No customization options are available.

Arkansas May 2017 RS Owners Ride-In

Discussion in 'USA Midwest Riders' started by darrell, Sep 16, 2016.

1. darrell

darrell Well-Known Member Contributor

First annual Arkansas Ride-In for RS owners and their invited friends is scheduled. While at the BMWMOA Rally in July, Wayne (Grumpy Goat)), Terry (Terry847), and myself (darrell) decided we should plan a get together for RS owners. I volunteered to take the lead and organize.

Dates are April 30 - May 3, 2017 (4 nights)
    Location is Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Attendees
    Darrell (darrell) 1 room (7), 1 person, Minnesota, 650 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Wayne (Grumpy Goat), 1 room (3), 1 person, Texas, 652 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Terry (Terry 847), 1 room (5), 2 persons, Illinois, 652 miles, 2016 R1200RS

John (Olgry1), room with Terry, Illinois, 652 miles, 2015 R1200RT
    Lee (Lee) 1 room (5), 2 persons, Iowa, 405 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Debbie (not on forum), room with Lee, Iowa, 405 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Steve (Bub), 1 room (4), 1 person, Illinois, 417 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Ray (ray2), 1 room (2), 1 person, Missouri, 347 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Michael (Spratz), 1 room (3), 2 persons, Illinois, 638 miles, 2016 R1200RS

Liz (not on forum), room with Micheal, Illinois, XXX miles, Passenger
    Bob (vtbob), 1 room (3), 1 person, Vermont, 1350 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Ron (not on forum), room with Bob, Massachusetts, 1354 miles, 2009 R1200RT
    Ron (runnerhiker), 1 room (4), 1 person, Colorado, 850 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Dawn (not on forum), 1 room (4), 2 persons, Minnesota, 648 miles, 2016 R1200RS

Bruce (mrvvrroomm), room with Dawn, Minnesota, 648 miles, 2016 KTM Super Adventure

Recap
    14 riders, 15 attendees, 10 rooms, 8 states, 11 R1200RS models, 2 other BMW models, 1 non BMW model, 9668 ride-in direct miles

Weather forced cancellations
    George (gc141x), 1 room (2), 1 person, Illinois, 480 miles, 2016 R1200RS
    Brad (megamucho), 1 room (4), 1 person, Colorado, 775 miles, 2016 R1200RS

I have reserved 12 rooms (8 with king beds and 4 with 2 queen beds) at the motel and these rooms are held under my name until April 10, 2017 at which time I'll need to release to the general public.

Edelweiss Inn in Eureka Springs, AR (www.edelweissinn.com) is our reserved motel. Room rates are $64/night for the 4 nights reserved and $74/night if you come early over the weekend. Staying 4 consecutive nights gets you a $5 discount/night. Tax is added to this rate. $6/person if more than 2 in a room. No smoking or pets allowed in the rooms. Cancellations must occur by noon 2 days before you are due to check in and include the same notice if you leave early while staying at the motel. The motel is fully reserved to another group starting the Thursday following our event.

To make your reservations call the Edelweiss Inn at 800-870-2529 and ask for Robert (no on line reservations). Use the code words "Penning Group BMW R1200RS" so he knows you are responding to my posting. This motel is closed for part of winter starting November 12 so leave a message if calling after that and Robert will call you back. You'll have towels to clean your bikes each day, coffee in your rooms and lobby, restaurants within a block of motel, music entertainment theater a mile away and lots of other places within a mile with food and adult beverages.

This would be a fun place to bring a non riding spouse, partner or friend as plenty of things to do downtown and in the area. The trolley runs right by the motel so easy to get the 2 miles to old downtown Eureka Springs.

The Arkansas Ozarks is a great riding area with very few straight roads. I've spent the past week riding down to Arkansas, riding in the Ozarks for 3 days and riding back home. I ride down to this area 1 or 2 times each year to enjoy the area. A 250 mile day in the Ozarks can be a long day due to the technical roads you'll ride. I expect many of you will ride alone but I and others will be happy to lead some smaller groups for those who prefer riding in groups.

I ask of each attendee to bring a $10 - 15 valued item for a door prize (T-shirts, cleaning mitts, motorcycling related item, etc) that Wayne, Terry and I will determine how to give out.

Also if each of you attending would send me via conversation or post on line, your real name, your forum name, how many nights you reserved, number in your party, what state you are coming from, how many miles you are coming from and your year and model of motorcycle, I'll keep a log updated and posted. This will give me and you a notice of how reservations are going and how big a group to expect. I don't want anyone to expect you'll be totally catered to while at the event as this is just Wayne, Terry and myself arranging a place for us to get together, get to know each other and have some fun on and off the bikes.

