No customization options are available.

BEST SPORT TOURING TIRE

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by James Kennedy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. James Kennedy

James Kennedy Active Member

OK. NOW that many of us are on our third, if not many more, sets of tires do we have a winner? What now is our concenous on the best Sport Touring tire for our bike?
    I liked my original Z8's but now on my second set of Roadtec 01s. Pretty happy with the Roadtec 01. Fairly neutral, very good grip, and descent mileage. Only complaint is the shark teeth that developes on the front tire. It's not actually cupping. Just a lot of hard edge development. Other than that a pretty bullet proof tire that hasn't let me down yet. And I've been on a lot of wet shitty roads.
    Getting about due for another set so looking for feedback on the latest greatest. Based on reviews it won't be the Michelin. I don't think their Pilot road 4 is as good as my Roadtec.
    Tires always at 36/42.

woolf and ray2 like this.
  2. edtxw01

edtxw01 Active Member

My bike came with PR4' s which have been excellent, they have lasted 9,600 miles. The front is badly cupped and at the very end of life, the rear is still in good shape with probably another 2,000 miles life left. The front cupping started before 5,000 miles which was disappointing. I've had PR3's and 4's on my previous K1300R and was delighted with them, I don't recall front tyre cupping to be as bad as on my RS!
    I was going to try the Metzeler 01's but I'm put off by reports of tyres noise and the tread pattern is similar to the PR4 and I wonder if it will cup or as described by James turn into shark teeth.
    I'm now considering the Dunlop Roadsmart 111's which in most of reviews I've read perform well.
    https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/tyre-review-dunlop-roadsmart-iii
    I'd be interested if anyone has experienced of them on the RS?

James Kennedy likes this.
  3. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

I had front tire cupping on the PR4's that came on my bike at 6k miles. I went to the dealer to change them out and I wanted the Metzlers but they were not in stock and I was not going to spend another day at the dealership. The service advisor recommended I inflate my tires to 10% over the BMW specs to alleviate future cupping. So 40 PSI front and 44 PSI rear. I've put 4K miles on the new set and all seems to be fine so far.

edtxw01 and James Kennedy like this.
  4. vat

vat Active Member

I ran PR4's on my F800 for many miles and never had a problem. but I did kept them inflated over BMW spec. Great tires getting ready to put on pair on the RS

5. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

FWIW my bike came with PR4s and I've been very happy with them. Each set so far has worn out at about 10,000 miles. The front tire wears out first for me, with no significant cupping. By wear out I mean to bald spots (yes I am cheap)..doing this the steering feel the last couple of thousand mile is not as good as the first. However I feel the road adhesion is not compromised in doing this. Also at this milage the rear tire is getting close to the wear bars. I have a new set of PR4s on now for the start of this year.
    I'm impressed by the tests of the new Dunlop Roadsmart III, so I will be trying them next

edtxw01 and ray2 like this.
  6. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

It's all subjective. We blame the tyres for everything from bad rider technique, poor suspension choice, overloading the luggage and poor road conditions.
    If we have a slip we blame the tyre. We don't go back and see there was a patch of gravel or diesel slick that caused the bike to move. Then, we have no confidence in those evil Pilot Dragon Attacks and anything that brand produced for the next decade.
    There aren't any really bad tyres nowadays. Just fucked up human psychology

7. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Very philosophical and probably correct. Have another pint for me - it's still a little early here in the states.

I recently read a lot of opinions and reviews of tires - one of the fun parts about buying new technology. Strikes me - we all try to discuss tires the way we did when the thought of a radial tire on a motorcycle was pure heresy and there were big differences between $25 tires and $110 tires. For years ('89-94) I only ran sport tires while touring on a K100RS (always fun to plan stops at dealerships around the country for oil and tires), and was one of the earlier folks to trust a low profile front tire. Of course, we were also constantly fiddling with suspension set-up, rear wheel position, and all the other things that the magic of electronics now allows us to do on the fly or while standing at a stop sign.

