No customization options are available.

BEST SPORT TOURING TIRE

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by James Kennedy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

You are slowly convincing me as well to give it a try.

I've been a Michelin Pilot Road die hard for so many years now and ultimately despise Dunlop along with Continental from having them on the car before.

But looking at the rather significant price difference I'm wondering if it's worth a try.

At 11,200 mi / 18,000 km on my Pilot Road 4's now it's starting to become dicey.

Looking at the front I could get away with just changing the rear and sticking with PR4.

But then for virtually the same money I could change both and try the Dunlops.

2. Bub

Bub Active Member

I've got 9k miles now on my RS3's and I'm sure I could get another 1k out of them, but already have the 24k mile service set up for Friday with new RS3's waiting. I've never gotten this kind of mileage out of tires and they aren't even all that squared off, which isn't easy riding in the mid western US. They're my favorite tires I've had so far on this bike between them, the Z8's and Roadtec 01's.

3. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member

Whoa. Tires/tyres aside, whatever you change, don't get rid of the wife.

(For whatever it's worth, I finally got comfortable and quiet on this bike, and I had an absolute blast going rim to rim over the last 7000 twisting miles and simply picked up another set of 01s after last weekend's trip to Wisconsin and anticipation of fall in the Ozarks.)

Bravo likes this.
  4. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

This is my thinking also. Just to give it a try to see if there is something to equal or better the PR4s for how I ride. The fact that they are cheaper means that if they are as good then they are a better value, and if they are better then it is a win-win-win situation all around. If it is not as good then I just go back to the PR4s.

The RS IIIs would have to be good in the mileage department though because I have more than 9000 miles on the front tire and there is lots of tread left. I also have about 8000 miles on the rear tire and that too has lots of tread left. Amazing.

5. Grumpy Goat

Another good report for the RS IIIs. Please let us know what you end up getting out of them at the change, Doubt if they'd beat my PR4s and we probably ride similarly, but at this level and with the supposedly good roadholding performance and cheaper price they certainly appear to be a viable alternative.

Your RS is a little ahead of mine on the odometer ... I'm a bit over 21k miles. :)

6. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

As I'm riding 2 bikes, it will take me quite some time to accumulate such numbers. The fact that my 2015 R1200RS gets swapped for a 2017 R1200RS doesn't really help getting those numbers up... did have almost 65.000 miles on my previous 2001 R1150RS. That bike never saw Dunlops, I had Michelin PR 2, 3 and 4 on that bike. Liked the 3 better than the 2 and 4. Never got a chance to compare the Dunlops to the Michelins because before the Road Smart 3, the Dunlops were known for their wear and tear, jeezz, those pre RS 3 Dunlop tires wear off whilst the bike sits in the garage! (According to witness reports).
    The only one-on-one comparison I have with the PR 4 against the RS 3, was on my R1200RT. I squeezed 10.000 miles out of the PR 4 on the RT, but given the crap handling during the last 1.000 miles, I should have swapped them earlier.

The PR 4 do an OK job on the R1200ST, though I can't say much of how many miles come out of the PR 4's on the ST as the ST is swapped for a (shared with my wife) R1200RS next Friday. Learned from friends who recently put Z 01's on their ST's, coming from PR 4, they experienced their bikes to have better/easier handling characters after the swap. They payed a reasonable price for the Z 01's, pretty close to what I paid for my RS 3's.

To cut a long story short: should Michelin produce a tire that has the handling ease of the Road Smart 3, but outsmart the Dunlops by wear and tear, I might consider going back to Michelin. These future Michelins will be something like the Pr 5 or even 6....

The PR 4 is not likely to be fit on my (OK, "our", darn I have to get used to our shrunken fleet size) RS, by definition it won't ever be fitted on my RT.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. Jeroen1969

Out of all the stupid things I could do, trading in my wife is by far the most stupid thing! I sincerely hope I'll keep my wits and manage to withstand the MLC temptations..
    (Do I need to elaborate here what "MLC" stands for? For some silly reason, I get the feeling the answer to that question is a sound "No", I wonder where that feeling comes from...)

8. TexasJock

TexasJock Member

I have just done 5000 miles on the original PR4 tires. Rear is down to the wear limits due to all the straight roads in Texas. Front looks nearly new. I do accelerate very hard and make full use of the downshift blipper so maybe that helps shred the rear.

I may try the Dunflops this time but would buy a new front aswell which may seem wasteful.

Tire pressures: 34 front and 40 rear on road. I did 2 track days and ran 30/30 and it was perfect.

9. Grumpy Goat

Funnily enough the first think that came to mind for me was "Maritime Labour Convention" ... guess I should get back to work and ignore my midlife crisis. :)

10. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Here is the mileage information on the 6 sets I have used on the bike so far. Dunlop has handled the best so installed another set today.

TIRES - MILEAGE WHEN INSTALLED, BRAND, MODEL, (MILEAGE WHEN REMOVED)
    0000 miles - Metzeler Roadtec Z8 (7735)
    7735 miles - Metzeler Roadtec 01 (3990) (a)
    11725 miles - Michelin PR4 GT (11,063)
    22788 miles - Michelin PR4 GT (6302)
    29090 miles - Michelin PR4 GT (7879)
    36969 miles - Dunlop Roadsmart III (8357)
    45326 miles - Dunlop Roadsmart III
    (a) tires removed before trip, could reinstall

11. Jeroen1969

That's an impressive amount of miles done!

12. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member

And, he's not including miles put in on his GS and other bikes in the stable.
    And, he lives in Minnesota - a tough place to put in 365 days of riding.
    And, he's nearing his 8th decade.
    And, it's not clear he's even been rained on this year, which suggests to me he communicates personally with the gods of motorcycling. (Or, like a lot of Minnesota farm boys, he's capable of weather prediction and rational behavior.)

(Count me among those who are training hard and counting their pennies and days to retirement, so we can follow his good example. Step one - my wife is already OK with - if not encouraging - prolonged absences from the house....)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017 at 12:00 AM
    Olgry1 and darrell like this.