No customization options are available.

Arkansas May 2017 RS Owners Ride-In

Discussion in 'USA Midwest Riders' started by darrell, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member Contributor

It was fun to watch. Most of the time I could tell what roads you were on.

On one of those switchbacks south of Oark on 103 I met a logging truck mid turn.
    Both of us were able to stop. Debbie was able to stop before the switchback because she does not wear ear plugs and heard the Jack Brakes before I did.

2. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Thanks. Yes I saw the ride you are putting together. Sounds like it would be another good time. I probably will be RV camping with the wife as we have neglected that for over a year and I committed to that.

3. Grumpy Goat

I know ... :) so many things to do and this one took a bit more editing as I had about 2 hours worth of footage to distill down to 30 minutes or less. The next two videos for that trip will be shorter and not as interesting in terms of riding.

4. Grumpy Goat

Ouch. Yes the switchbacks can catch you by surprise the first time. Doesn't help that it is on a steep climb as well. :confused:

5. Grumpy Goat

Yes they were. I was admiring them when you went behind me. I will be getting a pair one of these days. Maybe next year. The Nav 6 killed the budget for this year. :(

6. Lee

Been on that road many times so the switchback was no surprise, but meeting the logging truck was.
    On switchbacks I usually try to look up and back to see if anyone is coming, but that one had to much brush and trees to see.

7. Bub

Bub Active Member

Nice job! Fun to watch that and relive the ride.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  8. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Wayne, nice video. Finally had a chance to watch as have been camping at the BMW RA Rally in Petoskey, MI the last 3 days and didn't want to take the time. Your video reminds I need to stop more often so others can see the sights from the various pull outs along the roads. Next spring I'll get my act together.

Grumpy Goat likes this.
  9. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member

Wait..., was I supposed to be watching the road? As I commented at the time, the pace was perfect; the bike was turning all by itself, so I could enjoy the scenery. I'd say I could have used more stops for photos, but I'd be lying. My wife usually doesn't have the patience to look through more than 3 or 4 per trip....

That said, as we get older, the bladders are going to be calling for more turnouts with or without scenery....

Hope your time in northern Michigan was enjoyable. I assume you did the U.P. and some of the forest service roads to get there.

runnerhiker, Grumpy Goat and Lee like this.
  10. Grumpy Goat

Another one will be uploaded in 10 minutes. Basically a much shorter one of my Day 5 heading back to Houston, via the Ouachita State Forest and overnighting in Texarkana.

11. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Actually spent 4 days in the lower part of MI visiting the Gerald Ford Presiential Museum (now visited 9 of the 13 Presidential Museums and a couple of other smaller stops. Tomorrow will start a ride over the top of Lake Superior. Coming back to UP of MI in 2 weeks with a friend I take on a 1 week, 2000 mile tour each year. And no forest service roads so far with the GSA.

ray2 likes this.
  12. Grumpy Goat

Day 5 video. Shorter than the previous one. :)

Bub, Lee and darrell like this.
  13. Lee

Thanks.
    You were headed to Texarkana and mentioned Quachita Forest so I'm guessing you went through Mena Ark.
    Next year if you have time, check out Talimena Senic drive west of Mena.
    There's a nice Arkansas State Lodge near the top and it was recently renovated. We have not seen it since it's been rebuilt.
    If the weather is iffy, take another route :) the fog can get thick up there.
    http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/things-to-do/talimena-scenic-drive/
    http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/

14. Grumpy Goat

Yes I was on the 71 and likely passed east of Mena. Talimena Scenic Drive certainly looks nice indeed and would be worth including in the route regardless, unless as you say, the weather is poor. Thanks for the suggestion!

15. Lee

We thought about taking it on our way up from Texas but the weather was iffy and decided to stay on main roads.