No customization options are available.

battery help

Discussion in 'Servicing & Maintenance' started by GaryS, Sep 18, 2017.

1. GaryS

GaryS Member

2 years and 12,000 miles and about to put in a 3rd battery.

Yesterday, bike left me abandoned at Octoberfest (salt lake city) when it wouldn't start and voltimeter read 10.9 after sitting overnight in mid 40s. 2 hours of charging (thank you Snowbird hotel) and up to 12 and away we went.

Full charge overnight and only 12.3 . Enough to start, but now hesitant to rely on it.

No hint it was going except the day before it had a slight hesitation before starting on first push.

And this is already battery #2 ... #1 couldn't hold a charge after about 10 month of use and it was replaced under warranty.

Only other things attached are clearwater lights and a brake light modulator. Nothing else connected.
    Used at least 5 days a week.

so my questions are
    1) Common for BMW batteries to dies abruptly and have such a short lifespan?
    2) Is anyone running a non-OEM battery ?

thankfully will be taking it in for 12000 mi service next week, but still frustrated and a bit nervous to rely on this for long trips. Shouldn't have to worry about taking a battery jumper on every road trip.

2. boxter

boxter Active Member

Hi Gary,
    I had this same problem with an rs that I had, it took the dealer 3 go's at it before they found a faulty earth ground module that was slowly draining the battery, I had three batteries fitted and it was the same with each one, it dropped by . 4 volts each 24 hrs and would not attempt to start with the battery below, 10.5 volt.
    Press your dealer to check the system for a fault.

After the faulty part was changed it would stay charged for weeks

Ged

3. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Dealer needs to test it out a little more aggressively.
    I have a couple of threads posted elsewhere - the dealer's sales guys picked up on a more rapidly draining battery than expected, the shop guys got to work, and after some conversations with the mother ship in Germany, the offending computer board was switched out.

I also took out the spacer and went with a larger battery at 6000 miles. NO problems since.

4. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

I had a two BMW-brand batteries suddenly fail a few years ago. Both were replaced for free under BMW's 2-year battery warranty. Eventually I switched to a cheap Chinese Scorpion-brand battery as sold by Batterystuff.com. Never had a problem with those batteries so far.

5. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

fwiw I got my RS in May of 2015...still have the original battery. 27k miles. I do use a battery tender in the winter.

Sounds like Ray2 found the problem. I don't think it is the batteries.

6. GaryS

GaryS Member

thanks for replies gents.

I'm taking her in this week, so this gives me something to walk in with and hopefully give them a good direction.

Thank goodness for multiple bikes, though this am ride into work 40+ miles in the rain reminded me of why I preferred the RS for such rides contrasted with a naked triumph ... though it was refreshing and gave me a chance to try out a new jacket in the rain.

Daniel likes this.
  7. PaulBerg

PaulBerg New Member

Hi boxter,
    After 2 1/2 years of battery staying strong for as much as a month, I now have the dreaded drain also. Can you advise which "faulty earth ground module" it was and which dealer found it?

I would like to have a bit more information before I take it in to Vines.

Paul

8. runnerhiker

runnerhiker Well-Known Member Contributor

Three batteries going bad in a short time span sounds like a bike electrical problem to me. My only new piece of advice is to get an AntiGravity battery, one the size of a cel phone will start any bike. Much better than jumper cables because you don't need another vehicle.
    http://www.antigravitybatteries-uk.co.uk

darrell likes this.
  9. PaulBerg

PaulBerg New Member

I changed the battery and the drain stopped so it was a duff battery. I am monitoring the voltage and the charge voltage and will continue to do so regularly. That is probably the best option......

10. Aussie Import

Aussie Import Well-Known Member

Knock on wood, but my initial issue with my RS battery was its low charge, typically 11.9, prior to cranking it to life. It wouldn't start after a 3 week absence - the problem being then traced to the USB converter I had wired directly to the battery. I have since installed an isolater switch, and that fixed the drain issue via the USB.
    However, since the battery was discharged and charged, I am now getting 12.3 or so volts, prior to cranking to life, so it may have come good.
    ... Just wait... after sharing the good news, it will probably fail :rolleyes:

11. Tom Sheets

Tom Sheets New Member

Just had my battery suddenly lose it's charge after 2.5 years and 10K miles. Have ordered a non-OEM replacement, now I am wondering if perhaps it is not the battery. We will see what happens with the replacement, still have about six months under warranty (figured the battery may not be covered by the warranty or would be pro-rated at best).

12. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

most common reason for a battery not charging is a loose terminal - you have checked? Also, tried to charge the battery? Have you done a series of short journeys so not charging enough to compensate for starting? Any accessories fitted that will draw current when parked?

13. Richard230

Richard230 Well-Known Member Contributor

When I had two BMW batteries replaced by BMWNA under their 3-year U.S. motorcycle warranty 8 years ago, the battery was specifically mentioned in the warranty as being guaranteed for 24 months. My batteries were replaced without any prorating, even though one failed (on my 2007 R1200R) after exactly 24 months.

14. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

BMW usually warranties batteries (in the US at least) for 2 years. Even though it has been 2.5 years, if you have good relationship with your dealer I bet they would replace under warranty. It really gets down to your relationship with the service manager, owner or sales person and how much they appreciate you and your business. Never hurts to ask.

15. GaryS

GaryS Member

so far the software update seems to have worked.
    1 week down and still crossing fingers

Richard230 likes this.