No customization options are available.

BMWNA sales are up for 2017

Discussion in 'R1200RS Versus The Competition' started by Richard230, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

2. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Seeing the enterprise as a whole, it is easy to see that BMW is using the (boutique) format that has worked for the automobile side. This must create a familiarity that newer riders feel comfortable with. BMW’s efforts for rider training play a part in this, also...safety is considered a prime endeavor and new riders are encouraged to ask questions and establish a path for improvement. They back it all up with some bikes possessive of technology that is such a game-changer that many paradigms have not caught up with it...yet. I’m pretty impressed with what BMW has been able to accomplish...

Harley Davidson is poised for a renaissance with their water-cooled Milwaukee8 engines, also. We’ll see how it goes, but it looks like a pretty good power plant and the new frames are better than ever. Now if they could just lose about 150 pounds...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Looks like the article said sales were slightly down for 2017.

ray2 likes this.
  4. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Right - they were down quite a bit overall going into the fall.

I didn't understand this one - BMW outpaced the rest of the motorcycle industry (which was down 3.2%) and its relevant competition (which was down 6.3%).
    By relevant competition, did they mean Harley and Ducati..., and Yamaha, and Kawasaki, and Honda, and KTM, and Aprilia, and Triumph?

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  5. Richard230

But the important thing is that BMWNA is "happy". ;)

6. Bub

Bub Active Member

7. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

"... however, overall sales for 2017 were down just 1.3% overall compared to 2016."

When I saw your thread I wondered now where did I see that article saying that sales were down. :) I guess it was this one. With sales up in November and December in the US, it looks like people are buying motorcycles as Christmas presents but overall the leisure motorcycle industry appears to be shrinking. Even in countries where 2-wheeled transportation is the norm, sales could be down overall as people in those countries get more affluent.

Good to read that compared to other manufacturers, BMW's numbers are better. The second to last paragraph is quite interesting in that it shows the expectations tied to the G310GS (and I assume by extension G310R) in those countries where motorcycle transportation is a necessity and at the same time increasing affluence would encourage the purchase there of better class of motorcycles.

8. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Currently ib KL
    Where a 150 is king in a nation of 125s. We are so stupidily blessed with an RS or those many models with even greater performance, we do not see reaility.
    I will keep the RS, gloves, boots, jackets, helmets and enjoy the power of God in my wrist, thank you. But I know it is overkill. A Yamaha R1.5 is king over here.

Grumpy Goat and ray2 like this.
  9. Richard230

Aussie Import and darrell like this.
  10. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Looks like a change in approach to numbers. Sales down in the US, but up elsewhere.
    http://bmwmcmag.com/2018/01/bmw-sells-more-motorcycles-and-scooters-in-2017-than-ever-before/
    BMW Sells More Motorcycles and Scooters in 2017 Than Ever Before
    JANUARY 23, 2018 BY STAFF • ABOUT BMW CORPORATE, BMW GROUP, BMW MOTORRAD, REPORT
    BMW Motorrad sold more motorcycles and maxi scooters in 2017 than in any year in its history. At the end of December 2017, a total of 164,153 vehicles (previous year: 145,032 units) were supplied to customers — an increase of 13.2% compared to 2016. Stephan Schaller, General Director of BMW Motorrad, commented, “2017 was another very successful year for BMW Motorrad. We achieved a sales record for the seventh time in succession. I would like to thank our customers most sincerely for the enormous trust they have placed in us.”
    BMW Motorrad USA reported sales of 13,546 motorcycles for 2017, down 1.3% from the 13,730 motorcycles sold in 2016. Despite the downturn, BMW says they outpaced the rest of the motorcycle industry (which was down 3.2%) and its relevant competition (which was down 6.3%).

Sales of BMW motorcycles in the US increased 37.3% in December 2017 (1,270 units) compared to December sales in 2016 (925 units), capping eight months of steady growth over the previous year in BMW Motorrad’s strongest export market. BMW Motorrad USA posted a 15% growth in sales from September through December compared to the same period in 2016, and showed a 27% growth in sales from November through December in 2017 compared to the previous year.

11. Soch

Soch Member

Here in the US, BMW was offering 0% financing in Nov-Dec '17 on all '17 bikes and looks like many took advantage of that, including me. :) Wonder if they offered the same at the end of '16?

12. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

I didn’t finance my ‘16 RS, but got a sweet discount on the bike and the bags last April. There was a leftover 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge at the same dealer for 12,000 USD, but with an out the door price of 18,000 USD for a fully optioned RS with bags I couldn’t pass it up!

13. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

BMW Motorrad USA can start to market their bikes more effectively, if they want to realise better sales figures. Offering more financing incentives and TV advertising will see results, but they'd better hurry before US protectionism is applied so that we are "encouraged" to buy American. Maybe the just don't give a sh*t and can survive without the US market.

14. Richard230

I am still trying to understand why Korean laundry washers and dryers need a 50% tariff in order to be sold in the U.S. Aren't American-made clothes washers expensive enough? :(

15. WilliamJ

WilliamJ Active Member

For perspective, I own a modified Ultraclassic and an RS.
    The HD 8 valve I rented this summer for a trip from Denver to Sturgis was a bit of a disappointment. It was smoother than my HD, but had less useable power than my 2010 Ultraclassic with a big bore kit, cam and modified exhaust, dyno tuned for 95hp/95ft lbs torque. The motor completely ran out of balls at 4k, and my traveling friend and I (on another 8 valve) had to work to cruise at 90+ on the way in. It was not uncommon to downshift 2 gears to pass, and I realized that if you bought one you'd end up spending a fair amount of money to get decent performance out of it.
    BMW had a test ride station at the Buffalo Chip where we stayed, and I went for a ride on an RT while my friends chose the new big BMW bagger. I was reminded once again how much I really like the WC boxer, although felt that the HD Ultra has better wind protection.
    I'm new to the RS and BMWs, but am in love with the 1200WC engine, and am trying to figure out how to sell my Ultra- it's only gathering dust now...

16. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

The ones made by Samsung or LG? Or the GE washers and dryers? GE appliances is owned by the Chinese company Haier. Of course, the Bosch appliances are also a problem.

Back in the day, when all the companies moved to southern states for lower wages.......It was okay to move to low wage areas and call the ex-workers overpaid and lazy. Today, after all the wages have been reduced to southern levels, why should we do anything differently. What you're protecting is some company's ability to offer low wage, minimal benefit jobs. Let's just move on.