No customization options are available.

Avon Storm 3D X-M review

Discussion in 'R1200RS Tyres/Tires' started by wessie, Oct 8, 2017.

1. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Any new tyre is likely to feel good compared to the worn out tyre replaced. Outgoing tyre was the Metz Z8 and they still had legal depth tread but the as expected wear (front uneven due to road camber and rear profile a bit flat) meant that handling was no longer at its best.

I can confirm the Avons perform well now they have been run in - 4 short heat cycles on my commute last week.

Turn in is very good. Seem stable on sweepers. Ride quality over bumps is good. Grip well on braking. Admittedly, I was spoilt today as we had a beautiful autumn afternoon where I was able to ride with just an unlined jacket over a T shirt. Temperature was up to 18C so the tyres didn't have to try too hard on warm, dry roads.

I'll update this thread as I encounter different weather conditions over winter.

2. James Bagley

James Bagley Well-Known Member

Thanks, wessie. I've been pleased with the Michelin stockers, but it's never too soon to gather reliable performance information. I've had good luck with Avons going back to my '74 Norton. If they hold up as well as the PR3s that I'm presently running, I'll put them on the short list...

3. boxter

boxter Active Member

I can't wait to get the Z8's off mine, they are really bad and don't instill confidence, the RP3's were a good tyre but don't last as long as the RP4, which will be going on mine ASAP.

Ged

4. Jim Evans

Jim Evans Well-Known Member

On the other hand, I can remember racing on Avon "triangulars ". It's never going to make me feel good about Avons.

5. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

so, in your mind, tyre technology has not developed since 1970?

6. alain bruneau

alain bruneau Active Member

I am at 19,300 kms on my RS as my first set. I have an appointment at my dealer for my 20K service next week and I am changing the tires as the same time . Michelin PR4 will go on the motorcycle, same as stock. I still have another 2,000 kms to go on these tires but they are getting a bit rough. Best tires I ever had on a motorcycle.

Mark, Grumpy Goat and Bravo like this.
  7. Bravo

Bravo Plenty in the tank. Contributor

I managed four and half thousand on mine before they needed changing :oops:

8. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

I think they must coat the roads in maple syrup in Canada so the rubber does not wear like on the roads we have in the UK with chunks of granite glued to the road with a bit of tar.

Bravo likes this.
  9. Jim Evans

No, thank God. Absolutely no comparison. You have to have ridden on what passed for good rubber back in the day to appreciate it. Just an old guy remembering...

10. alain bruneau

I thought the road in Quebec were bad but yours seems worse. But I avoid Quebec roads only to leave and come back home.
    Eastern Ontario and Vermont are the best places to ride. Roads perfectly even, rarely a bump and a great quality pavement.
    I am very surprise that I am getting this mileage on those tires but why change if it works for me.

11. Jim Evans

I wish I got Alain's mileage. After 8600 km my back PR4 is pretty well down to the wear bars, and the front is cupping although it has lots of tread left. I'll maybe squeeze another 1000km out of the rear. This is pretty much in line with the Metzelers I had on before. And yes, I always run the recommended pressure.

alain bruneau likes this.
  12. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

You won't regret it. I haven't so far. But if I can get equivalent grip and longevity for cheaper I am prepared to switch. BTW, 19300 km is good mileage in any book.

Mark and alain bruneau like this.
  13. alain bruneau

I ride a lot at speed between 80 to 120 kmh. I have to say that I am pretty mellow on my riding style. When I got to Vermont, it is 140kms on the highway. Every morning before leaving, I check the air pressure. I think I got far with the Michelin more because of my style of riding.

14. Allan_MV

Allan_MV Member

Mine came on Michelin PR4's. The rear was all done at 3900 miles [6400km]. The front is a bit "cupped" but I am still using it as I want to swap out as a pair this time. I love the rear tyre but the front is not my favourite. At big speeds then all is great but at low to medium speeds it has zero feedback and sometimes actually folds the front. The really odd thing is that the odd behaviour is mainly when travelling in Europe ?

I run 36F 44R I will change both front and rear this time at about 7500 as I am now on 6200.

15. oscarguitar

oscarguitar Well-Known Member

Allan, I agree about the lack of feedback from the front. The rear is just planted, but the front can be a bit of a mystery. I've had 5 sets of PR4s on various bikes, and just fancy a change. The Dunlop is getting a lot of love on here at the moment. Might go that way when these are finished, but maybe there'll be a PR5 by then.

16. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

My Z8 had an uneven wear pattern - my tyre fitter says this is normal due to the camber of roads in the UK. This became more noticeable with mileage, giving that "folding feeling" which is they way we interpret what is actually a ridge on the tyre. Right handers (roundabouts) will feel okay but left handers will feel like you are falling off a cliff.

If you think about it, roundabouts in France are the other way around so you will notice that ridge more often.

Allan_MV and oscarguitar like this.
  17. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Just had the first proper test in rain. It's very mild for October, 15C and there was perfect confidence from the start on greasy urban roads. Roundabouts were fine, the actual curves and then accelerating at high velocity onto the urban dual carriageway. There's a patch where water accumulates. It can be 20cm deep at times but today only a couple. No sign of aquaplaning or steering affected going through at 80mph. The front was cutting a nice groove through the rain at 120mph. Still very happy with these tyres.

18. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

Update: took a nice ride in the Gloucestershire & Herefordshire countryside today. A mix of A roads, B roads and single track lanes. Roads were mostly wet from rain in previous 24 hours with some quite muddy sections. Unseasonably warm at 10.5C. Tyres grip very well even on the quite slimey sections under trees or past farms.
    Last week I was using the bike for commuting with temperatures below freezing on some mornings. Roads were salted so encountered no ice but tyres barely warmed up and were perfectly grippy, even in the first couple of miles.
    Modern tyres are fantastic.

19. GordonH

GordonH Well-Known Member

Wessie - how do the Avons compare to PR4's?

Sounds like grip is good. Do they turn in better and do they lose that "woolly" feel that you get with the michelins?

20. wessie

wessie Well-Known Member

No idea. My OE tyres were Metzeler Z8, which I liked. Avons are similar to Z8 when new. Hopefully the Avons will not wear so unevenly after 5000 miles. Avons were a lot cheaper than the Z8 and much, much cheaper than PR4.