No customization options are available.

Booster plug vs power commander

Discussion in 'Exhaust System & Fuel Delivery' started by lj516, Jul 8, 2015.

1. lj516

lj516 Active Member

Hey guys!
    Well I've had my r12rs for about a month and a half and nearly 2000 miles and loved every second! Now, I have a terrible affliction know as can'tleaveshitalone-itus and have already installed a k&n filter and...gutted the cat... Next on the list is a new muffler, not for more noise but because the stock can covers up so much of my beautiful sssa(single sided swing arm). Now even at this point with just the cat gone and high flow filter I can tell it's running lean, obviously a muffler will exacerbate the problem.
    I don't have any experience with the booster plug but from what research I have done it looks like a popular mod.
    I do however, have experience with the pcV. I would like to hear a few options either way!
    Thanks!
    LJ

2. Charlie7

Charlie7 Member

From my experience, I think it's hard to beat the PC-V with the auto-tune module. That way you get precise fueling that adapts on the fly to present conditions and any changes you may make in the system later. Plus you can tailor the maps such as tuning for maximum fuel mileage at steady throttle cruising speeds and tuning for power at large throttle openings for example.

3. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

I've been reading about the "booster plug" and its several versions for years. Originally is was a mod to change a temperature sensor signal to fool the computer to make the engine run "richer"...this defeats the emissions compliance and "maybe" give a bit more HP. Its main benefit in these older ECU (Engine Control Unit /aka computer) bikes more drivable at small throttle openings.

The new ECU's, their mapping, the number and type of sensors, both real an virtual(synthesized by algorithm), are quite a bit different on many bike. The sophistication has increase by an order of magnitude in the last decade. BMW included.

Unless one really understand how the currnet BMW(or any other manufacture) ECU and sensors work, I would be reluctant to mess around with booster plugs etc. You are far more likely to make performance, let alone emissions worse.

If you must do this, seek some one, some company, who really knows how this generation of BMW ECUs work..and follow their integrated recommendation.

Having said all that and sounding like curmudgeon ... I did major mods of straight pipe, air injection removal, bigger jets, air box baffleectomy, K&N filter on my Triumph Scrambler (carburated version..old tech!!). I got more noise(both intake and exhaust, a bit more HP, worse gas milage...but I love it.

Have fun..bike are toys after all.

lacemi and Bazza Beemer like this.
  4. lj516

lj516 Active Member

I was curious about the auto tune module as well and it seems to be a worth while investment. The only problem now, they don't make one for the r12rs or r12r only the 2014 r12rt. I'm guessing it would work since the motor is the same but it looks like the fuel maps are different so the auto tune would almost be mandatory. You guys think r12rt PC would work on the r12rs?
    I've done my fair share of fuel mods, from my 01 FZ1, Bandit 1200, then bandit with draw through turbo so I know what to look for when it comes to AFR but I'm guessing that FI is a whole new beast to mess with...

5. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

I have the Booster Plug on my 1200 Sport MG, with Mistral exhaust and K&N. It was too lean without it and popped on decel. No more popping and engine runs cleaner and acceleration is improved. Fuel economy did take a small hit though.

lacemi likes this.
  6. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

I installed the Booster Plug on my R1200RT, and on my wife's F650CS (so I am a repeat customer).
    It is easy to install it goes in between the airbox temp sensor and the ECU.
    It basically tells the ECU that the incoming air is about 20 degrees cooler than it really is.
    The ECU interprets this as having air a few percent more dense (cool air is thicker than hot air), and therefore it bumps up the fuel mixture just a bit.
    I installed the booster plug for two reasons. One was because on the older FI systems the throttle was pretty abrupt when going from 0% on to 1%.
    This upset the suspension when going through turns and changing from engine braking to accel, causing the bikes to hee-haw.
    Second, I installed an after market Z-Technik exhaust on my R1200RT, it has a deeper but not louder sound, so it sounded closer to the new RS than it did a sewing machine!
    I've ridden about 350 miles on my RS so far. Don't feel any snatchy-ness in the throttle, and also LOVE the exhaust sound.
    Therfore, I don't feel I need a booster plug.

lacemi likes this.
  7. Bengaz

Bengaz Member

The only problem with the standard (chrome) end can tho is it looks pants. Doesn't suit either colour bike IMO.

