No customization options are available.

Ben Russo, Northern VA, Near Dulles Airport.

Discussion in 'USA Southeast Riders' started by Ben Russo, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

Attached Files:

2. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member Contributor

Mr. Russo, Esq.,
    Have you ever frequented the Dogfish Head Alehouse in your area?

3. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

Yes, but not in a few years. Around here you can get DogFish Head bottles in the grocery stores now.
    I *love* the 60 minute IPA.

4. Caveman

Caveman Well-Known Member

The 90 minute floated my boat, and bladder, more.

bty, you just gave your coordinates to a bunch of crazed Aussies :)

5. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Not really crazed. No so much anyhow.

Caveman likes this.
  6. Slipstream

I love the DFH Burton Baton. That stuff is liquid crack.

7. Peter Burridge

Peter Burridge Well-Known Member Contributor

I had a couple of bottles of Goose Island IPA and Honkers bitter last week. Impressed. There was I time when I wouldn't touch American beer and I consider Bud and Miller suitable for washing through bilges only but there's some fine US ales circulating our shores. Shipyard is a fine drop too.

8. Caveman

Peter, if you only got Miller and Bud until now, then you never had the opportunity to truly taste the beers the US has to offer. It's great you are getting some Goose and Shipyard, and though they are good, that's just scratching the surface. They're rather plain relative to some of the brews out there. The US is putting out some great beer. I'd put it up against anything. I've about three breweries local to me that are making a splash in the NY Metro region. Getting them fresh at the source is unbeatable. I hope you get some of the better brands. And shipped in a fashion that you can get them somewhat fresh.

Slipstream and Peter Burridge like this.
  9. Peter Burridge

We're lucky to have many fine beers. We both love Belgium beer and we spent a few days in Bruges in the summer. Locally we have Hawkshead who make a damn fine IPA and Pale ale. Beer is looking up everywhere. If I end up looking up I've had too many :)

Slipstream likes this.
  10. Caveman

Funny, I got sick of the Belgium beers about ten years ago. I can't stomach the nature of the yeast. I'm an IPA guy or a hoppy red.
    It is a good time for beer indeed. The fear is the consolidation of the large mass producers, who's sales are suffering, will put them into full acquisition mode and result in numerous small craft breweries being gobbled up. This killed more than a few good beers in the US. What we don't need is Inbev and SABMiller owning everything. Not unless we like beer made out of corn and rice.

Peter Burridge likes this.
  11. Peter Burridge

You're spot on. It's been the same story here.

12. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

There is an English bottled beer sold here "at selected locations" which is actually quite good. I gave few bottles to my father-in-law and he did not appreciate them, so I ended up drinking them at his place.
    His lack of appreciation did not stem from the beer, it was the name of the beer......"Old Fart".
    This is not a joke, by the way. It does exist and it is fine. Perfectly suitable for BMW riders and the BMWMCCVIC, of which I am a member.

Caveman likes this.
  13. Ben Russo

Ben Russo Active Member

For pricing reasons, my old standby is Sierra Nevada IPA. In the hot days of summer, when I might drink more than four, the Sierra Nevada Nooner Session IPA is a good low ABV (4.8%) drink.
    My favorites depend on the food and weather. With bold spicy foods, I like Stone Brewery's Ruination, but with milder and subtle flavored foods I like DFH 60 minute.
    With a desert a Belgian Ale is good, if the desert is dark and complex, a double Belgian is good. Ommegang makes good Belgian's and the name is easy to pronounce for neanderthals and gorillas.
    Some days I am in the mood for a good bitter. I like Elyssian ESB, and RedHook ESB is good if it is fresh.

Slipstream likes this.
  14. Slipstream

Great choices, Benjamin. My "go to" is Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA. Big fan of most of Stone's offerings, especially 'Arrogant Bastard'. Founder's puts out superb beers, as do Southern Tier and Trøegs. If you can get Cigar City up there in the DC area, grab it. La Chouffe from Belgium is world class. Fantastic stuff.

Can you get Fat Heads?

Lee likes this.
  15. Kevin Neustadt

Kevin Neustadt Member Contributor

As long as we're heading down the rabbit hole; Lagunitas IPA and Lagunitas Lil Sumpin. mmmmmmmmm good.

Slipstream and Lee like this.
  16. Peter Burridge

I'm presently cooking Cullen Skink with a very nice Lagunitas IPA. Thumbs up. Citrus!

Slipstream and Kevin Neustadt like this.
  17. Caveman

Clown shoes has a new Imperial Red IPA out. Yum!

Slipstream likes this.
  18. Charles

Charles Active Member

I'm down in Spotsylvania and drive up to Fairfax for work each day. There is some good twisty road going the back way.