No customization options are available.

BMWNA sales are up for 2017

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Richard230, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

2. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Seeing the enterprise as a whole, it is easy to see that BMW is using the (boutique) format that has worked for the automobile side. This must create a familiarity that newer riders feel comfortable with. BMW’s efforts for rider training play a part in this, also...safety is considered a prime endeavor and new riders are encouraged to ask questions and establish a path for improvement. They back it all up with some bikes possessive of technology that is such a game-changer that many paradigms have not caught up with it...yet. I’m pretty impressed with what BMW has been able to accomplish...

Harley Davidson is poised for a renaissance with their water-cooled Milwaukee8 engines, also. We’ll see how it goes, but it looks like a pretty good power plant and the new frames are better than ever. Now if they could just lose about 150 pounds...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Looks like the article said sales were slightly down for 2017.

ray2 likes this.
  4. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Right - they were down quite a bit overall going into the fall.

I didn't understand this one - BMW outpaced the rest of the motorcycle industry (which was down 3.2%) and its relevant competition (which was down 6.3%).
    By relevant competition, did they mean Harley and Ducati..., and Yamaha, and Kawasaki, and Honda, and KTM, and Aprilia, and Triumph?

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  5. Richard230

But the important thing is that BMWNA is "happy". ;)

6. Bub

Bub Active Member

7. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

"... however, overall sales for 2017 were down just 1.3% overall compared to 2016."

When I saw your thread I wondered now where did I see that article saying that sales were down. :) I guess it was this one. With sales up in November and December in the US, it looks like people are buying motorcycles as Christmas presents but overall the leisure motorcycle industry appears to be shrinking. Even in countries where 2-wheeled transportation is the norm, sales could be down overall as people in those countries get more affluent.

Good to read that compared to other manufacturers, BMW's numbers are better. The second to last paragraph is quite interesting in that it shows the expectations tied to the G310GS (and I assume by extension G310R) in those countries where motorcycle transportation is a necessity and at the same time increasing affluence would encourage the purchase there of better class of motorcycles.

8. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Currently ib KL
    Where a 150 is king in a nation of 125s. We are so stupidily blessed with an RS or those many models with even greater performance, we do not see reaility.
    I will keep the RS, gloves, boots, jackets, helmets and enjoy the power of God in my wrist, thank you. But I know it is overkill. A Yamaha R1.5 is king over here.

Grumpy Goat and ray2 like this.
  9. Richard230

Aussie Import and darrell like this.