No customization options are available.

Arkansas May 2017 RS Owners Ride-In

Discussion in 'USA Midwest Riders' started by darrell, Sep 16, 2016.

1. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Bob, sorry to hear about the vertigo problem and shortened trip. Glad you are feeling better and hopefully you will not have any more problems in the future. But it is good that you are seeking additional medical advice. It was good that Ron was with you, it is always good to have someone with you on a trip to help in situations like this. Having the company is always good too. :cool: Ron is a good guy.
    It was good to meet both of you in Arkansas. Since your trip was not completed, you will have to try it again next year, starting in Eureka Springs with the 2nd annual R1200RS Ride In. :D
    Stay safe and well.

2. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

Bob, appreciate the update but sorry to hear about the issue causing you to end you ride. As other said, wise choice. Traveling with a friend like Ron likely made it a bit easier for you. Take care of yourself and we all hope you'll be back on the road soon. Drop me a note if there is anything I can be of help with or just to say hello and let me know how you are doing. We'd all be honored to have you attend our 2018 Ride-In.

3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

CALL FOR PHOTOS

Guys - I had requested earlier if anyone had some photos they'd like to share to either post them here or send to me in a Conversation. I am editing my video footage now and my Day 1 is about to be uploaded.

However I have no pictures of me (since they may have been taken by others), so please forward pics by either Conversation or post them here.

My Day 2 should be edited tomorrow and that is when I met the rest of the gang - on the Monday. I do have pictures already uploaded to this thread up to this point.

4. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

5. Grumpy Goat

Thanks Lee.

Here is the video of my Day 1:

darrell, Spratz, Vtbob and 1 other person like this.
  6. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Bummer. That would get in the way of riding, and to be honest, if anyone earned and deserved a good trip, it was you guys.

NO question, if you have even a minor vestibular function the bike is no fun. Not only are there the positional changes (as in "benign positional vertigo"), but even the vibration causes vertigo.

This was just published in Frontiers in Neurology (presumably in the only magazine Richard230 doesn't read every month).
    The Skull Vibration-Induced Nystagmus Test of Vestibular Function-A Review. Dumas G1, Curthoys IS2, Lion A3, Perrin P4, Schmerber S5.
    "A 100-Hz bone-conducted vibration applied to either mastoid induces instantaneously a predominantly horizontal nystagmus, with quick phases beating away from the affected side in patients with a unilateral vestibular loss (UVL). The same stimulus in healthy asymptomatic subjects has little or no effect." Front Neurol. 2017 Mar 9;8:41

And we all know, benign positional vertigo ain't so benign at 85 mph - even on a straight road.

Here's a terrible Turkish study - nobody believes it. Most importantly - everyone was better a month later
    Prevalence of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo among motocross racers: a case-control study. Hanc─▒ D1, Altun H.
    Abstract
    OBJECTIVES:
    This study aims to investigate the prevalence of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) among motocross racers after cross-country up and downhill activities.
    PATIENTS AND METHODS:
    This case-control study included 40 motocross racers (39 males, 1 female; mean age 26 years; range 21 to 43 years) and 40 healthy controls (30 males, 10 females; mean age 28 years; range 22 to 43 years) who had no hearing or balance problems. The Dix-Hallpike maneuver was applied to confirm the diagnosis of BPPV. Patients with BPPV were administered the Epley maneuver every week for one month and followed-up for treatment response assessment.
    RESULTS:
    Motocross and control groups were similar in terms of demographic and laboratory parameters. While BPPV was detected in four motocross racers (10%) according to Dix-Hallpike maneuver outcome and clinical findings, there was no BPPV in the control group. Of the motocross racers with BPPV, three had unilateral, one had bilateral disease. Of these patients, Epley maneuver was applied two times in two patients and three times in the other two patients. There was no vertigo or nystagmus in any of the patients with BPPV in one month.
    CONCLUSION:
    Intensive motocross activity is a cause of post-traumatic BPPV developing without head trauma. Large-scale, randomized controlled studies are needed to establish the post-traumatic etiology of BPPV in motocross racers. Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg. 2015;25(5):279-83. doi: 10.5606/kbbihtisas.2015.90922.