So riders, lets have a Ride-In, some fun together, and share some knowledge we have that others can benefit from. This event is not part of any other club, organization, etc. It is solely a group of the forums RS riders and their invited friends getting together to ride and meet each other.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    MrVvrroomm, megamucho, gc141x and 2 others like this.
  2. Bub

Bub Active Member

That's a great area to ride. I'll be riding in the Ozarks next week, but farther east and mostly in Missouri. I also get there a couple times a year, but from central Illinois. I'm going to try and make this, sounds fun. Thanks for organizing!

darrell likes this.
  3. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Updated the miles to the Edelweiss Inn from my house - 652 miles - and the number of persons - 1 (me). I am presently extending the invitation to 2 workmates who I rode with before but they have not got back to me yet, although one is interested. So for now 1 person. I should have a bike way before then and my leg should be 1000% healed. :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  4. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I'll call and make a reservation tomorrow.
    A little early to know how it will fit into Debbie's work schedule next spring, but figured we better get a reservation and hope it works.

5. ray2

ray2 Well-Known Member Contributor

Always love the optimism of a "First Annual" event.

I'll figure out how to have some coffee and ride a few miles with you on my way to a meeting in Austin on Wednesday 3 May. Depending on itineraries, I'll make a reservation for Sunday night at the Edelweiss.

As many already know, this area has some of the most varied selections of roads in the country. Although Eureka Springs is only 300 fairly straight miles and a few hours by interstate from Saint Louis, the round-trip has also been a 5 day and >1000 twisted-mile ride through the hills and forests of southern MO....

Just me and my only motorized bike - 2016 R12ooRS.

6. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Reservation made for 5 nights.

7. Bub

Bub Active Member

I just made a reservation for 4 nights.

8. darrell

There is recap of attendees and other information at the end of my initial post announcing this event. I'll attempt to keep this updated as others contact me with their information.

9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Here's a map of roads I like in NW Arkansas.
    This map is a Rand McNally which does not have enough detail. I would recommend a Butler Map, Ozark Edition.
    [​IMG]

I marked Elk on the map. Early morning or late afternoon you can see Elk along hwy 74 near Ponca.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    ray2 and darrell like this.
  10. darrell

Last weeks stop for lunch at the 127 year old continuously operated general store in Oark. Someone ran over the gas pump earlier in the week but it'll be ready for us to use. 20160913_122047.jpg 20160913_122259.jpg

ray2, Grumpy Goat and Lee like this.
  11. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Good pie at the Oark [​IMG][​IMG]

darrell likes this.
  12. terry847

terry847 Active Member

Just reserved 2 rooms for the 4 days of the event. May add a day or two at a later date depending on how much fun we are having.
    Will be coming from Aurora, Illinois (about 652 miles, maybe more depending on how we get there). As of now there will be two of us, my buddy John riding his R1200RT and me on the RS. I reserved a second room as I have at least 1 if not 2 others I have invited but not gotten a definite answer from yet.
    This should be a lot of fun.

gc141x, ray2, darrell and 1 other person like this.
  13. OKBMW

OKBMW Active Member Contributor

I'm going to try and make it, it's been a while since I've rode the Ozarks and I'm only a few hours away. Just got back from Blue Ridge Georgia and riding the Smokies, the whole area around the "Tail of the Dragon". Didn't ride the Dragon this time and didn't miss it a bit, plenty of other good routes to ride.
    Hope to meet all of you next Spring.

darrell likes this.
  14. Grumpy Goat

Grumpy Goat Well-Known Member Contributor

Give it some thought, then.

Just think, this trip was spawned when Darrell, Terry and I (and Terry's RT-riding friend John) met for the first and only time at the Rally. We hit it off and Darrell suggested that we meet up in a central (to us) location. Just imagine what can happen if several of us from the forum do come on this Ride and hit it off similarly! :D

ray2, darrell and terry847 like this.
  15. Hotboot

Hotboot Active Member

I could be in for this, a bunch of RS owners enjoying some of the best roads anywhere sounds great. Lee's map indicates my favorites, 123 and 74 and 123 and 16 and ....
    The gas pump at Oark was bound to happen, chocolate creme or buttermilk for me please, then a nap.
    Plenty of time to plan, I'll be up there based in Harrison once or twice soon. ES is a great town for entertainment and things to do for non riders and guys who need a break. The good roads are an hour east so plan your return accordingly.

ray2 likes this.
  16. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Another good place to eat is the Low Gap Cafe on hwy 74, ten miles west of Jasper.
    Closed Sunday Monday and Tuesday.
    http://www.lowgapcafe.com/index.html
    [​IMG]

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

darrell and ray2 like this.
  17. 86Magna

86Magna Member

I made my reservation. I'll be bringing a friend with his K1300S

darrell and ray2 like this.
  18. petey

petey Member

Peter (petey} Made reservation, two queen beds looking for a non snoring room mate to split the cost. I'm coming from Stillwater, OK, (230 m) ride my 2016 RS in AR quite often, looking forward meeting some RS riders. I see Hotboot is on this forum, I met him on FJR Forum. C'mon Hotboot let's meet in person.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    ray2 and darrell like this.
  19. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Hwy 74 west of Kingston.

[​IMG]

Spratz, ray2, Bub and 1 other person like this.
  20. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Good food at the Low Gap Cafe on Hwy 74.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

gc141x, Spratz, ray2 and 1 other person like this.