No customization options are available.

Battery charger

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tech and Performance Chat' started by Adi, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Adi

Adi New Member

Greetings all.

Some advice please.

I will be in South Africa from next Saturday for around three weeks. I do not want the bike to stand without a trickle charger, or the like attached.

BMW have their own 'Float Charger' which retails at around £108.00, but there is also the Optimate 4 with a BMW connector included for some £30.00 less. Is the Optimate 4 a viable and safe alternative?

Many thanks.

Adrian

2. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Lidl have chargers on offer at £13.99 at the moment . They are really good pieces of kit as they regulate the charge and do all sorts of clever things (sense 6v/12v, discharged battery etc)

I've ran one for the last 2 years constantly on my 900ss - German quality - probably better than an optimate.

They are not canbus compatible so you can't plug them in to the 12v socket but you can attach a flying lead to the battery with no ill effects.

These will do all the basics for a fraction of the cost of a branded charger.

3. GordonH

4. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

In my most humble of opinions................installing Gordon's "flying lead" (side note - no wonder you folks needed us to win the war)
    https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ
    should be the owner's first accessory addition to a R1200RS. An accessory port which avoids the CANBUS system will be desirable in many instances.
    Relative to low price battery "trickle" (a "trickle" is a very small flow) chargers, I've been burned by units that didn't stop charging when the battery hit full-charge. In a pinch, I would use them but wouldn't trust them to be smart...

Phillo and ray2 like this.
  5. hic2wo

hic2wo New Member

Hello Adi
    I use the optimate 4 with the specific bmw connector that plugs into the socket and find it works superb , I also use it on my other bike which is non cambus but you require to reconfigure it , which is really easy . I have used optimates for years with great success and have never had to replace a battery.

boxter likes this.
  6. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

It is the first mod that I make to all the bike I have owned so far, BMW or otherwise. The dealership that sold me my bike automatically puts pigtails on ALL the bikes they sell, regardless of manufacturer. So my bike came with one, and I will admit that until I realized that my bike had one that bypassed the CANBus, I installed my own direct to the battery so I had two! :)

As for the OP's question - I suggest you get the most inexpensive intelligent charger that you have over there and, via pigtail to the battery, use that. No need to shell out extra to buy a BMW branded charger.

Phillo likes this.
  7. Al D

Al D Active Member

yeah all that friendly fire did us a power of good.

ray2 likes this.
  8. boxter

boxter Active Member

I use an optimate 4 direct to battery, using cheaper chargers means you have to disconnect one end of battery to ensure no damage to bike electrical system (according to BMW).

I only connect the charger if bikes not been used for a couple of weeks.

Ged

Al D likes this.
  9. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

when they say cheaper chargers I suspect they are advising against unregulated chargers which were in common use a few years

modern chargers, and when I say modern I am thinking from the mid 1990s when the original Optimate came out, are unlikely to damage a bike.

A vehicle's alternator is a crude charging device regulated by a crude circuit in most vehicles. These regulators are the devices most likely to fail and fuck up your battery as every Honda and Ducati owner will tell you.

Back to the OP: 3 weeks? If that is all you will have between riding the bike then you should find the battery is perfectly okay. AGM batteries do not discharge unless you have a parasitic load like an alarm. My RS has been left for 3 weeks between rides when I have gone touring in the other bike.

Grumpy Goat and oldbikemart like this.
  10. PaulB_UK

PaulB_UK Member

As above, a "direct to battery" charger will be fine, and way less expensive than a BMW charger. I've used an Oxford "Oximiser 900" on my last 4 bikes, with no issues whatsoever. An added bonus, it gives you a direct connection to the battery for mini-compressors etc (you need to upgrade the inline fuse though).

Cheers

Paul B.

boxter likes this.
  11. Alda

Alda Active Member

There are a couple of other options that might be considered depending on your circumstances.
    If you have a remote garage without power there are some excellent solar chargers available. These are low output but manage to equate battery losses. I use one on the car for long periods in airport car parks.
    When I was in Australia last year I did not want the bike to be left unattended on charge for a month. Chargers can fail and I have seen some fires with sealed batteries as a result.
    In order to maintain battery voltage I coupled a large battery (from a mobility scooter) to the bike through a socket connected to the bike battery (fused of course). This is a socket I have fitted to run external devices as others have done.
    This gave massive battery capacity and kept the battery voltage at a steady 12.6v over the month.
    Bike started immediately without additional charging on my return.
    If you have a Nav 5 or similar please note that these do not charge unless the bike is running so are best removed and charged seperatley. The battery in these can prove to be problem if they become overdischarged.
    Have a nice time in South Africa.
    Alan

boxter likes this.
  12. Mr. 36654

Mr. 36654 Well-Known Member

Considering the discussions that have taken place on this website and the differences in our versions of a common language, I can only imagine the issues with a joint mission briefing to a combined troop force or operation/maintenance manuals supplied during Lend-lease.

Flying lead???????

13. boxter

boxter Active Member

If only problems on RS's so small :)

Ged

14. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

Mine stood for 6 weeks last year with no charger attached,fired up no problem.

SauRoN likes this.
  15. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

well, we all know Norfolk is subject to a significant temporal shift

Bravo likes this.
  16. Johann

Johann New Member

8 weeks here, no issues

Bravo likes this.
  17. GordonH

DABs likes this.
  18. DABs

DABs Active Member

If it's the charger I'm thinking of, I picked up one for myself in Italy a year ago. Handy. The only issue I've subsequently found is not to recommend them as a battery maintainer to someone who will be away from home for a few weeks, as one power outage and the thing needs to be manually started again. My Ctek goes back to where is was, but is a lot more expensive.

Dave

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  19. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Been on the charger since November and I have plenty of issues :)

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  20. GordonH

Dave - you are correct - the Lidl charger doesn't return to where it left off......you have to re set it to the right programme.......not a problem when all you have to do is nil in to the garage!