No customization options are available.

BMW 2 year Warranty on used bikes Stopping ?

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Twistydevil, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Twistydevil

Twistydevil New Member

giving you all heads up on used Warranty
    While I was in Williams in Manchester sorting out paper work for a used R1200RS I was told BMW are changing The Warranty from 2 years to 1 year & changing new bikes from 2 to 3 years in January ? I do not know if it is true or he was trying make it look like am getting a better

2. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Does BMW give a warranty on used bikes in any other country?

3. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Hmm, that would certainly make me think twice about my next bike from my dealership, as I was already thinking that I'd probably go used next time, to save some money.

4. slippery

slippery Member

guess the used warranty is costing them a fortune, my mate has just had a 3 grand claim on his K1300s

5. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

For me, a 3 year warranty would make me more likely to get a new BMW if I change.
    Overall bike sales are down across the globe and I imagine the sales of bikes on 2 year PCP deals are tailing off in the UK - these deals seem great at the start but many people have found the pitfalls the hard way, especially if they want to buy something other than a new BMW as a replacement.
    Perhaps BMW has worked out in the current economic climate, a 3 year change cycle is more realistic for a lot of people and a 3 year warranty from new will bring in more new sales and help retain customers like me, who are happy to switch brands.
    I guess anyone buying a used bike will want to be pretty assertive to ensure they get the remainder of the initial warranty (whether 2 or 3 years) plus additional years to ensure the bike has a warranty until the end of year 4. As long as BMW do this in the transition period then it makes little difference to used sales but is a big bonus for new bike buyers.

6. Stef

Stef Active Member

Minimum 1 year in Belgium. In some cases (premium selection, whatever that may be :) ) 3 year.

7. Martien

Martien Member

Premium Warranty from the dealers here in the Netherlands is for BMW bikes under 5 years old and less than 50k km on the clock, and will be for 2 years. Also 2 years warranty on new bikes here, standard European minimum by law on purchase of all consumer goods.

Lee likes this.
  8. fazerace

fazerace New Member

Who at Williams told you this ? I have been dealing with Dave at Williams re purchasing an rs it’s a late used bike but he did not have a first clue about the gearbox update on later rs models he had to email a spanner man to find out, hmm pinch of salt on this perhaps

9. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

I have seen elsewhere that the two year used warranty is being chopped.

10. Twistydevil

Twistydevil New Member

Do not know I tried to delay paying for the bike till February someone came over while Kieran was chatting & said to him BMW are changing The Warranty I thought I was getting 2 Years because it had low miles