No customization options are available.

Arkansas May 2018 RS Owners Ride-In (May 6 - 10)

Discussion in 'USA Midwest Riders' started by darrell, Nov 4, 2017.

1. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Of course you can go bold but until that time you need to stay in that subdued black print. You are a skilled and bold rider so an RS buy would get all things consistent for you. Also we need a 2018 in the mix so we have something other attendees can test ride.

Olgry1 and ray2 like this.
  2. Bub

Bub Active Member

I have to get a clearer picture of my employment situation in the spring before I can commit, but I hope to attend again. I'm riding out to Quantico VA a couple weeks before this, and to SoCal, then up to WA a couple weeks after.

Grumpy Goat and ray2 like this.
  3. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Bob Ain't Stoppin' Member

OK Men! I have a final check on work schedule, but it does look like I can do this. Will be reserving in the next couple of days. Is there a room sharing process at the motel? BC can wait till fall or next year I guess.

ray2, darrell and Lee like this.
  4. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

What happens in Eureka Springs, stays in Eureka Springs.

Olgry1, ray2, Lee and 1 other person like this.
  5. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Just made reservation for John (Olgry1) and I. Looking forward to seeing what happens in Eureka Springs.:eek::D

Olgry1, ray2 and MrVvrroomm like this.
  6. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

GG - you need to think about the rhythm and the flow of the ride that your YouTube followers have come to enjoy.
    Can't you use one of those fancy helmet cameras to simply look at an area of interest to capture video, and then capture some frames for "nice pictures?"

That said, I do share a little of your sentiment. Without an on-board camera, my only photos come when stopped. (I count only 12 different photos taken in my last 16,000 miles of riding.) The wife would probably appreciate a few more, so I'd be happy ride with you.

I get the impression Lee has the most comprehensive library of photographs from motorcycle travel in the group. Maybe he and Deb could lead the way and show us how it's done.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    Grumpy Goat likes this.
  7. TreeMuncher

TreeMuncher New Member

I'll be keeping an eye on this event for my schedule. Like Bug Dr., I will be camping if I make it. Technical riding does not get much better than the Ozarks.

ray2 likes this.
  8. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Darrell himself said last time that next time we'd stop more so there are all sorts of options. :)

Grabbing a still from a video is not the best, and besides when you're looking straight the view is often off to the side. I might even get a small drone and learn how to do some quick aerial videos. Imagine what they would look like in Arkansas. :)

As for the rhythm and flow of the ride - I do like it but after a while I get bored. I am not like the typical rider like that - incessantly wanting twisties. I like some super slab too, and in that regard I am probably different from all of you. :) Less effort and concentration and more speed over the ground. Win-win. As a matter of fact I am probably a photographer, camper and motorcyclist in that order. Weird huh?

ray2 likes this.
  9. darrell

You could travel with me any day. I was on the road 112 days this year and averaged 215 miles/day. I probably took 1000 - 1500 photos along my rides. It is less about the destination and more about the journey.

Vtbob and Lee like this.
  10. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Ready to make reservation. But one quick question. I'll arrive on Monday in time for dinner. But for the last day, May 10, do people stay that night? Or is it get up on the 10th have breakfast and run for home? Thanks for a quick reply

11. darrell

Most of the group will arrive on Sunday and check out of the motel on Thursday morning the 10th staying 4 nights Sunday - Wednesday. Some riders could stay a day later but if like last year the majority of the group will leave Thursday morning, May 10, some even before breakfast.

When you get your reservation all in place drop me a private note with your information so I can add you to the list of attendees.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  12. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Thanks Darrrell. Heading to the web site now.

13. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

OK. I'm booked in for Mon, Tues, Wed nights. I have 3 days at about 500 miles each to get there. So I may need to find you at the restaurant on Monday for the dinner. Will try to phone if that is the case. Lot's of slab to keep this at a three day ride down there. Darrell, PM heading your way.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  14. darrell

Welcome Bob. Thanks for bringing a 2017 model to join the aging 2016 models. Grump owned by Grumpy Goat could be a bit jealous but I'd guess as owner he will sort this out with some late evening conversations out in the parking lot long after others have retired. We ride in smaller groups so you be welcomed to join most any of us. Your information has been added to the recap on post 1.

15. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

I have a list of things for the parking lot conversations. Want to see what bar risers feel like an such. My bike is totally stock at this point. Somewhere around 4500 miles at the moment. With temp right now at 14 degrees F it looks like my last ride will be to gas up with Satbil and put the bike to bed for the winter.

ray2 and MrVvrroomm like this.
  16. darrell

With this group you'll have plenty opportunity to learn lots of things what the other attendees have done with their bikes that worked and what did not. No one is bashful about sharing things. Some things on my bike are a result of others helping me with ideas for the bike including Lee taking an hour to help me with some things on my GPS that I could not figure out or Bruce helping me with hand guards and LED turn signal bulbs.

terry847, ray2 and MrVvrroomm like this.
  17. Dejocko

Dejocko Member

Maybe I'll see y'all around the area on the 10th. I ran through Arkansas on a solo trip last June 18th-June 24th and absolutely loved it.

I've been planning my return to Arkansas solo trip and it's currently scheduled for 05/08 or 05/09-05/16 but I will be going to St. Louis for a day first then heading south to Mountain Home, Arkansas and spending a few hours on Push Mountain Road.

I highly recommend checking out Push Mountain Road! I only did it once last year and it was probably the biggest regret of my trip. Such a fun road and I only saw 3 other cars the whole way.

I actually might push my trip up and leave home on the 4th or 5th and make it out there sooner but I'm going up to St. Louis for a night first regardless, but we will see.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Bub, Olgry1 and ray2 like this.
  18. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Push Mountain (Hwy 341) is a fun road. upload_2017-11-12_20-32-36.gif upload_2017-11-12_20-32-39.gif

Not far from Mountain Home, downstream of Bull Shoals Dam is Gaston's. Good place for Trout and Catfish plus it's neat to check out the antiques hanging from the walls and ceiling.
    [​IMG]

Dining room hangs over the river.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  19. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Right. Thanks to both of you for the reminder. I found my pack fly rod fits in my luggage.... Already have a couple extra days set aside to play in the area. They pull some big fish out of Gaston's when the flood gates open.

Of course, if it's like last year..., I heard about some guys pulling fish out of a Walmart parking lot....

Barring detours due to high water, I currently plan to ride about 400 miles of backroad from St. Louis to Eureka Springs - with a couple of short stops - in about 9 h (at about 10 mph over the speed limit) starting early on the 6th of May. If you're in town and don't mind a slower riding partner, you can throw that guided option into the mix.... Well, until the weather dictates I leave on the 4th for a day of fishing at Gaston's....

20. Olgry1

Olgry1 Member

Terry 847 and I rode Push Mountain again in early October this year. It is a great road!
    On the way down there this fall we saw a blue and white R1200RS heading east on 44 in Missouri. I was going to post that fact earlier but the memory is not what it used to be LOL. Anyone here heading east around that time (October 6th or 7th) on 44?