Brickhead, JayDub and Charlie7 like this.
  8. lj516

lj516 Active Member

^^ Too true! I have been impressed with the sound since it is not too bad at all compared to other stock systems I've had. But it's the only chrome on the bike and in my part of the US (South Dakota) there is MORE than enough chrome on all the loud smelly HD's that everyone is obsessed with.

apehair and Charlie7 like this.
  9. Bengaz

Bengaz Member

Wonder if they could be painted or wrapped or something?

10. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

How about black chrome?

11. Psy69

Psy69 Active Member

Or just scuffed. A brushed finish would be fine.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  12. Bengaz

Bengaz Member

Both of those would look good. How do you do it?

13. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

apehair likes this.
  14. Bengaz

Bengaz Member

Do yours then show show us ;-)

15. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

I like the chrome. To each their own, and why they offer both ways... It is easy to keep clean and is pleasing to my eye.
    Then again, one day it will be booted for either a Remus or Akro when budget allows...

lacemi likes this.
  16. Bengaz

Bengaz Member

Problem is my dealer said you can't order with the stainless one with the package.

17. Bengaz

Bengaz Member

It has got nothing to do with the sound for me.
    It might feel right to you but believe me it isn't.
    With the pcv it will be perfect (and a decat too). It's how prefect you want your bike to fuel.
    You, you are happy with yours gone, Me, I want the very best I can get out of my engine.
    I did a pipe, filter, pcv last on my 4 valve r1200r, hash it dynoed, what a difference!

stiebs and lj516 like this.
  18. lj516

lj516 Active Member

I'm the same way. I am very sensitive to flat spots in fuel curves and noticed a couple right away obviously a filter and decat has only made things worse. A pcv and dyno trip are in my near future

19. JayDub

JayDub New Member

I feel your pain LJ, a smaller, louder, deeper sounding muffler in carbon or titanium would be great. And affordable please. I would be surprised if Zard wouldn't come out with a whole system. Arrow seems to make a header kit and muffler, has anyone seen or heard those?

20. UncleMart

UncleMart New Member

Hi Guys..
    Re. Mapping / Fuelling:

Hi LJ.
    I agree, if you free up the breathing any more (I.e a free-flowing Can as well) it'd be too lean for my liking too, i wouldn't go so far without richening it up a bit, certainly not with the K&N adding into the equation..!.
    Been-here on another Boxer LC motor - De-cat headers, K&N, Dyno - worryingly lean around 4k...and the F/A all over the shop...and that's before adding an Open Can.
    Can't say that it would harm the motor though, there'll be anti-know software in there i suppose (?) ...and there may be plenty of guys out there that are happy doing all the mods without adding more fuel, but I won't be one of them.

Vtbob - I couldn't agree more:
    Using a Booster on the new RS without knowing the RS ECU / Software in-and-out would not my choice either.. Hit a glitch and screw up your ECU ?..maybe ?....not something i'd be keen on finding out ?.
    Fair-doos if someone has bench tested one on an RS ?..,but info on this isn't something I can find... and i've heard many say that the R LC has a slightly different Map to the RS LC...so even if there's a plug out there for the R i wouldn't be sure it would suit the RS...I am with you Bob, not convinced, yet..!

P.S: I enquired about the PCV - I got a "not yet available, don't know for certain what the plans are for one" (UK)

I tried down the GS LC PCV route as an alternative - but I got advised not to do so..

So - My RS is off for it's OE ECU re-mapping soon, I have the Akra Headers on now, but i will have K&N ready, i will drop a copy of the results here when all's done.

Cheers all,
    Unc.

lacemi, MaxMobilis and Bengaz like this.