I noted in another thread that even the sport bike fora carry comments about how well the sport touring tires work for guys (and gals) whose masculinity is judged by abuse of the tires.

For what it's worth, I'm now on the Roadtec 01s - standard front/heavy rear, as recommended by Metzler. I know the pros claim to feel a difference on brief, same day testing among new/non-scrubbed tires without a load, but other than a vague sense (marketing-induced?) that these tires need no warm-up and handle the snowy-wet stuff as well as any new tire I've owned, I can't comment. The test for me will not come on the track, but after some miles of hot Kansas slab - the marketing suggests they aren't going to flatten out like the PR-4s I just replaced.

Jim Evans and James Kennedy like this.
  8. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Evil Pilot Dragon Attacks? Thanks for the tip..Will steer well clear o them fuckers.

Jim Evans and Leon.P. like this.
  9. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

My problem is that new tire models (along with their higher prices) arrive on the market faster than I can use the old ones up. I always seem to be a tire generation behind the rest of the market. I just don't have enough time to wear out the latest tires while owning and riding 6 motorcycles. It is a tough job I tell you and one that I just can't seem to keep up with. ;)

Jeroen1969, Jim Evans, Vtbob and 2 others like this.
  10. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Well we understand it is a rough job but we are sure you are up to it!!

ray2 likes this.
  11. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Hehe ... what I want to know is what oil is the best ... ;) ;) ;)

lars Ormvold, Jim Evans and ray2 like this.
  12. duerrs

duerrs Member

I've got 6000 miles on the stock PR4's. I run 42psi rear and 38 front. Front looks VERY good...no cupping with significant tread remaining. Rear is wearing even, however, the center is at the wear indicator due to almost 3000 miles of interstate last summer.

I'm replacing this spring with the Pirelli Angel GT's. Anyone have experience or opinions on these? I'm looking for better mileage without giving up handling....especially cornering. I'm not too concerned about wet weather.

Thanks!

James Kennedy likes this.
  13. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

if you didn't spend so much time slacking off, writing bollocks on the internet, then you might be more efficient

14. ray2

Wait just a minute..., I represent that remark.

Bravo likes this.
  15. James Kennedy

The Roadtec 01 seems to be a pretty solid tire except for the shark tooth wear on the front. My bike came with the Z8's and had some cupping on the front at 5,000 miles but it wasn't very noticeable. This is my second set of the 01s and I'm wondering what's causing this. Pretty similar to what happens to the road 4.

ray2 likes this.
  16. James Kennedy

That Pirelli is another tire I'm looking at.

17. fischetg

fischetg Active Member

FWIW, the service advisor at the BMW dealership said to 1. inflate to 10% above BMW specs and, 2. start noticing your habits riding. Front tire cupping is also due to a habit of quickly rather than gradual off-throttling. Off-throttling quickly puts a heavy transfer load onto the front tire which after numerous repetitions, contributes to front tire cupping.

mousejockey40 and ray2 like this.
  18. Charles

Charles Active Member

I am running the PR4 GT. Anyone else running these that have noticed a slight slip when coming out of corners. It may just be me but i have noticed the rear lets loose for just a split second with hard throttle.

ray2 likes this.
  19. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Lots of mentions of cupping for the front tire. My first PR4 front tire also exhibited some cupping after a 1500 mile trip at 4000 miles on some rip-rap freeway - rough on tires when cruising at 75 mph average,and hard on the tires. I noticed no change in tire performance of this tire which ended up giving me over 11,000 miles when changed last summer. So I have no issues with cupping as long as handling is not compromised - for me it is a non-issue, let it cup ...

Jim Evans likes this.
  20. ray2

I'll note that if you have ASC/DTC in ride or dynamic mode, it's supposed to do this when we're a little aggressive. (Dynamic mode will also allow some brief wheelies out of turns.) We tend to forget that with ASC/DTC deactivated, this bike has the power to overcome any rear tire on the market.

upload_2017-3-18_12-45-33.png
    upload_2017-3-18_12-45-52.png

Drilis, Charles and Jim Evans like this.