No customization options are available.

Best slip-on exhaust

Discussion in 'General R1200RS Discussions' started by Argus, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Argus

Argus Member

So, to help those of us who haven't yet spent our hard-earned pennies ....

What is the BEST slip-0n and why?

mousejockey40 likes this.
  2. Andy Griffiths

Andy Griffiths Well-Known Member

Ahem... let me introduce you to the search function ;)

mousejockey40 and SoCal RS like this.
  3. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Royal Enfield motorcycle owners believe that the best slip-on exhaust is a $25 H-D Sportster eBay-special muffler. o_O Apparently there are about a million of these things gathering dust in H-D owner's garages and they all look brand new. :rolleyes:

buelligan likes this.
  4. mousejockey40

mousejockey40 Active Member

In my view they are all much of a muchness these days. especially for bikes such as the RS..
    You arent going to gain more than couple of horses and a few Nm of torque even with a re-map (which isn't required unless you replace the headers and remove the O2 sensors) So the stock pipe although biggish and euro compliant is as good as is required.
    It all comes down to 3 things IMHO
    1, sound
    2, cost
    3, looks
    In any order you like..
    Enjoy spending your hard earned cash :)

Leon.P. and Barbelson like this.
  5. Leon.P.

Leon.P. Well-Known Member

Its hard to compare unless you have 2 1200RS with 2 different Slip- ons at the same time and you get a chance to listen to them side by side.
    I did just that with 3 Yamaha's 1300 A. 1 Had Staintune Slip on. 2 Had GPR. 3 Remus Carbon Slip on. The winner was the Remus. It had the deepest best sounding exhaust out of the 3 bikes side by side. The Remus is smaller. Better shape compared to the Akrapovic and its cheaper. Its all in the eyes of the beholder and it is your money Argus and No, I don't work for Remus. The Australian Distributor promised a Tee shirt as I have purchased 3 sets but I have gone blue in the face waiting for mine. He must have send it to someone else by mistake. LOL:):):)

Richard230 likes this.
  6. Buba

Buba New Member

Which bike? They are quite different for EU3 and EU4 models...

7. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Yep..it's always been Remus for me in respect of sound and looks :)

8. Boxerboy55

Boxerboy55 Well-Known Member

If we're voting, then Akra for me. With Baffle in the OUT position :)

9. TassieRob

TassieRob Active Member

That makes two of us :D as that's what i have on mine. Music to behold ;)

10. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

Personally, I prefer quiet, chrome-plated mufflers. ;)

buelligan and Jim Evans like this.
  11. Leon.P.

Oh Richard you are so so bland.:):) . I have been passed by motor bikes (whilst I'm in my car) with standard exhausts and being a rider I have missed them.So if I can miss them so will those who don't ride nor give a damn.So Make Some Noise!!!

12. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

Oh no, not that "loud pipes save lives" shit again. Save it for the Harley forums, please.

Brimstone Mahone likes this.
  13. Phillo

Phillo Active Member

Yes once it has been sprayed with heat resistant Matt black :)

14. Barbelson

Barbelson Active Member

It’s interesting to learn that until 1996 the bagpipes were classified as a weapon of war. This does not simply mean an instrument played in battle, or a tool used to direct troops, it actually means a physical weapon, like a sword or a musket.
    Did they save lives? Perhaps not, but they certainly raised the moral of the troops!

15. Hoser

Hoser Active Member

For what it is worth, I prefer to hear the wind and the engine humming along instead of a harsh or raspy tailpipe.
    I replaced the headers with the Akra Ti system and felt an increase in low end torque as well as better top end acceleration. No cat and no flapper valve and it looks stock except for the blue tint that matches the best looking Lupine blue fairings.
    I have kept the stock muffler, the most expensive and most efficient one of them, and do not worry about leaving the neighborhood on an early ride and waking up the neighbors. It also will never need repacking.
    I have done a number of upgrades to improve the lighting, horn, and suspension, but just replacing the tailpipe for a louder one has never been on my list.
    Now, if Staintune made a can that was tuned more to the musical side and not just harsh and loud, I might reconsider my choice. The full system I had on my R1200ST was not too loud but brought out the best sound.

buelligan likes this.
  16. Leon.P.

Jim. We have gone from Remus and Akra slip-ons to straight out pipes on Harley's which annoy the crap out of me too. I enjoy a note on my bike with out waking up the whole neighbourhood. Each to their own.

Jim Evans likes this.
  17. PeTe T

PeTe T Active Member

Oooh Aaaah...new Remus 8 for RS and R....
    https://www.remus.eu/news/cat/motorrad-en/post/BIKE-INFO-27-17-E/
    I think this was previously only available for the high-mount GS. My preference is still with the slimmer Hexacone but some might like this for uniqueness, like two hex shapes moulded together.
    bmw-r1200-remus_8.jpg

For Aus: looks like the Australian Remus web site is finally up and running. It shows all options for the EU4 version of RS/R are available but - without saying anything specific - appears to indicate that mufflers with the removable baffle are not street legal (not homologated). Hexacone (available with or without removable baffle, same price) in S/S, Black S/S, Titanium or Carbon, AU$1244 - $1373, and the "8" pictured above (baffle not removable) in S/S or Black S/S, AU$1357 - $1405. Also available is the stainless header AU$961 although it too is not homologated for street use.
    http://www.remussportexhaust.com.au/motorcycle.html

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  18. Brimstone Mahone

Brimstone Mahone Active Member

FWIW, most "performance muffler upgrades" aren't performance upgrades as far as the engine is concerned. Certainly, if someone prefers a different sound/look, that's reason enough but there are plenty of OBJECTIVE dyno tests around (not those published by the muffler maker - they are trying to SELL something) that show there is no performance increase at all by replacing a stock muffler in new condition with a "performance muffler." Admittedly, one can argue that if an aftermarket muffler is much lighter in weight, that IS a performance advantage. That's true as long as the muffler isn't actually reducing engine power... ;)

As an example, a few years back we did dyno tests on some popular brand straight-through mufflers and pipes for HDs and they almost universally reduced power while increasing the dB rating to head-banger levels. For those that subscribe to the "louder is faster" philosophy, they were perfect!

19. SauRoN

SauRoN Well-Known Member

I have no doubt the Akrapovic is probably the best in performance (with standard fuelling) as well as looks.

However at the price I simply can't justify it to myself.

Next best for me on the looks/price ratio are the Leo Vince options, but I'll probably only get to it by December/January.

20. M.M.

M.M. Member

I´m a Slovenian so I have to go with Akrapovic :D. Also in my opinion if you are looking to change the pipe with the sport slip-on, it´s pointless to look to much how expensive it is.
    The difference between manufactures is I think maximum 200 €. So if I buy something from my prize possession, I can live with something that is somewhat more expensive, but offers superior quality and looks, not to mention better and deeper sound.
    http://www.akrapovic-shop.de/akrapovicauspuff0/bmw00/r-1200-rs/slip-on-line.html
    https://www.remus.eu//motorcycle.html?vehicleId=2-101-1592-2297
    http://www.motosport.com/leo-vince-factory-s-slipon-exhaust?mmy=bmw;r1200rs;2015&mmy_source=pdp