No customization options are available.

BEST SPORT TOURING TIRE

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by James Kennedy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Ooooo you young rascal (stands on box and ruffles your hair):)

stuart2820 likes this.
  2. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

3. James Kennedy

Could be our bike. Everything I've tried up front, with the exception of Dunlops Roadsmart 3, has developed a lot of cupping and severe feathering. Actually theZ8 faired pretty well with just some cupping.
    Going to give theAngel GT a try. Went through 2 sets of the Roadtec 01. Really bad feathering (the sharks teeth) up front on both sets. They really held the road but the wear sucked up front and I didn't like the handling.

4. James Kennedy

That's impressive. I haven't got 10,000 miles out of anything. From the way it looks like you ride you will love the Roadsmart 3. Handling is superb. They hold the road pretty well but don't like tar snakes. Then again, what tire does? I've put 7,000 miles on mine and haven't hit any rain yet so no report there. Best mileage and wear of any tire I've had on my RS. NOT MUCH LIFE LEFT on my rear. The tire is fine except for the center. Getting close to the wear bar in the middle. Did a 3,000 mile ride with way too much riding in a straight line. At 80 to 90 mph in 95 to 98 degree heat. The desert will do that.

Vtbob likes this.
  5. James Kennedy

Can I get an update on your Angels. I have a set in my garage I'm getting ready to mount. Just finished up with a set of the Roadsmart 3's. They were very impressive but just wanted to try the Angel.

6. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Chat about how many miles you get from a tyre is interesting. There's different styles of riding and different types of road. I've just picked up my bike from it's 12k service. All is good, the valve clearances were in spec and they've fitted a new final drive complete as the old centre spool was corroded exactly half way though. They phoned me while it was in to say 'shall we fit a new set of tyres as yours are ready for change?'. I do my own thing, buy them loose and get someone local to fit to the wheel I remove so I said no thanks (I don't blame them for trying). I'll fit a new rear next pay day as it's down to 1mm 2/3 the distance out from the centre, my usual wear pattern. The front is 2mm. The centre 1/3 of the tyre has plenty of tread.
    Amongst the folk I sometimes ride with I'm known for a smooth riding style. Roads here are generally quiet and bend generally follows bend and straights are usually short if they exist at all. I wouldn't change this. So I see no sense in grabbing a handful of throttle followed by a handful of brake but prefer to use my right wrist and the gearbox. Hence my tyre wear pattern. Some folk ride different roads where they wear the centre of the tread more, others are much more aggressive with throttle and brakes. They generally get less mileage out of their tyres and brake pads in my experience. I'm not saying I'm right and they are wrong but I am quite quick and I'm happy with my way :)
    So I got 6,500 miles from my Metzeler Roadtec 01 rear and that is good. It's in good shape too. The Michelin PR4s gave me 5,500 and both front and rear were a mess, cupped and battle scarred. The Roadtecs feel better to me too in both wet and dry and I've not had a serious slide with them. The PR4's felt 'greasy' by comparison. Here in the wet North West of the UK the Roadtec 01 is a good tyre for me.

Leon.P. likes this.
  7. James Kennedy

Sorry but they will. Dunlops Roadsmart 3 has done the best so far on that all day hot slab. Got some flattening on mine but it much less than any of the other tires I tried. That was after a 3,000 mile ride with a lot of heat and way too much straightaway. Previous tires, roadtec 01 & Z8.

ray2 likes this.
  8. James Kennedy

Nice review. Just had my 24,000 service done and all valves were in spec. Sorry to hear about your drive issue though.
    Although I didn't care for the handling of Metzelers 01 I do have to concur with your review of their traction. I also found them quite condidence inspiring in both wet & dry. Even had them in snowy/slush. Just a bulletproof tire for all conditions. I actually liked the feel of their Z8 much better.
    Sounds like you've got some great roads.....I on the other have way too many straights between the turns. With all of the RS's tourque & engine breaking I'm still on my original brake pads at 26,000 miles.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  9. Peter Burridge

Grumpy Goat, Leon.P. and Bravo like this.
  10. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Jim Evans, Richard230 and Bravo like this.
  11. Peter Burridge

I guess you've all seen this?

12. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Neevesy was my (brilliant) instructor at the Ron Haslam Race School earlier this year, and between sessions I chatted to him about this very tyre test, as one of his first questions to me was to ask what I ride. I told him was thinking about putting on the Roadsmart IIIs, whereupon he led me outside to the Fireblade SP I had been riding (at lap record pace*), and pointed out that those were the tyres fitted to that particular beast. I couldn't believe how good they were.

* In my mind

ray2 and Peter Burridge like this.
  13. Peter Burridge

As he said several times in the Test, they are all good tyres and they all have an grip a plenty. It just came down to 'character' or how they are perceived in the rider's head so not actually real as nothing in our heads is real after all.

