No customization options are available.

Battery tender

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by alain bruneau, Sep 25, 2017.

1. alain bruneau

alain bruneau Active Member

Mine doesn't act like this. The DRL lights are off. With your F700GS, were the DRL on ? Is it the the Optimate 4 dual that you have ?

2. Martien

Martien Member

A Dual indeed, but the F700 didn't have a DRL so cannot compare to that one. Will double check the manual tomorrow and ask the dealer, maybe I overlooked something...

Also replied in this thread: http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/charging-and-the-running-light-comes-on.4578/#post-72097 hopefully we'll find an answer ;)

3. alain bruneau

alain bruneau Active Member

Are you in Can Bus mode. There is two mode as for Dual ? To my opinion, you probably have a defective charger. They are warranty
    for 3 or 4 years. I would bring it back to the dealer. I connected mine on the accessories plug and it runs properly. The 2 green lights on the charger are on and it does the reset every 30 minutes.

4. Jasper

Jasper Active Member

As Alain, says above I use the Optimate 4 with BMW Can Bus mode and have no problems with DRL light coming on. Very pleased with this charger and the maintenance mode which allows you to leave it connected for extended periods to keep the battery in top condition.

5. AZGeek

AZGeek Active Member

I use a NOCO G3500 battery tender on all of my bikes. I currently have an F800GT (CANBUS) that's been on a G3500 tender (when in the garage) for the past two years with zero issues. I also have one on my R9T Scrambler (CANBUS) which I have used in the same manner for the 5 months I've owned that bike. Again, zero issues. I have the battery tender connectors wired directly to the battery(ies) and do not recommend trying to charge through the CANBUS accessory power port.

https://no.co/g3500

6. littleade

littleade Member

I've got the optimate 4 as well and it's worked fine for nearly 2 years. I have mine connected via the supplied fused flying lead rather than via the aux socket and it works in exactly the same way. I use the flying lead as I have my roadhawk plugged into the socket on my GS, plus I also use the flying lead for my mini compressor for puncture repairs as I've heard that the canbus can switch the power to the compressor off due to excessive current drain. I've only used it once so far on a mates bike and it inflated the rear to the correct pressure without any problems, unlike the co2 cylinders which will only inflate your tyre sufficiently enough to get you to a garage where you then have to inflate it to the correct pressure.