No customization options are available.

Arkansas May 2018 RS Owners Ride-In (May 6 - 10)

Discussion in 'USA Midwest Riders' started by darrell, Nov 4, 2017.

1. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

The second annual Arkansas RS Owners Ride-In for RS owners and their guests is happening. I thank Wayne (Grumpy Goat) and Terry (Terry847) for working with me to get all this going over 16 months ago during our meeting at the BMWMOA Rally in Hamburg, NY.

Dates are Sunday, May 6 - Thursday, May 10 (checkout)
    Location is Eureka Springs, Arkansas
    Rooms reserved at the Edelweiss Inn (www.edelweissinn.com)

2018 Attendees
    Darrell (darrell) 1 room (5), 1 person, Minnesota, 650 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Wayne (Grumpy Goat) 1 room (4), 1 person, Texas, 652 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Terry (Terry847) 1 room (4), 2 persons, Illinois, 652 miles, 2016 R1200RS

John (Olgry1) room with Terry, Illinois, 652 miles, 2016 K1600GT
    Lee (Lee) 1 room (4), 2 persons, Iowa, 405 miles, 2016, R1200RS
    Debbie (not on forum) room with Lee, Iowa, 405 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Ray (ray2) 1 room (4), 1 person, Missouri, 347 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Bruce (mrvvrroomm) 1 room (4), 2 persons, Minnesota, 648 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Dawn (not on forum) room with Bruce, Minnesota, 648 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Bob (Bob Ain't Stopping') 1 room (3), 1 person, Massachusetts, 1523 miles, 2017 R1200RS
    Chris (86Magna) 1 room (4), 2 persons, Kansas, 224 miles, 2016 R1200RS

Lance (not on forum) room with Chris, Kansas, 224 miles, 2012 K1300S
    Ron (runnerhiker) 1 room (4), 1 person, Colorado, 815 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Steve (Bub), 1 room (4), 1 person, Illinois, 417 miles, 2016 R1200RS

Recap of Attendees
    14 riders, 14 attendees, 10 rooms, 8 states, 12 R1200RS models, 2 other BMW models, 0 non BMW models, 8262 ride-in direct miles

I have all 19 rooms reserved and held until April 8, 2018. There are 11 rooms with king beds and 8 rooms with 2 queen beds. There are 12 rooms on the front of the motel (6 downstairs) and 7 rooms on the back of the motel. Parking is in front of your rooms.

Rates are the same as 2017. Nightly rates are $64/night and reduced $5 per night if you stay 4 consecutive nights for our event dates. Rates are $10/night higher if you arrive over the weekend but note there are only a few rooms left as another motorcycle group has reserved most of the rooms over the weekend. Above rates do not include tax that will be added.

For those new attending there are 4 eating locations within 3 blocks, a trolley that covers the city stops in front of the motel so easy to get around town on a rainy day, and plenty of opportunity to ride some really nice roads.

Because I have all 19 motel rooms held until April 8 there is a cancellation charge for late cancellations regardless of the reason.

Cancel 2 weeks before (by noon on April 22) - no charge. Cancel less than 2 weeks but one week before (by noon on April 29) - one night charge of $64. Cancel less than one week (after noon on April 29) - 50% of the whole reservation at $64/night. These same rules apply if you shorten a reservation less than reserved. Above rates do not include tax that will be added.

This year I'd like each person to bring a motorcycle related door prize but not one you go out and buy. This should be something in the $10 - $15 range and an item you have laying around your garage or house. Wash gloves, quart of oil, lock tight, t-shirt, drinking mug, you get it.

I will plan 2 dinners for the group. One on Sunday night at the Italian Restaurant right next to the motel and another one on Monday night at the biker hangout 3 blocks away. Other than that each person can chose where they want to eat. Lots of choices plus the grocery store a mile away if you want to eat at the motel.

One of the things last years attendees commented on is they liked the list of who was attending, their forum names, how long they were staying, where they were from, how many direct miles they were riding to get there and their bike model. Once you make your reservation would you start a conversation with me with that information and who is staying in your room if sharing a room.

This year you can make your reservations on line. Here is the process. Log on the Edelweiss Inn on line reservation for just our group, (Please do not share this link with anyone else outside our forum or they can reserve rooms) Click on this link (https://v2.reservationkey.com/EdelweissInn/Reservations/hid|2532882), enter your dates of stay, enter search and check out the available rooms, fill out all orange colored boxes, in the spot listed as Optional Discount or Gift Cert. Code type in BMWR1200RS so if staying 4 nights it will reduce your room by $5 per night, enter make reservation and in the summary near the top you'll see the discount applied on your room which is already reduced $5 for our group.

The motel has its annual winter closing on November 12 and reopening in March of 2018. Robert the owner will not be available via phone or email for a couple of months during this time period.

