No customization options are available.

BEST SPORT TOURING TIRE

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by James Kennedy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

Nice! Which circuit will you be riding at?

2. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

Bishopscourt. Track days don't come up there on a regular basis so thought I'd give it a go. £49 for the day plus tyres of course! :eek:

Scorch likes this.
  3. vat

vat Active Member

Just had a set of PR4's fitted today, nothing like a new pair of sneaker's (sport shoe's for you Brit's).

Bravo likes this.
  4. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

daps, darling, daps is the word you are looking for

Bravo likes this.
  5. Rocky R

Rocky R Active Member

I guess everyone has their "wants" in a sport touring tire. I don't like the new Metzeler 01s. The profile is too flat and round, and sypes aren't great for dry riding grip on hard cornering. The rounder, flatter shape is more neutral, but also means less rubber on the ground when leaned over. For those wanting 10,000 miles out of a tire, I suppose if distance is your priority in a tire, it may be okay. I prefer handling under hard acceleration and braking, safety, and a confidence-inspiring ride. The Z8s, which I didn't want to like, give me all of that. I understand many ride in wet conditions, which I prefer not to by choice. But in the dry, the PR4s and 01s are too much of a compromise in my opinion.

James Kennedy and Andy Griffiths like this.
  6. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

I was very impressed with the Metzeler Z8. 12500 Klms later I went for the Michelin PR4. The rear has done 8000 Klms and its just about done. Very disappointed .I am about to try the Metzeler 01.

Andy Griffiths likes this.
  7. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I've just fitted the Roadsmart IIIs this morning.
    My Z8s got 8,350 miles (but were completely destroyed)
    My PR4s got 8,550 miles (and the tyre guy said they had enough rubber for probably another 400 - 500 miles)

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Roadsmarts do, especially on my upcoming tour.

8. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Scorch, you and Ian Hutchinson have something in common. He's just switched from Pirelli ( Metzeler) which is the control tyre for BSB Superstock to Dunlops for the upcoming road races .
    https://twitter.com/tweethutchy/status/859328728308101121

Scorch likes this.
  9. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I taught Ian everything he knows...

Bravo likes this.
  10. Andy Griffiths

Right foot gear change and thumb braking included:rolleyes:

Scorch likes this.
  11. Bob Reynolds

Bob Reynolds New Member

Tire life is related to riding style, terrain, tire design, road composition and inflation pressure. Very difficult to compare longevity between riders. I spend most of my time in the mountains and destroyed a set or PR4s in 4000 miles.
    Many of the roads have a high granite content which is great for grip but not for tire wear. The tire is designed to give good wear to most riders.
    I think they went quickly because the bike was mostly stationed in the mountains and you are either fairly on or off the gas most of the time the majority of gentle consistent throttle occurs when you are on the side of the tire. The tendency of a tire or acceleration deceleration force to want to go significantly faster or slower than the current speed is what tends to wear tires more quickly. I run 38/40 the 40 seems to cutdown the rear kick back on nasty bumps compared to more pressure as I run the suspension fairly stiff. I do keep a close eye on tire pressure. I will say my front PR4 looked about 30% when the rear was shot, but i just change them in pairs to maximize the new shoes experience.
    I liked them very much, quick warm up smooth ride forgiving, and absolutely suburb in the wet. I will say they are not the most attractive tire, but what the heck.
    Since I am getting rotten miles I was going to try the Michelin Power 3 which is the best sporty tire I have used. I was about to try them on the RS figuring they might not do much worse but a buddy suggested I try the Bridgestones for way less money. I have been running the Bridgestone BT 016 pros at less than half the cost of the Michelins $130 net for the pair after the $50 rebates they run from time to time. Last about 3500. No idea what they might do
    for you guys that get 9-10k out of the Metzlers and PR4s, a good bit less I suspect. The bridgestones warm up immediately steer very neutral, feel a little better than the PR4 particularly when you set the bike on her ear and are a high silica tire so they are quite good in the rain but the michelins are at a new level when it comes to wet roads, its where the funky tread pattern shines. Bottom line they are both good tires. If they cost the exact same I might still go with the Bridgestones, but maybe not if I had a long trip on less demanding roads as I would hope to get more miles from the PR4. I also would pick the Michelins if I knew I would ride in lots of rain

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  12. terry lees

terry lees Active Member

Good writeup, explains well why I get poor mileage out of mine. Nearly all of my riding is on similar roads and conditions.

13. lacemi

lacemi Member

I am racing pilot, for sport touring I prefer Z8. For me z8 is better that 01. Metzeler 01 for me does not transmit me enough, its casing should not have the shape of mushroom that I like so much in the z8, or maybe because of the type of asphalt and temperature in my area.
    Michelin is garbage.

Z8 for RS is more cheaper than z8 RT because RT is more heavy and need other code of tire.

14. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

Just got these fitted this afternoon: Michelin Power RS
    I've a couple of track days booked, one of which requires turning up on aforementioned tyres.
    I was hoping to hold off getting them till after my trip to Killarney later this month but my rear z8 has had it.
    The guy that fits them is good for advice, says I should be fine, reckons they're good for 3000 miles :eek:
    Rain came on as I was leaving so just headed for home (no dramas). Besides, I felt the need to go and lie down after paying for them :confused:

Attached Files:

Scorch likes this.
  15. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

Another vote for the Roadtec 01's. Couldn't be happier, I prefer them to PR4's and will look to replace these with the same.

lacemi likes this.
  16. Scorch

Scorch Well-Known Member

I had my Roadsmarts on for about 1,000 miles before my tour, and then did about 2,500 while on tour, and they've been fantastic. Absolutely no dramas at all, they still look like new, and they gave me the confidence to really get stuck in on the fantastic roads we got to experience. This resulted in my coming back with only about 1mm of chicken strip on the left-hand side of the tyre, and about 3mm on the right-hand side.

Very impressed!
    Now the final test will be to see if they beat the longevity of the Metzelers and PR4s I had on there before.

17. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

Can't agree more. Wasn't happy that my bike came with the Z8 but its been the most impressive so far. Wasn't happy with the uneven wear up front so the experimenting started for the perfect tire. On the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 now. Best wearing tire I've yet to put on the RS. Superb handling and feel but maybe just a tad loose. Not bad. I have a set of Angel GT's in the garage I'm getting ready to mount.

18. Andy Griffiths

That's a pretty sporty tyre there, but I think if you look in the Michelin tyre guides, the Power RS is only recommended ......
    for Lupin blue RS :)

stuart2820 likes this.
  19. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I think that the Roadtec 01s on the PR4s are in a different ballpark. As I said in a separate thread the PR4s ripped up pretty bad. I changed mine front and rear close to the wear bars at 5,500 miles. The 01s that replaced them have been very different. I love them wet and dry. I've just got back from 8 days in Scotland where we covered the North Coast 500 route and it was wet every day, proper Scottish summer. The 01s were never found wanting and the tread didn't suffer any of the cupping and deformation that I has on the Michelins. For me they were too 'sipey' and perhaps too soft.

I realised part way round that I was going to to exceed my 12k service interval by a wee bit so the 01s have done over 6k and for me that never happens:eek:

This may be because a lot of my recent mileage has been advanced rider road coaching at the legal limit and being fairly 'measured' in the twisty bits.

I'll get some photos and a ride report of Scotland up. It was my wife's 1st proper trip since passing her test last year at 59 yrs. It'll be her last too. I'll explain later :)

20. stuart2820

stuart2820 Active Member

I'm doing another track day tomorrow at Bishpscourt race track as it happens. I'll be sure to tape up my mirrors so as not to see those pesky Lupins behind me... :rolleyes: