No customization options are available.

BMW G310GS

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Richard230, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Rider magazine, in their February issue, mentions that the G310GS will sell, in the U.S., for $5,695. It will have 7.1 inch of suspension travel, front and rear, and two-channel ABS that can be turned off. They don't mention when the little GS will be available at U.S. dealers.

2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

More than I expected. That's $945 more than the 310R.

3. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I haven't watched it yet, but here is a 21-minute long video riding review of the little GS:

4. Yoda

Yoda Active Member

I took one out as a loaner whilst my RS was being ACF50'd. Felt very small and light (unsurprisingly) and the absence of power was very noticeable (unsurprisingly) but it was fun enough to ride through town. It only had about 300 miles on it so I didn't rev it above 7000 or so, but I noticed a bit of paint flaking off near the headstock which was concerning re quality. Personally I prefer the look of the road version but haven't ridden one.

5. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

6. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

As soon as it becomes available I will take it for a test ride just to see (again) what a $6000 GS rides like, compared to the $5000 roadster version of this bike which I did test ride. I don't expect to be looking to buy one however, since riding in these parts requires a serious bike. I would probably be more impressed with a maxi scooter if I wanted / could afford a toy. :)

That said I still feel that in the right markets these two bikes would make a killing. It is no coincidence that they are being made in India - brilliant move by BMW, because these bikes will likely contribute heavily in the success of BMW Motorrad in the future. In Asia motorcycles are transportation for the masses, and in India especially there is a burgeoning motovlogging scene where 250 class bikes (and interestingly enough KTM 390 Dukes) are king. These baby BMWs are aiming for the sweet spot of that market.

Much as we like our big BMW bikes, they are not what will carry the brand in the future. There is a reason the Japanese bikes are so successful, and BMW Motorrad is merely trying to tap into that.

GordonH, Vtbob and Richard230 like this.
  7. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

I've always been fond of the 350cc class, but I can get a G650GS for just a little more money...