I'll keep the attendee list current. If you see a mistake or your name is not listed please let me know so I can adjust.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Spratz, ray2 and Lee like this.
  2. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

A teaser?!? What a professional. Must have a marketing background.
    Standing by.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  3. darrell

Information on the 2018 Arkansas RS Owners Ride-In has been updated so you can go on line and make your reservations.

ray2, Lee and MrVvrroomm like this.
  4. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

This means I have to ride the RS?
    Thanks for all your hard work Darrell.

ray2 likes this.
  5. darrell

No, you could ride that white thing but then you loose your name in bold print so will be like John plus you will be rooming with Dawn vs her now rooming with you.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Olgry1, ray2, terry847 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Excellent. Thanks again Darrell. Looking forward to it again. :)

7. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Darrell, you da man!! As Wayne said, thanks again and looking forward to the Ride-In 2.

8. MrVvrroomm

So, this is the 2nd annual Arkansas meeting of 2016 R1200RS's?

ray2 likes this.
  9. darrell

Well with only 50 - 2017 models brought in to the country if I understand correct and some of those not sold and really no 2018 models delivered yet it could be the gathering of the 2016 clan. I was hoping we could get a few 2017 and 2018 model owners to show up. Think they would let us use theirs for some test rides?

Grumpy Goat, terry847 and MrVvrroomm like this.
  10. ray2

If you didn't take it to Europe already....
    Actually, as well as you ride, as far as I'm concerned, you can bring anything you want.

Always had trouble with the term first annual. This would certainly establish the event as annual.

Olgry1, darrell and MrVvrroomm like this.
  11. ray2

Pure Arkansas.
    Trying to find an excuse not to work, I did the reservation thing and received my email. Maybe I do too much editing for my job, but this one popped out at me as funny at more than one level. Robert might be from Switzerland, but he does know how to fit into the local culture.
    Arkansas Turism Tax $5.12
    (Everyone in Missouri know it's Toerism)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Bub, Olgry1, MrVvrroomm and 2 others like this.
  12. Bug Dr.

Bug Dr. Member

"Turism"......I can tell I'm going to have to teach some of you how to speak properly in the south :p

I hope I can make it to this event since I'm pretty sure I will have the shortest riding distance at ~100 miles (is there an award for that?). I won't need reservations as I will more than likely be camping at the Kettle Campground on the east side of Eureka Springs. I will let you know if I will be able to make it closer to May.
    Hope to see you then.
    Mike

ray2 likes this.
  13. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Short distance rider gets to buy the beer :)

terry847 and ray2 like this.
  14. Grumpy Goat

Hehehe ... nah ... Grump would get jealous. :D Would be nice to see them though.

15. Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Bob Ain't Stoppin' Member

So I'm very interested in this. It's 1400 miles if I slab it, and that ain't gonna happen. So prolly 1800 miles by the time I make a fun route out of it. Plus, I was thinking British Columbia in the spring and I couldn't do both. Wish there was more time to procrastinate on this. Anyone else from New England thinking about making a run?

PS: My bike is a 2017 :)

16. darrell

Take a look at last years event. Check out the photos and you can quickly see this group had a blast together. I've been around lots of groups but I quickly found this group some of the best motorcycle riders I've met. With few of us knowing each other before the Ride-In we all settled in as riding friends immediately. If possible find a means to come join us. For a youngster like you, 1800 miles is like a ride across town for others. Hope to see you. Also I'd like to see how Grump behaves when jealous and maybe even better how Grumpy Goat handles a jealous Grump.

17. ray2

Seems like the time between now and April is plenty of time to procrastinate.

VTBob and his friend from Massachusetts have a few years over you and made the Eureka scene as part of their trip to the Southwest. He might offer you some thoughts, if you ask. Originally from New England, I like to point out, there's no frost heave in the roads of Arkansas, and you'll find it some of the best riding in the country. The event is timed for some of the best riding weather of the year for this region.... Of course, thanks to weather right before last year's event, there are now several nice new bridges and stretches of riverside roads in this area. (I did check on Akers Ferry in the Missouri Ozarks a couple of weeks ago, and it's up and running.) (Note how low and slow the water is this fall....)
    upload_2017-11-6_22-31-47.png

Unless you are like me and will suffer sub-zero temperatures and the possibility of morning ice in the mountains just to avoid bugs, I am not sure you want to hit BC in early May.

That said, unless you're still working full-time, you need to communicate with @darrell about life's priorities. By the time you finish, he'll have you on a 6-week bit of life that hits Arkansas in early May, BC in early June, and a comfortable trip home across the northern tier.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Lee and Grumpy Goat like this.
  18. Grumpy Goat

One thing is for sure ... I will want to do more stopping on the rides to take some nice pictures. Last time we did not take any photos despite many photo ops. :(

19. MrVvrroomm

Dawn & I are in!

20. Olgry1

Olgry1 Member

I am looking forward to seeing everyone again and meeting some new people. Needless to say I am looking forward to some spirited riding on the wonderful roads in Arkansas.
    Darrell, if I buy an RS will you put name in Big Bold letters? ;)

terry847, MrVvrroomm and ray2 like this.