No customization options are available.

Biking Books Good and Bad

Discussion in 'Off Topic Section' started by Andy Griffiths, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

The wider interest in bike racing - for which all races should thank Closer to the Edge and Guy Martin has spawned some a few books in recent times. However, the quality varies a lot. Guy Martin's are pretty interesting as he covers all sorts of subjects as opposed to himself and is a pretty talented engineer

I'm hoping that Michael Dunlop's should be a good read as he is a pretty candid guy
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Racer...038&sr=8-1&keywords=michael+dunlop+road+racer
    61jpPoZePAL._SX334_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

On the flip side, someone bought me Ian Hutchinson 'Miracle man' last year - now don't get me wrong as I think his determination in coming back from his 2010 crash is nothing short of incredible - but it's got to be the worst book I've read in a long time, and that's without the grammatical errors , of which there are quite a few:(
    51qryHhD0YL._AC_US218_.jpg

ray2 likes this.
  2. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

"These are the days that must happen to you" Dan Walsh. Motorcycle travelling. Would recommend.

Adventure motorcycling handbook. Chris Scott

Jupiters travels. Ted Simon

Most of the Sam Maniscom books.

The long way round. Charlie and Ewan

Andy Griffiths likes this.
  3. OW31

OW31 Member

Worlds fastest Indian is a good read.

4. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

This may sound daft, given that I haven't read either of these, but:

Lone Rider: The First British Woman to Motorcycle Around the World Hardcover – 6 Jul 2017
    by Elspeth Beard (Author)
    [​IMG]

I've bought this for my wife for Christmas. She's a rider too, and I think she'll enjoy it, and I plan to read it when she's done. It has very good reviews, I'm hoping it inspires my wife to try touring, as I've had no luck so far.

And:
    At the Altar of the Road Gods: Stories of motorcycles and other drugs Paperback – 28 Jul 2016
    by Boris Mihailovic (Author)
    [​IMG]

Boris' reviews of the R1200R and the R1200RS are absolutely brilliant, and when I learned he has published a couple of books, I was intrigued. I plan to read this one soon.

5. Ron L

Ron L New Member

Old print, but one my motorcycle favorites “Investment Biker”
    Into bicycling / read “Miles from Nowhere “ The ending is???

6. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

"Borderlands" by Derek Lundy. It's a look at America's borders from the seat of a KLR650 rather than a biking book, but it's a gripping and thoughtful read.

7. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

And another great choice, long out of print I suspect, is"Make Haste Slowly" by Michelle Duff. As Mike he was a works Yamaha rider and nearly won a world championship, suffered a terrible crash and subsequently went through a sex change to become his real self, Michelle. A great racing story and a fascinating human story.