I'd love to do a Ron Haslam day, so recommended then?

14. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I've done it FOUR times now, so yep! :D
    My wife has done it twice too, and also loves it, so we're planning on making it an annual pilgrimage.
    It's expensive, and some folks don't reckon it's worth the money, but in my experience these are people who are already riding very, very fast on track, and don't learn quite as much as us mere mortals. But for me personally, I think it's worth every penny. My Donington Park lap times have come down from a rubbish 2m22s to a much more respectable 1m56s over the four courses I've taken, so it's definitely working.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  15. Peter Burridge

I've done 2 Martin Hopp days at Cadwell but I feel the need for something more challenging. Thank you.

ray2 likes this.
  16. lacemi

lacemi Member

Mi next tire is DIABLO ROSSO III rear it is 100 % sílice and Angel in back.

17. lacemi

lacemi Member

Finally buy rear and front Rosso III the new tyre Pirelli.
    z8 vs ROSSO III
    2,4 bares front and 2.6 bares rear
    270€ two, rear and front.
    Increible in curve. The bike is more fast in change curve and curve, very cute tyre. I think is soft.
    IMG-20170911-WA0032.jpeg
    IMG-20170911-WA0034 (2).jpeg
    IMG-20170911-WA0026.jpeg

ray2 likes this.
  18. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

About little over a year ago, I approached the Tyre Changing point of my RT, meanwhile I approached the RS purchase point simultaneously. In a Dutch motor cycle magazine, the RoadTech Z01 scored first place, the Dunlop RS 3 scored 2nd. In the text, the editors recommended the RS 3 for all year round riders as this tyre performed best in the cold and wet.
    So, I ordered my RS with a set of RS 3 (what's in a name?). I had done my test ride on the demo/rental about a month before, did 480 km's in 2 and a half days. That bike stood on Z8 tyres. Felt a bit similar to the Michelin PR4 that were on my wifes R1200ST and on my R1200RT. As said multiple times: not a bad tire.
    But when I picked up my RS on those RS 3 tires, it felt like entering Heaven. So ridiculously easy to put the bike in a turn, so absurdly precise. I was so damned pleased with them, I decided to put them on the RT as well. Now, I was at a point to let go of the RT because following knee surgery, the bike felt just a little too heavy and hard to handle during manual manoeuvring. In fact, I actually put it on sale. Then my wife and a fellow Dutch Motor forum member intervened, told me I would regret the sale. I listened to them and removed the RT from sale. Put RS 3 tires on them and my RT transformed in to a bike that still weighs some 270 kg's with both panniers and top box fitted, Corbin saddle (not the lightest out there) and the crash bars), but is so much easier to deal with when moved by man power. As for thr riding: a breath taking transformation for me. The absolute perfect balance between Sports and Touring for me.
    This year in the tyre test of the same magazine, the RS 3 ended at 5th place... yet, I asked my dealer to put RS 3 tyres on the Grey/White/Red Frame RS that I will pick up next Friday (2015 Lupin Blue allready left behind at the dealer, different story).
    As some people say: "Never change a winning team!". For me, the RS/RT and Road Smart 3 combination is a winner.
    And: "If it ain't broken: don't fix it!". Some 1.000 miles to go and then the RT is up for a tyre swap. Guess what I'll have put on her?

ray2 and Richard230 like this.
  19. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Very positive review of the Dunlop Roadsmart III - thanks.

I guess they have not yet worn out so you can't comment personally on how many miles you got out of them ...? What about riding in the rain and also war up times?

I am seriously looking at these when next tire change comes, not because I am dissatisfied with my PR4s but because unless one tries tires themselves one cannot know how they will perform for them and the way they ride.

20. Jeroen1969

Jeroen1969 Well-Known Member

I squeezed some 7.500 miles out of the set that's on the Lupin. Guess could have squeezed some 2.500 miles more out of them easily. The RT did fewer miles since the RS is my preferred bike, did 5.000 miles on that set.
    The main reason I fell for these tires is exactly that: warm up time. As in: irrelevant. Can't say the handling our grip changes very much as the tire warms up.
    Grip in the wet: great! In the cold: dito! On Diesel spots on the tarmac? Crap.. but heck, tell me what bike does gave grip there..

On snow: sufficient. Better than the grip of my Alpin Star boots, proven in practice (as in: the bike did exactly what I wanted it to do when I drove her on the snow covered driveway, where I fell flat on my back after doing two steps as soon as I got off the bike).
    Pricewise I got the RS 3 cheaper than I would have gotten the Road Tech 01 (about $85 cheaper). I got a set, mounted and balanced, for $418,- including labor and tax.

ray2 likes this.