mostly larger...who knows!! This is why "break in" is needed. In the distant past it was VERY important. Now, with much closer build tolerances, materials it is much less important.
    Having said that the manufactures recommendation is always a very conservative recommendation, but prudent to pay attention to.
    The comment about heat cycles is pertinent as we have still substantially air cooled engines, where local heating, i.e. tight new parts, can be higher than wished. Breaking in has some value here. Note spot over heating is damaging not only to metal but to oil.

I can think of NO reason running an engine "like you stole it" is of any benefit. I can easily think of down side results.
    We are not running race engines which are intentionally machined to loose tolerances, so they produce "best power" on first run!

We can see the "tightness" of our engines if we pay attention to our temperature gauges. When my RS was new it came up to temp in about 1/2 mile down my road at 40 mph. Now at 24k miles i need to go go about 2 to 3 miles to get up to temp. A much looser engine, less friction, less heat.

How you treat your engine, how you break it in is your call.

15. alain bruneau

I am picking up my RS tomorrow and decided to put it on my trailer. The dealer is located on the most busiest highway
    and I prefer starting the breaking in in my area which, is in the country. No traffic, no heating up. There are country roads
    totally wide open for me to vary my speed . Perfect place to play around with the transmission and get use to the bike.
    Can 't wait for tomorrow. I don't know if I will sleep tonight , I feel like a kid on december 24th.

16. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Good plan. You control the break in and, if I were you, I'd follow Gordon's and VTBob's advice above. Its your bike after all. ;)

alain bruneau likes this.
  17. alain bruneau

Thanks for the advice. I intend to do exactly what you suggest. I will break it in on country roads so I can vary my speed and
    ride in different gears. I want to do it smoothly and progressively up 1000kms and after the 1000kms service, with fresh oil, I will play around the 6 and 7000 rpm. I am in no rush, I want to get to know the bike at a decent pace. It is like dating a new woman, one step at the time, it gets better at every stage.

18. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Enjoy Alain - one more sleep till collection!

19. alain bruneau

Can't wait, I am so excited. Forecast tomorrow, 30 C and friday, saturday and sunday , rain.
    I will be busy riding early next week ( good weather) because my 1000kms service is scheduled for July 12th.

20. Phinj

Phinj Active Member

In the US, the rental Motorcycles, have neither carpet nor reverse.

Bravo likes this.