There's a lot of expensive and time-consuming provocative tests that can be done to determine if there is any residual problem, but I think the best provocative testing is back on the bike - once you feel healed up and can stand on one leg and shake your head back and forth.... If you have to see a doctor - aim for a vestibular trained neurologist or ENT who knows this area. These guys are pretty rare and might require a trip to Boston Eye and Ear infirmary - but there is efficiency in seeing guys who don't have to guess. And, as you know - time is not money; time is life. (Bikes are money. Well, bikes are money and life.)

I sympathize. I did the vertigo thing 2 summers ago, in the middle of a really hot bicycle trip to give a talk at a meeting in Kansas City. I started steering to the left. Everytime I shook my head or looked behind me, I would fall. Scared the crap out of me. Took 2 days to crawl home the 100 miles I covered in one. I checked for heavy metal poisoning among other things, then feeling better, drove carefully to KC and gave my talk. All better in 2-3 weeks.... Pretty damn frustrating, but thankful when it got better. I'm knocking on wood as I acknowledge no recurrent problems to date.

One of the working theories for the most common cause of vertigo is that some of the little stones ("canaliths") that tell us when we are up, down, and sideways get shaken into the wrong place, and there's a lot of work to figure out how to shake them back. Probably true, but if it were that simple, GP riders wouldn't last a season.

Presumably mine was sleep deprivation and hyperthermia on top of allergies and consequently unhappy inner ear workings on one side, though I've always wondered what happens to my ear drum when I spend day-in and day-out sweating with one of my Leiter foam plugs in too deep and constantly tickling my ear drum similar to the way we can (temporarily) make people dizzy by putting cold or hot water in one ear or the other. I looked it up again just now - no reports in the medical literature to date on stuff in the ear canal screwing up the inner ear on the other side of the ear drum without poking holes in it. (Yeah, I even wear hearing protection on my bicycle..., I'm that fast..., not.)

Get better. Will be riding back from the sleep medicine meetings in Boston in a few weeks by way of relatives south of you in Bridgewater and environs. Would like to think there are a couple of us on the same roads at the same time.

7. Olgry1

Olgry1 Member

Bob I am glad you and Ron were able to make it home ok and hope you are feeling better. It was a pleasure meeting you and Ron and hope to see you again next year.

8. Vtbob

Vtbob Well-Known Member

Ray2 Thanks for the informative input. I'm doing some homework (your input helps) to find out who best to see. My GP is doing the same.
    Generally I feel 100%. I did have another episode for about 15 minutes friday. The repeat, while short, is what concerns me most.

Waiting to get the RS back. Will be getting back on the bicycle for the first time today. I need that exercise.

ray2 likes this.
  9. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Well-Known Member

Great you both made it home ok. Great meeting you guys, hope to see you again next year.
    Dawn had a severe case of vertigo last year in Malaga, Spain. Thankfully it was AFTER we had finished our motorcycle tour.
    She suffered with it three weeks twice in a few months.
    The first time she had vestibular neuritis, an infection damaged the nerves.
    At the advice of her physician she went to National Dizziness and Balance Center.
    The second bout was crystals were loose. PT did exercise to get them back in the box.
    She worked with PT there on exercises to retrain brain to balance.
    While suffering from her vertigo she was exhausted all the time. Her brain was trying to balance all day.
    Bob, contact me via PM if you'd like to talk to Dawn. She can give you much more info that I can type.

10. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Good information guys.

11. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Good to hear.
    Best we walk before we run.
    Hopefully the vertigo becomes only a memory - and memorable story.

12. Spratz

Spratz Member

runnerhiker, terry847 and ray2 like this.
  13. Grumpy Goat

14. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

15. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I found Day 2. Let us know when you upload the other days.

16. Grumpy Goat

Did you find Day 1?

I am working on the second part of Day 2 where Michael and I went for a ride and also photos of us all at the "Rockin Pig Saloon". :)

17. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Yep, saw it in post #225.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  18. Grumpy Goat

Hehe ... I am losing it. :confused:

19. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

:D:D

20. terry847

terry847 Active Member