No customization options are available.

BMW System 7 helmet

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by DJBee, Jul 22, 2017.

1. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

BMW System 7 helmet:
    I had a look at one of these the other day. They are only just beginning to appear in dealers in the UK and my local dealer only had a couple of examples in stock. My impressions of it were very positive but for me, the most interesting thing was the weight. It was significantly lighter than my Shoei Multitec, itself an excellent helmet. My guess was probably 20-30% lighter due to its carbon fibre shell. All the other design features seemed very similar to previous BMW helmets, especially the System 6.

I have never owned a BMW helmet but have had two Schuberths that were very good. The new BMW helmet, unlike previous BMW examples, is apparently not made by Schuberth.

Does anyone have one of these and if so, what are your impressions?

2. Graham Lewis

Graham Lewis Active Member Contributor

i have also tried them on in the local BMW dealer. they seem to be a size smaller than schuberth i have a 61/62 on schuberth and it was too tight for me on the system 7. the guy at the dealer confirmed the BMW system 7 is coming out smaller presumably due to the internal padding! looks well made but will wait till they get the next size up as the 61/62 made the chin part tight up against my chin not comfortable, price is comparable to c3 pro c4

3. Ilan Balaban

Ilan Balaban Member

For me the weight is a major issue. I replaced my Neotec with an NXR as the difference in weight was 300gr which you really feel in a long ride. I now with the GT-Air which is somewhere in between (100gr heavier than the NXR) as I missed the integral sun screen. A light helmet that can be opened would be a winner. Will have to wait and see / try it.

4. Ross

Ross Member

Have been waiting to try the new BMW Helmet 7 but by the time we get over here North Amerca the snow will be back. To all the boys who can ride all year enjoy.
    When will BMW bring out a snowmobile, if Kawasaki can why not BMW.

5. Mans Ulvestahl

Mans Ulvestahl Member

I bought a spanking new Schubert C4 with communication, but it doesn't fit me at all.
    Returned it, tried a size larger, but no. My head shape and Schuberth don't match.
    If you are in the area, and want to buy a Schubert C4 (white and red) with communication (SC1 Advanced) size large cheap, then you know who to contact.

Tried on BMW System 7. Perfect! I've now ordered one with communication.

6. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

Do let us know how you get on with the BMW helmet.

I am also interested to hear that in Sweden you could return a helmet. I don't think that you would be able to do this in the UK.

7. Mans Ulvestahl

Mans Ulvestahl Member

I could return the first time (new size), but not the second time.
    I understand they call it a "safety issue" (afraid of people returning damaged goods).

Promise to give a review when the System 7 has been delivered.

8. gc141x

gc141x New Member

I just bought a Schuberth R2 this morning. My head fits a Large Shoei RF 1100 well. The Schuberth R2 Large was like wearing an instrument of mediaeval torture so I swapped it out for an XL. I also bought an SC1 unit with it and rather thoughtlessly tore the outer cover off the battery thinking it needed to be removed so I have it taped up now but I need to order a replacement. The Schuberth website had problems- I couldn't register the helmet so it hasn't been the greatest Schuberth day although the helmet looks nice.

Interestingly enough, the SC1 unit is made by Sena so I just bought a replacement battery, SC-A0308, on Amazon for $25.70 and free shipping.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  9. Ross

Ross Member

Got tired waiting for BMW System 7, the new helmet will have to wait till next year, picked up the navigator VI, great bit of kit, all I say about it at the moment boy is it fast. Now which way to the pub.

Bravo and Graham Lewis like this.
  10. PeterG

PeterG Active Member

There should be an advantage in weight being made from Carbon. But I don't see it, the System 7 being at 1.580 g, the Shuberth C4 at 1.570 g. Additionally no one knows yet who is building the System 7 (made in Italia is the only info I got) and warranty and service are unknown while Schuberth providing 5 years (including a crash insurance getting a new helmet for 1/3 when involved in a crash).

11. DJBee

DJBee Active Member

I looked up the weight of the Shoei Multitec that I have and for the extra large, it is 1786 g. Mine is smaller than that and probably a bit lighter, so not quite the weight difference that I thought by just handling the two. Nonetheless, it felt significant and 200g. is a fair weight reduction I guess. The other thing about the Shoei is that it is an old helmet now - ten years old to be exact, so things have no doubt moved on a bit as far as weight is concerned, as the new Schubert 's light weight demonstrates. The System 7 felt very good though and appeared to be well made. The guy in the BMW showroom where I inspected the helmet did tell me where it was made and by whom and I have forgotten the details! It was a well known manufacturer though, as I recognised the name.

I have no statistics or reports to substantiate this but I am certain that the lighter the helmet (all other things being equal of course), the less likely serious neck injuries would be in a crash. The smaller the mass attached to your head the better I would think; and vice-versa. So having a little brain helps here then!

James Bagley likes this.
  12. Jodie Goodall

Jodie Goodall Member

I’ve had my System 7 for around 4 weeks now and love it. Still waiting for communication system to be available. So have my scala installed for the mean time.

138209FD-BEAB-4BB9-8DD2-C6CD6B5A9AC3.jpeg

dragan and Mans Ulvestahl like this.
  13. Jodie Goodall

Jodie Goodall Member

14. Jodie Goodall

Jodie Goodall Member

Lightest helmet I’ve ever owned!

Scorch and Mans Ulvestahl like this.
  15. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Also had a look at them yesterday and they seemed pretty good and actually reasonably priced (cheaper than my Shoei).

Never wanted a modular helmet and still don't care for one, but this one seems like a reasonable compromise.

I would have to have the dealer allow a test ride with one, otherwise it won't be a buy from me.

16. Jodie Goodall

Jodie Goodall Member

I love mine I have never liked modular helmets either but these are so light and pretty cool looking. I do like how I can just flip the front up to chat. I never heard of a bike shop letting you test ride helmets. I know I wouldn’t want to buy one that someone else has taking out and gotten sweaty in and bugs on! It’s not new anymore just my opinion.

17. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I understand you can convert to open face from bmw home page quite quickly but how?
    Using a chain/cable to secure to your bike through the chin strap and the visor opening seems to be less secure if you can just unclip the chin guard.
    Seen other reports of the top box being less than secure from theft attempts so I guess carrying the helmet when away from the bike is the best option now.

18. Jodie Goodall

Jodie Goodall Member

I never leave my expensive helmets/riding gear/ GPS with my bike. I’ll either take with me or put in top box or panniers.

19. Allan "redfox"

Allan "redfox" Active Member

Own a BMW system helmet for a year now, other than the communication system it is totally crap.
    At first it's all good but after a while the helmet wears in and things get noisy and loose, will not buy again.

20. Allan "redfox"

Allan "redfox" Active Member

any shop that not allows you to testride a bike or helmet less than an hour is a shitty shop !