No customization options are available.

Biggest practical Givi Topbox

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories' started by shanco, May 12, 2016.

1. shanco

shanco New Member

Hey guys!

I get my bike Saturday and have nailed down most of my accessories... Mudsling, Crash bars, power box, Still trying to figure out lights and tank bag.

Anyways I'm planning a couple 2+ week camping trips with passenger so need as much space as possible. Im thinking the Givi 47 mono lock is the best fit but would love to hear everyones thoughts.. I'm also going to make an additional plate so i can strap tent and sleeping bags beside the top box.

Thanks!

2. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I can't comment there really as I haven't even got my RS yet.

But what's a mudsling?

3. shanco

shanco New Member

Its a fender to keep the rear shock area clean.

4. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

Oh right that actually makes a lot of sense, should have figured it's a mudguard.

Always amazing the localised colloquialisms.

5. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

It is the "Brand name" for the product made by MachineArt Moto in the US. I have one. It is a really good bit of gear. It attaches with 1 "bolt" and 4 zip ties. Once in place, you don't see it unless you know what you are looking for.
    MachineArt Moto also make the "X-heads", which are the "plastic" and "rubber" cylinder head guards for the LC motor. Also a very good bit of gear.

SauRoN likes this.
  6. ryo

ryo New Member

This is the one I got. Revzilla maybe out of stock, but it is available elsewhere, or ask them when it will be. Their service has been superb. this box has worked great for me and I have had no space, wobble, etc problems. remember that you have to order the adapter plate also.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-v56nt-maxia-4-56l-top-case

don't know what happened to the URL it was copied from the page.

rusty

shanco likes this.
  7. shanco

shanco New Member

Awesome!! I was hoping i could get one a bit bigger then the 47l... this will be perfect! Thanks

8. iPaul

iPaul Active Member

The V47 looks good. The pictures on the Givi site show it with two full face helmets inside, so that's handily larger capacity than the BMW top box, which just takes one. I had an E55 on my previous bike which was a nicely made piece of kit, but I think would look too large on the 'RS. I guess you would really need to sit one on the rack of your RS to decide if you think the V47 looks too large or not for the bike.
    Good luck choosing.
    Paul

shanco likes this.
  9. iPaul

iPaul Active Member

Hi Rusty,
    Could you post a picture of it fitted to your 'RS please, so we can see how it looks fitted, particularly from the rear to show how wide it looks on the bike?

Did you fit the universal Givi mounting plate by bolting it to the existing RS rack, or some other mounting solution?

[edit: Just found this on the Givi site: http://www.givi.co.uk/my-motorcycle#BMW,R_1200_RS_(15)]
    I have the BMW top box, but wouldn't mind a bit of extra capacity for long tours, or for shorter tours where I could leave the panniers at home for stress free filtering/lane-splitting.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  10. ranette

ranette Active Member

Here's the V47 on mine. I've been very happy with it. It's mounted with the SRA-5117 specific to the RS.
    [​IMG]

iPaul and shanco like this.
  11. Bacaruda

Bacaruda Active Member Contributor

Picture of my RS with V47 case. Mounted on an 8mm aluplate designed by moi. :) This design will place the v47 22mm further back compared to Givis adapterplate and also quite a bit lower. The first 6 of the "serial" design are manufactured as we speak. Hope to collect them later today.

Attached Files:

iPaul, andybima and shanco like this.
  12. GuppyPilot

GuppyPilot New Member

One of the first things I did after buying my RS was transfer my E55 over from the old bike ('03 K1200RS). Although I had the same concerns about its appearance, but now that it's on, I think it looks fine.

Attached Files:

shanco likes this.
  13. Barnesyboy

Barnesyboy Active Member

That's big, i'm surprised it doesn't exceed the max load figure of the mount before you've actually got anything in it.

14. edtxw01

edtxw01 Active Member

15. GuppyPilot

GuppyPilot New Member

The published 6kg limitation seems awfully restrictive! IMHO, the adapter plate to BMW grid connection is superior to my old K1200RS's lanky system of arms connected to the frame, but it has the same restriction. My typical work commute load is: E55 empty weight -- 10 lbs; rolling overnight bag -- 11 to 12 lbs. I figure that like the speed limits on the highway, that limitation is just sort of a guideline... :)

16. lj516

lj516 Active Member

I've got the E55 on mine and it works brilliantly. It also matches the gray of the bike perfectly!

GuppyPilot likes this.
  17. ryo

ryo New Member

20160604_101010_resized.jpg
    sorry it took so long, I have had some medical issues

18. KKdumdum

KKdumdum New Member

This is so brilliant Bacaruda!
    My partner is suffering with the V47 being too closed to her back. Is there any chance to get one of these ? I'm thinking to get the SRA but I prefer your solution :)

19. Bacaruda

Bacaruda Active Member Contributor

Plates avaliable. But right now Im on a ferry heading for Assen motoGp + 2 week of touring UK with the RS and mrs Bacaruda. Will be back in business by 10th July. I'll get back to you by then.

20. KKdumdum

KKdumdum New Member

Hi Bacaruda, Thx for your reply, It could be a dream come true for my behalf. Hope you enjoyed the VR46 victory. Have a nice Holiday!
    I stay tuned!